Microsoft Surface laptop and Surface Pro chat

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Kanda, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm very interested in what's happening with their oft-copied Surface..

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OOOh!

" Surprisingly Microsoft wasn't done with just a Surface Pro 4 as Panos Pinay introduced Microsoft's completely brand new Surface Book.

It's the first laptop created by Microsoft and it doubles as the thinnest Windows tablet ever made, measuring only 7.7mm thick. It has a 13.5-inch PixelSense screen with 6 million pixels resulting in a 267 PPI that's been made as thin as possible with an optical bonded display.

According to Microsoft, the keyboard has a 'best-in-class' keystroke with back-lit keys built on custom switches. The glass trackpad, meanwhile features five points of touch that triggers different actions in Windows 10 - a bit like Apple's MacBook gestures.

On the performance front, Microsoft claims the Surface Book is twice as fast as the 13-inch MacBook Pro and Pinay demonstrated this by playing Gears of War on stage. This is largely thanks to the notebook being powered by sixth generation Intel Core i processors and an unspecified Nvidia GeForce GPU utilizing DDR5 memory.

Despite all the focus on performance, Microsoft promises Surface Book users will get 12 hours of battery life out of it.

The Microsoft Surface Book starts at $1,499 with pre-orders beginning on October 7 and will be available in stores on October 26."

4. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

It was all very interesting to be honest. Some great products (based on the event video, not user experience) am massively looking forward to more info.. I was initially in for a Surface Pro 4 but the Surface Book is compelling too... Band 2 looks good, HoloLens interesting...

I was surprised there was no thread here, I'm in the ass end of nowhere.... this was the most impressive event since the first ipad/iphone introductions...

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And a SD card slot too. :thumbs:

8. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

That looks great.

sleaterkinney likes this.
  9. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

That surface book looks amazing.

10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

I liked everything shown.....except Hololens. The 'game' looked like Face Raiders on the Nintendo 3DS, minus the fun.

Surface range very impressive tho.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Damn this looks bloody good:

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Video hands on here for the Pro 4.

Microsoft's newest Surface Pro is the hardware showcase Windows 10 needs

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a video for the new Band:

Still studded in sensors, Microsoft's new Band finally has a design you won't hate

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I want please!

15. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Being able to plug a screen, keyboard and mouse into the new phones and run W10 was quite cool.

16. c01642

c01642 Well-Known Member

$1899 for the surface book with a dGPU, the base model has intel HD graphics.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seems about right for what you're getting.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. mwgdrwg

Way out of my price range, when you add the cost of the cover/keyboard.

A shame, cos I'd like a Surface.

20. Crispy

I'm watching a bit of this presentation and they appear to have leapfrogged Apple in smug hyperbole

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  21. mwgdrwg

"I'm so pumped!"

22. mwgdrwg

Also...the guy in the hat was total cringe.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nothing can be worse than Steve Balmer in full sweaty, dad dancing hyperbolic overdrive, surely? That set the bar very high.

24. Crispy

Steve Balmer was just weird and creepy. This new slickness out-Apples Apple. "Just look at it." breathless pause. "Isn't it amazing?" more baited breath "It's the thinnest most powerful laptop, EVER. On ANY PLANET." more pause to let the gargantuinity of it sink in.

It is a very nice laptop. But steady on.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  25. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Being in contact with all other forms of intelligent life to ask about their laptop thicknesses is a pretty significant thing.

Kid_Eternity and ViolentPanda like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think anything will ever top me being at an Apple launch and hearing a roomful of grown adults hollering and whooping like hyperactive children because they'd marginally increased the memory of a product. Weird, creepy and a bit religion like.

27. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Badly want that book laptop.

28. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Thread about technology released... do we have to bore each other with how it was presented??? Never ending bullshit.... (again)

mwgdrwg and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. mwgdrwg

Hooray.