Mental Health Resistance Network - Protesting Cuts and Coercion

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by MadeInBedlam, Nov 11, 2018.

1. existentialist

existentialist FiVe ᵈAʸs tᵒ FʳᵉeᵈOᵐ

Loads here I'd support and agree with. Good luck!

2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Can't make it (too far away)
    But GOOD LUCK
    you have loads to support there

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  3. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

**double post.

4. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

Why do you demand;

A public inquiry into the harm caused by psychiatric drugs and ECT.

It is widely accepted ECT and drugs may not be ideal but they get the job done. Haven't you seen that scary film with the crazy person tied to a post - horror!
    It is understood and scientifically accepted that treatments reduce brain volume and damage it in the process. Job done. Years of follow up care is required when actually prescribing creates dependency.

An end to control and restraint in secure settings! This made me laugh. All those jobs, Occupational therapy sports people social workers nurses psychologists their assistants the doctors and psychiatrists the advocates it's like one big happy family. A banner and some noise outside offices insist ''more funding"! That's revolting, no, that's truly hilarious.

5. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Ok. Well you don’t have to support us

friendofdorothy likes this.
  6. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to follow the last point there sleeper.

I like the statement MIB. I know someone who works in a Crisis house and do agree to an extent. They certainly need to make sure that certain training criteria's are in place prior to people starting. ASSIST etc.

I was pretty surprised that some of them employ people with no experience even in support work. I've been a support worker for quite a while with broad experience and I'd only just feel confident enough to apply for a job within that framework.

One of the big issues with saying only qualified people with formal qualifications can apply is that they also need to make it easier for people to gain access to those qualifications. I went through a stage of considering social work and there were to many barriers in place to enable me to do it despite having more than enough practical experience.

I hope the days a success I've been following MHRN a lot and I'm glad they opened my eyes to MIND.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  7. yield

yield zero

Should be able to make this.

8. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

What can I clarify for you?

At the end of the day your organizations demand the mentally ill are pushed to the fringes of society. You can bounce around talking about things that create further employment opportunities to 'help' the mad. Give the a can of coke and a cigarette you can give them whatever drugs you want and even one day ect, why not? Hoo ha between all of this make dozens of jobs and improve security man/state relation.

Maybe it is that coke can? But, no, hundreds of hours spent by weirdos going by the tag of psychologist to root out child problems where the stars in the sky were and what month you were born in.

9. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I meant about the banner about funding. I think I follow now though.

10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Too far away for this. Well done MIB though.

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  11. MadeInBedlam

The credit is owed far more to my comrades than to me. Warriors all of them.

Anyone know any london Urbs who might be interested in this protest?

12. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

13. MadeInBedlam

I’m doing a proper mailshot tomorrow morning (haven’t been given the finalised list yet), which I guess is a better way of spreading the word than random tagging :)

14. MadeInBedlam

We are against the ‘work cure’.

15. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I don't think I can make the march on that day though, I'm sorry, but I wish you well and hope you have a good attendance.
    I like your demands.
    This.

I was at a protest against relocating some mental health therapy services, all CBT I think, to a Job Centre in Streatham a while back. I can't imagine a less theraputic environment.

I never followed up what happened afterwards - CH1 did this move actually go ahead? are they actually refering people to therapy there now?

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Thanks for the invite but not going to be able to join you.

Is there a fighting fund or similar? would be happy to bung a few quid in.

17. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Maybe editor could help you out with a short piece in the buzz? If neither of you have time to write it, I could... if it would help?

dialectician and MadeInBedlam like this.
  18. MadeInBedlam

Much appreciation to both of you. I’ll check with my comrades in the morning and get back to you.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  19. MadeInBedlam

Just had a chat with one of the members. Apparently we have a PayPal account but only one person in the group knows how PayPal works. Which is kind of a good metaphor for MH service user activism to be fair

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My understanding is that Lambeth Community Mental Health Team moved into offices rented from and adjacent to the Streatham Jobcentre.

I don't know if CBT operates from those offices (I know they do it at 340 Brixton Road). In any event the system is too inefficient for there to be a direct connection with DWP (in the sense of DWP sending non-compliant claimants for CBT for example).

My experience of both DWP and psychiatric services is they minimise any potential problems. No doubt issues will become crucial when Universal Credit hits Lambeth.

21. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

'Arm the mentally ill' - this sounds like a dodgy attempt by some pharma company to boost sales of brain damaging products.

#we demand# might have genuine interests in helping the patient but with the current framework it's impossible. Which other area of law puts one above another and destroys it.

22. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

MIB
    Check govt medical sites. Human ticker (HRV) is corrupted by stomach problems this can in some cases be resolved by diet changes/probiotics. It seems the MHA insist to refuse to acknowledge these findings due to prestigious creations such as royal college of psychiatrist etc. Excruitating mental anguish suffered on a daily basis is an important cause of the latest survelliance equipment and technology.

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

24. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

sleeper I don't know what your point is or why you are quoting me.

25. MadeInBedlam

I think sleeper is asserting that it’s contradictory to argue both for more MH funding and end to psychiatric abuse at the same time.

It’s an understandable position, but it’s not one supported by evidence

26. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

That's fair.

However, it's a shame my psychiatrist somewhat scoffed at claims MHA should consider role of the stomach. Guidelines suggest issues of flatulence and bowel movement frequency might be considered but even then psychosis is separate despite whatever cause.

It is becoming well known within psychiatry that stomach and heart mechanisms engineer conditions for mental disorders but the refusal to incorporate new treatments is tragic.
    There is somewhat desperate research going in to pinpoint cause through specific brain programmings IE, receptors of NDMA/autoimmune response thereby bypassing common knowledge and upholding glory of psychiatry.

27. yield

yield zero

Thought you might find this interesting sleeper

Your gut is directly connected to your brain, by a newly discovered neuron circuit
    Sep. 20, 2018

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  28. sleeper

sleeper Unspecified

Evidence shows clearly - patients take their medication - job done. Often it is relieving never mind the intolerable side effects. This has been the case for some 70 years.
    So more funding. HM. I see, those people upstairs working round the clock need better sight and more advanced tools.

29. MadeInBedlam

What?

30. existentialist

existentialist FiVe ᵈAʸs tᵒ FʳᵉeᵈOᵐ

Er...?

I'm not entirely alongside MadeInBedlam's position, but this is complete and utter bollocks.

You're just suggesting that "shut up and take the damn pill" is an adequate response? I've had a lot of contact with the mental health system, both personally and professionally, and I don't think that even most of the people working IN that system would see it the way you do. So you're either trolling, or totally ignorant.

Thimble Queen and fishfinger like this.