Help Medium Format Film Scanning in London?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by madshadow, Oct 24, 2018.

1. madshadow

madshadow Well-Known Member

I need to scan few medium format negatives, ideally hi-res, around 4000dpi, for enlagements to A0 size, can anyone recommed a decent scanning service in London that doesnt cost a fortune? Metro and similar labs charge around £70 a scan for that size.

Thanks!

2. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Photofusion have a Imacon 949 in a scanning which you can hire in 20 min slots to do them yourself.....

https://www.photofusion.org/film-scanner-hire/

FridgeMagnet and Nivag like this.
  3. andrewdroid

andrewdroid Born before the internet

for that kind of money you could buy an A3 scanner (or A4 what size is MF?) and do it yourself use Vuescan (paid for or tpb probably has it) as its far superior to any software that comes with scanners and you can crank up the dpi much more.

4. sim667

MF is from 6x4.5 inches, 6x6 inch or 6x7 inch (its 120 roll film).

For enlargements to A0 size, I would not be scanning on a contact flatbed scanner like you're suggesting, far too much scope for dust and scratched negatives, not to mention poor quality scans by hardware and software not decided for enlargement scanning, which is what OP wants to do.

5. andrewdroid

andrewdroid Born before the internet

ah interesting thanks for that info Ive only ever scanned prints and drawings and odd 35mm negs but for future if you need Vuescan is very good overides the scanners software and lets you dictate all parameters

6. sim667

Yeah agreed, vuescan is a very good bit of software. Flatbed scanners are OK for scanning negs for home use..... but for creating a 4000 dpi scan of a medium format neg/slide to print to A0, I don't think they'd be up to scratch. The OP is very much asking for a professional level scan, and the link I've suggested is a newer version of a scanner I used to use quite a lot, its a virtual drum scanner, which means the negative image itself never actually comes into contact with any of the hardware, and I used to scan at 2000 dpi, in order to create A2/1 prints, those files were about 130 mb each, so looking at what the OP wants to do, they're looking to produce something thats probably just over a 200 mb scan.

andrewdroid likes this.