1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle-aged man, I want update image/clothing, where do I start?.

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Doubledown, May 11, 2017.

1. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Bought at a car boot a couple of weeks ago a really beautiful set of olive green canvas overalls - properly old, like maybe WW2 (heavy duty metal zips with leather pulls and loads of inside pockets for tools and stuff). There were several stitched repairs and patches on them, not expert repairs, none too neat, but that's what made them special.

Edie likes this.
  2. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

Something more out there: Image search for men in skirts... Entertaining, and some do pull it off quite nicely.
    (ok, he's hardly middle aged :D but I'm off on a tangent now)
    [​IMG]

Awesome!
    [​IMG]

People need to wear more hats, I like hats!

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    bimble, killer b and weltweit like this.
  3. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

photos please

bimble and Edie like this.
  4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

5. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I've compiled a list of these sites gents and I'm gonna show the man tomorrow. Genuine thanks a lot. Really great stuff.

bimble and Winot like this.
  6. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I bloody gave them to my friend, which am regretting now. Will demand photos post haste.
    It's so nice to talk about clothes instead of politics isn't it.

7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I really like this.

8. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Ooh, could you post that compilation?

bimble likes this.
  9. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

10. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Have a google of the Sapeurs of the Congo. Truly inspiring mens fashion, dandyism without any fop.
    sap.jpg

weltweit, girasol and Edie like this.
  11. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

The fabrics are fabulous, and the tailoring is admirably adventurous, but some of the things they make look a bit odd on, so proceed with caution.

12. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Ooooooh. That's my next spare cash fucked :D

bimble likes this.
  13. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

that Mr freedom is lovely stuff. Eyewateringly expensive but beautiful, even the slightly roughed up buttonholes have been thought about with care.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 18.29.25.png

14. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Something that has occurred to me reading this, is that it's far easier to look stylish at a lower price, if your style is slightly quirky. If you want to blend in, you have to tread a much narrower path between stylish and not quite, where the subtleties of expensive cut or fabric can make all the difference.

weltweit likes this.
  15. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

bimble likes this.
  16. Winot

What puts me off is no bricks and mortar place to try on - what returns like?

That's what Mr. Porter has cracked - free and easy returns.

17. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

girasol Brilliant -"cangaciero" led me to this ,which is excellent but might be a bit tricky to pull off as an everyday look if you're not in fact a bandit in 1920s Brazil.

Corisco___.jpg

Malandro the idea is really interesting - we seem to have lost that whole thing of the charming stylish bad boy trickster who dresses sharp but lives rough. Unless you count expensive trainers and diamond earrings, which I just don't tbh.
    It's definitely alive in Jamaica still, men who have nothing and live on their wits but their belt matches their shoes perfectly and their eyebrows are shaved just so.
    For some reason the culture around here has evolved so that men taking a lot of interest in how they look and dress is frowned upon. Hence the Thread website's tagline 'dress well without trying', as if trying was effeminate.

girasol likes this.
  18. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Brooke has chosen three shirts with Mao collars for me :hmm:

I am think that is far to...fashionable for me. I am guess they need to be buttoned up? I never do the top button on a normal collar unless I am wearing a tie which I never do.

19. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I've only ever tried it on in shops - and been mildly relieved when I found it didn't look right... trying on the expensive shit is always a risk- what do you do if it's perfect?

20. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Do you have a shopping centre/mall/department store thing near you Edie? Much as I hate actual shopping in shops, going when noone else is there is great. I was wearing some dreadful shite when I met Mrs FA but she took me to Selfridge's on like a Tuesday morning or something. Basically meant I could roam the menswear floor, picking stuff up then trying it on with Mrs FA giving the Roman emperor thumbs up/down. Just trying on quality jeans for example, was a revelation. It's mad how much better you feel in jeans that hang well, give a bit where they should, sit right on your shoes, make your package look good etc.

21. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I plan to take the man asap. He's still pretty self conscious from being very over weight for a decade so shys away but with a bit of weight loss and me boosting him up we'll get over the hurdle :cool:

Edit: live in Leeds so not short of possibilities

Sweet FA and weltweit like this.
  22. Winot

Actually kabbes if you don't like going shopping or can't be bothered then it might be worth experimenting with Mr Porter. You can order as much as you want I think and it's a flat delivery of £8. The clever bit is that they will send out a courier to pick up any returns for free (it sounds like the Kabbess might be doing this already for her).

So if you are looking for a blue shirt (say), you can order 4-5 different types in a variety of sizes, try them on and send back any you don't like or that don't fit. And if you don't like anything then all it's cost you is £8.

They've got a lot of ridiculously expensive stuff but there is stuff that's affordable and they have deep sales (like 50-75% off the ridiculous prices).

(edited to fix link)

kabbes likes this.
  23. Sea Lion

Sea Lion If you can't dance just nod your head

Some nice gear on that Mr Porter site. I don't mind forking out a bit extra for quality because it tends last a whole lot longer.

24. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

This is true but quality menswear seems far more expensive than womanswear. I mean over £200 for a pair of duds is crazy.

25. Sea Lion

I don't feel comfortable wearing trainers anymore. So i invested in a few pair of these. 20170519_223826.jpg 20170519_223834.jpg
    They are very comfortable and light.

26. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

If you are not an average size, online wins hands down over real shops. No embarrassment for daring to exist, and if they make your size it's likely in stock. You just have to commit to sending stuff back. :oops:

27. Sea Lion

This is true. I have a soon to be 18 year old lad with fancy a taste for clothes. He wants Moncler stuff that starts off at £400 for a light jacket.

28. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Good luck to him. That's a lot of pot washing or deliveroo!

mx wcfc and Sea Lion like this.
  29. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

A few pairs? of those? All of them with those toggle things on? What it is it with this. Are you 83 years old and unable to do up shoelaces?

30. Doubledown

Doubledown Well-Known Member

This is me reading some of the fashion advice and suggested websites.
    [​IMG]

Only joking :) actually there are so many people I want to thank for the great advice I ended up feeling overwhelmed.I found this thread a real boost and feel I have more the grip about what I'm doing Mostly been windowshopping not bought anything. Tried some trousers from online but had to send them back because they didn't fit that my own fault, I think is a great system though.

weltweit, Winot, Edie and 1 other person like this.