1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Midlands and the North', or Mercia and Northumbria?

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by kebabking, Jan 18, 2018.

?

rename the forum?

1. Mercia and Northumbria

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Mercia and the North

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Midlands and Northumbria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stay the same

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Summat else..

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

name change?

'the Midlands' is a shit term, its not really the name of a place, it only describes it in relation to other places - which is crap. not being a proper Northerner, though having lived in the North several times and very happily, i'm not really qualified to say whether 'the North' is a good term, so i'll defer to the Northern folk.

poll.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

the northern souls

Slo-mo likes this.
  3. cheesethief

cheesethief Active Member

A: Where is 'Mercia'? :confused:
    B: That'll be the Midlands...

4. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Mercia ran right down to London and Northumbria contained Eastern Scotland.
    I think it’s fine as is.

Slo-mo and weepiper like this.
  5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Does the "Northumbria" include what is now the Lake District and the Border Reivers area ?

6. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

I think 'the north' is a pretty good term and northumbria just seems a bit too twee for the modern north. I totally understand if our downtrodden midlands brethren wish to reclaim the term Mercia though, it does have a much nicer ring to it.

7. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Yes. And part of Scotland...

8. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

i assumed it would be the old, litteral meaning - the land north of the Humber - rather than the modern county.

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

'The North' is basically anything above the M25 these days isn't it to the London 'yoof'

10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

No.

Much of Cumbria (Yr Hen Ogledd, Rheged, Strathcylde whatever) wasn't part of Northumbria and only joined a unified England later iirc.

11. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

250px-Kingdom_of_Northumbria_in_AD_802.jpg
    c800AD.

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

It depends on which dates you want to use as the template, but perhaps the English and Welsh forums could be rearranged thusly:

[​IMG]

The Danelaw forum would cover the north and east (including London), and Alfred's Kingdom would include much of the south west, excluding those areas where the Britons were not under Alfred's rule. It would be up to those remaining areas to decide which forum to join or form their own.

*runs*

tim, Plumdaff, baldrick and 7 others like this.
  13. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

The ‘modern county’ is called Northumberland not Northumbria.

14. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I like 'The Midlands.' It sounds kind of naff. It's apt.

15. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I like the Danelaw myself. We'd probably still be drinking foaming ale from horns and bullying churls if it wasn't for edward the elder :(

marty21 and danny la rouge like this.
  16. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

depending on where in anglia/midlands/danelaw I've lived depends which sets of 'local news' and 'regional programming' I get. This used to be more novelty when there was more regional variance rather than the homogeneous bland gruel we call modern local news.

17. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Yorkshire and surroundings :)

18. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

The People's Republic of Northumbromercia.

19. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

First thing I thought when I saw the name of this sub-forum was 'fucking typical Londoners lumping the Midlands and the north together.' :mad:

Surely the north should have its own sub-forum, then the Midlands can just be ignored.

I'm a southerner by birth (and lived there most of my life) btw, although have defected to Yorkshire and couldn't be paid enough to go back.:thumbs:

20. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I've been campaigning for this for years.

They've even got a separate forum for some Sunday league team they all follow :rolleyes::facepalm:

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  21. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

North should have it's own forum. What Midlanders choose to get up to is their business.

Don't be daft - we don't want to be accentuating the negative aspects of the North like by focusing on Yorkieshire. :(

It'd be better as the 'The North (grudgingly including Yorkshire, but only because we can't get rid of them)' :p

moose and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  22. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Either Midlands or Mercia is fine just don't lump us in with the north or south :mad:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  23. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

So does "the north" and "the south".:confused:

24. farmerbarleymow

The 'inbetweenies'; 'neither one or t'others'; 'sandwich fillers'; etc. :thumbs:

moochedit likes this.
  25. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I have a client with "Mercia" in its name. I was talking about them to someone and actually said "Mercia are in, er, Mercia" Comes from reading too much AS history. And I don't think Northumbria ever had much sway over the lake district, But like someone said above, it depends when, precisely you are talking about. London was a Mercian town right into Alfred's reign, albeit Mercia was generally under Wessex control in later times. And most of Berkshire was a Mercian possession for many years in the mid Saxon period.

Edward the Elder did a lot to sort things out, but it was Athelstan who finally made England England.

26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Elmet by moonlight.

Kaka Tim and mx wcfc like this.
  27. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Greater Yorkshire.

LynnDoyleCooper and Shirl like this.
  28. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Surely Yorkshire should have its own forum, so they can witter on about gods-own-biggest-baps-teabags-baht'at, out of sight and out of mind.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  29. farmerbarleymow

We should emulate Trump and fortify the border while we're at it, to keep them safely contained.

moose likes this.