1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Mar 5, 2018.

1. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

Although it is true that meat eaters are literally killing us because of their twisted macho selfishness, a joint press release of a campaign from both the WWF and WWE would have greater impact
    MadeInBedlam likes this.
  2. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

Nah, that’s very mild.

Should see the other thread, where they are comparing themselves with Nostradamus, Jesus, Einstein and Long Dong Silver. ;)
  3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Angry brown femme ^_^

I thought LDS had retired :hmm: :thumbs:
  4. 8ball

So has Jesus.
    Saul Goodman likes this.
  5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Due a comeback though.
    sealion and MadeInBedlam like this.
  6. 8ball

Tour dates subject to change.
    sealion and MadeInBedlam like this.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

we'd reached peak bullshit when someone started going on that vegans have harder erections than mortal men
    sealion likes this.
  8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

grow the fuck up man
    Mab, Pickman's model and IC3D like this.
  9. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

ah more hypocrisy hunting! because people who work in the meat industry have great working conditions don't they! :facepalm: and even the most rabid meat eaters have the odd bit of veg too

less cruelty, as cruelty free as they can possibly know about, it's clearly not possible to be sure that you whole diet is cruelty free
    Mab and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  10. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Meat is known to block arteries in your cock inhibiting your hard on. I've been informed vegan spunk tastes better too, thus you are likely to get more blowjobs. Its basic science.
    sealion likes this.
  11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

12. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Angry brown femme ^_^

Oh it's bollocks. Just saying vegan and be done with it. "Cruelty free" is nonsense.
    dialectician and NoXion like this.
  13. nyxx

nyxx Member

I agree claiming to be absolutely cruelty free is bound to be false.
    There’s a big division within veganism of late, one version is all about the health benefits to the consumer of the diet, which is often called “plant based” or ‘botanical” and one version is all about the ethical concerns about animal welfare, tend to emphasise the cruelty factor.
    I find aspects of the former to be ridiculous & it’s also quite often tied to a ultra-privileged white middle class yoga practising clean eating host of stereotypes it’s really easy to poke fun at.

I think some understanding /education on the health benefits of not eating meat would be good though, for humans and for other animals. At the end of the day it’s about the non-human animals though.
    Mab and ddraig like this.
  14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

too late for that :(
  15. nyxx

nyxx Member

Oh, and the only real way to go cruelty free is to remove oneself from civilisation, either by going all off piste and at-one-with-nature, in perfect harmony within some ecosystem, or by taking oneself out of the picture forever. Human civilisation displaces pretty much everything else.
  16. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

This is true, but we are also the only species that can decide how much of an impact we have. Whilst achieving a cruelty free existence may be impractical, given a specific choice, and knowing the ramifications of that choice, we can opt for the one that minimises the cruelty, or we can decide otherwise. It's up to us.
  17. 8ball

The health issues with eating meat come from a combination of the amounts involved, over-processing, and how the animals are raised and fed.
    Vegans will accomplish as much in ameliorating these health issues as prohibitionists accomplished in vanquishing alcoholism.

edit: this "attach your argument to grand narratives for effect" game is quite fun :)
    dialectician likes this.
  18. 8ball

Being fair, I think some of the people using the term "plant-based" have some degree of an animal welfare angle to their choices.
    I reckon the meaning of the term hasn't quite bedded in yet, though. I do get what you mean about the association with Gwyneth Paltrow types and their boutique businesses.

I can't talk - I bought some quinoa yesterday. :oops:
  19. nyxx

nyxx Member

Indeed. I’m all for those initiatives to get people to reduce their meat consumption, I think there was one called “meat free Mondays”. As with other things affecting the environment, it’s the extreme over-consumption of populations in certain western nations which really ramp the problem up.
    8ball likes this.
  20. eggsandbacon

eggsandbacon Banned Banned

Try getting the Chinese to stop eating pigs
  21. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

They've been ramping up production pretty fast. I saw an article the other day where China had sent several AG officials to Sweden to check out how their automated systems work, with the idea of transposing them to China. They've also been buying up hog production in the US. They currently consume about 50% of the world's pork.

Are we becoming China's factory farm?

How China purchased a prime cut of America’s pork industry

People all over the world associate wealth with eating meat. Overcoming that idea is probably the greatest challenge to reducing meat consumption.

I should mention that US consumption is dropping a bit--probably due to a combination of economics and health concerns.

Americans eating nearly 20 percent less beef than they used to
    8ball and Mab like this.
  22. eggsandbacon

The only thing with legs that they won't eat is the table
  23. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

What's malteesers got to do with this?:hmm:
    sealion likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who's "they"?
    PippinTook likes this.
  25. eggsandbacon

the chinese
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're a racist cunt. Bye.
  27. eggsandbacon

You should have said 'Who are they?'
  28. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Mab likes this.
  29. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

I tried to stay away, I tell you true, but you know what?
    It isn't the eating of the meat, it's the maximizing of the profit.
    Some meat production methods are destroying the planet; but this is not news, it's no more news than planting soybeans on ex-rainforest or destroying soil structure in the UK.
    seventh bullet likes this.
  30. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

it's wrong that you have L and T in a bacon sandwich; scum!!!