Mental.Ultras attack Sporting Lisbon players and manager

Discussion in 'football' started by The39thStep, May 17, 2018.

1. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Anywhere between 30-50 ultras marched into the Sporting training ground and physically attacked the players. Das Bost their leading goalscorer required 5-8 stitches for head wounds . They've got the Portuguese Cup Final Sunday but its inevitable now that players are likely to leave the club after this . The President of Sporting is a loudmouth crackpot , he's publicly named and shamed players calling for them to be dropped and he's now threatening to sue the President of the Portuguese Parliament for slander.Sporting lost there last game and lost their Champions League spot , they'll be in Europa next season.
    Chronicle of a sad day for Sporting Clube de Portugal

2. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

A bad day for Portuguese football. As a Porto supporter I understand that there's lots of politics and dodgy dealing in the game, there's never an excuse for attacking your own players though.

3. The39thStep

Porto have been immense this season.

dessiato likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

More here: Sporting Lisbon: Players agree to play Portuguese Cup final after attack

dessiato likes this.
  5. dessiato

When I lived in Porto the feelings were that Porto hated Benfica who hated Porto. Everyone thought that Sporting was liked a little because they were OK, not massively exciting, but never dull. This changes a lot. Most will be horrified by this behaviour, most will support the players, most will want strong actions to be taken against the perpetrators. Let's hope that is what happens.

6. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Fuck me. And we thought Arsenal fans were bad.

Their president is a lunatic.

7. The39thStep

Sporting's share price has dropped by 17%. Apparantly some 20 odd ultras have now been arrested . Funny thing is is that although Sporting finished third they won the League Cup, made the semis of the Europa League and are in the Cup Final Sunday, which isnt that bad a season really.

Pickman's model, bromley and dessiato like this.
  8. dessiato

Their season has, arguably, been as good as Porto. Maybe we Portista should give the players a bit of a kicking. You know, para encorajar os outros

Pickman's model and The39thStep like this.
  9. The39thStep

The League is the League though , thats the most important thing to win and breaking Benficas four year stranglehold on it was a real achievement. Don't know about kicking Chelsea but I've a grim sense of another underwhelming display against a team that we really should be beating into tomorrows FA Cup.

10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Just did a quick search to see if Portuguese football has any match fixing stories and at a very quick glance and this story came up including top teams Rio Ave and Benefica
    Reports: Rio Ave players charged in match-fixing scam
    its as if football players arent paid enough

11. The39thStep

Wolves are just about to sign Pele from Rio Ave so hope hes not one of those accused. Rio Ave were subject to an investigation about betting patterns against Benfica last year but I dont think anything came of it?

ska invita likes this.
  12. dessiato

There's been rumours of corruption ever since I moved to Porto 12 years ago.

ska invita likes this.
  13. The39thStep

Things you couldnt make up. Sporting got beat in the Portugal final by Aves, a team who have spent only three years in the Portuguese top flight since 1930.Bit like Bournemouth beating Spurs or Liverpool in a final this season

Pickman's model and dessiato like this.
  14. dessiato

I didn't see the match so cannot comment on the on pitch performance, but I wonder how much the Sporting players were psychologically affected by the attacks. I wonder if they just couldn't get their heads in place for the match. I can't help but feel that I'd be going through the motions rather than giving it my all.

15. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Spanish football club presidents can be a bit temperamental. Jesus Gil, former Athletico Madrid president, put a live baby crocodile on the table at a board meeting. He said the team needed more bite.

16. The39thStep

I think they are going to lose a few players in the close season.

dessiato likes this.
  17. dessiato

If this how some supporters behave, who can blame them? The financial cost to the club is going to be high, let alone the cost in player confidence on pitch, and consequently club success.

18. The39thStep

Couldn't make it up part 2. Aves the Cup winners didn't register the documents required with the Portuguese Federation in time so they're not able to play in the Europa League.

19. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Das Bost? What a fucking excellent name for a striker.

20. dessiato

That's dreadful! What a disaster for them. So much prestige and money lost.

The39thStep likes this.
  21. The39thStep

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

how curious they started then

Sunset Tree, Teaboy and dessiato like this.
  23. The39thStep

An update:Rui Patricio the SP and Portuguese national team keeper thought his agent had secured a transfer away from Sporting to Wolves however the SP president refused the Wolves offer. Patricio then ended up writing what was said to be a 34 page letter to the President detailing, in his view , some of the events at the club. I've had to google translate some extracts so the English is a bit dodgy:

Patricio is pretty much suggesting in his letter that the President wound up elements in Juve Leo to intimidate and attack the players as a show of force for the President. At the moment 20 ( out of approx 40 attackers) of them have been arrested and face legal proceedings

Patricio ( and another squad member managed by the same agent ) has now said he has terminated his contract and is training with the national team. Jorge Jesus the coach has now left for a job in the Middle East, the club approached Phil Scolari but he turned them down, there has been an approach to Marcelo Bielsa. Expect further developments.

24. The39thStep

Another 3 key players (midfielder William Carvalho, winger Gelson Martins and midfielder Bruno Fernandes) have indicated that they want out and will walk .

25. dessiato

Can't say I blame them. Could be the ruination of the club.

But thinking of the Boa Vista scandal a few years back, perhaps Sporting will be able to ride it out longer term.

26. The39thStep

Expect there will be lots of legal issues re contracts etc, attempts to oust the President and meanwhile if I can get a bet on Braga to finish third next season I will.

dessiato likes this.
  27. dessiato

That's were I'd put my money. Dragoes, and those others for top two, third there's really only Braga now. It would be good to see one of the mid table teams up there though.

28. The39thStep

Well the President has gone, Carvalho was voted out and left decribing the ballot as "one of the greatest frauds ever seen" after 71% voted for him to leave. Before his departure Sporting appointed Siniša Mihajlović who has managed a fair few clubs including Inter, Sampadoria, Torino and Serbia. Also a fierce Serbian nationalist supporter of Arkan, Patrick Vierra accused him of racosm when he was a players, an out and out sexist and generally a man with a short fuse.The board now wish to terminate Mihajlovics contract sighting a 15 day buy and try clause in some regulation that theyve dug up.
    Meanwhile there about 120m worth of players who say they have rescinded their contracts, only one Patricio has gone to another club , Wolves. The others are seeminglu up for grabs and any decent display in the World Cup could hasten their departure.