Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Mar 5, 2018.

1. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

The WWF report is a bit more hopeful than that (and bugger all to do with the OP, as I've come to expect).
    It's a bit confused about protein (I think text from more than one writer may have led to that), and neither Hulk Hogan nor the Ultimate Warrior are credited, but those are minor quibbles.

2. MrSpikey

MrSpikey Well-Known Member

On behalf of all the baby eating anarchists here - you're welcome.

8ball, cupid_stunt and MadeInBedlam like this.
  3. MrSpikey

MrSpikey Well-Known Member

Make sure you lob the brick hard, though - there will be no real change until you smash the cistern.

Almor, Saul Goodman, Celyn and 6 others like this.
  4. :D :thumbs:

cupid_stunt likes this.
  5. dialectician

dialectician Well-Known Member

burn all vegan cafes and restaurants.

the smuggest cunts who don't want to restructure wasteful food production so long as their middle class co-op can turn a profit.

Why is this in the politics forum anyway?

campanula and NoXion like this.
  6. dialectician

Sheeps head and feet soup is a traditional middle eastern and asian breakfast.

why turkish capitalists haven't tried to make a profit from it (ceaselessly revolutionise production goddamn it) in london i will never no, am totally craving it now.

Brain is also quite nice.

edit: oops quoted the wrong post but too tired to amend.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    MadeInBedlam likes this.
  7. dialectician

Bacon is just vile. liver on the other hand...

8. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

alt right types use it to mock lefties in the same way as they use snowflake, as lefties used it to describe non ptsd reactions. it's a word whose meaning is becoming diluted from the PTSD reaction to something more like 'that caused a negative emotional reaction in me' which imo is not a good thing as i feel it is already undermining the seriousness of ptsd triggering.

Anyway, on topic, i continue to fail to enforce vegetarianism in my diet, rarely cook with meat but still have meat in my lunch sandwiches and often when i eat out. Stopped using dairy milk on cereal, found that oat milk worked fine. You can take my cheddar cheese from the earth's cold dead hands though.

(Edited cos i misread the post i quoted)

8ball and PippinTook like this.
  9. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

We're not all doomed... the more well-off, in wealthier countries will be ok. The global poor are fucked, as per usual.

I believe that humanity will eventually get a grip on the situation, we'll be forced to adopt more sustainable farming methods, invent ever more sophisticated scientific means of maximising crop yields, build vast subterranean, solar powered hydroponics farms, that sort of jazz. And eventually, when the technology makes it out of the lab, we'll be growing meat from cell cultures on an industrial scale, eliminating the need for farming animals for food (apart from for the super rich who'll demand the "authentic" variety). It will happen, the real question is how many of the disadvantaged starve & die in the meantime....

PippinTook likes this.
  10. The people who really fuck me off are the ones that claim their diets are 'cruelty free'. That really doesn' take into account the working conditions and abuse of poor agriculture workers.

sealion, Celyn, xenon and 6 others like this.
  11. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

They're probably right Thimble Queen if they buy from a food coop, which isn't that unusual for some.

12. dialectician

how? the food doesn't just magically appear in the co-op.

13. cheesethief

I imagine that the only way to ensure all your food is genuinely "cruelty free" is if you grow/produce it all yourself.

14. How do food coops ensure no one has been exploited along the way? I think that' almost impossible unless you grow all your own quinoa. It's so smug, self righteous and shaming as well.

sealion and 8ball like this.
  15. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I mean, thats a very specific fetish.

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I don't really like a lot of pulses etc...... they're just, nothingy.

18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

You've clearly never had dhal then

Mab and Thimble Queen like this.
  19. Fairtrade isn't without it's criticism though is it? Like pricing out the poorest farmers. This issue is a lot more complicated than saying I don't eat meat job done.

sealion likes this.
  20. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

[QUOTE="Thimble Queen, post: 15468935, member: 1177"It's so smug, self righteous and shaming as well.[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't make them wrong though. I'm sure some people thought Suffergettes were uppity twats.

21. cheesethief

That's a shame... I could live off kidney beans! And as a summer/BBQ staple, a nice bean salad can't be beaten.

Thimble Queen and sim667 like this.
  22. I know your taking the piss now comparing vegans and suffragettes :D

sealion and IC3D like this.
  23. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Obviously but wiping out poor farmers to grow tonnes of animal feed is probably a bigger problem

Mab likes this.
  24. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I am about 90% vegetarian these days. I go weeks without eating meat sometimes. A lot of it has been inspired by realising how damaging the meat industry is to the planet.

The change in diet has been mostly positive. I don’t miss meat too much but I do find the range of meat substitutes like Quorn etc to be really lacking in most shops. I have to go to the really big Sainsbury’s and stock up if I want a good supply of alternatives. Most days in the nearest Tesco or Sainsbury’s local I’d be lucky if I can find anything suitable.

I think more smaller shops should be encouraging meat eaters to try alternatives by stocking a bigger range. It should be considered as much as an environmental initiative as the whole plastic furore.

26. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Quorn is mold. Mycoprotein isn't for everyone....
    And it can be the cause of gastro problems and anaphylaxis.
    I had it once in a spag bol and was very unwell for about 3 days afterwards.

27. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Hitler was a veggie

28. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Idid Amin loved KFC tho

stavros, sealion, Mab and 1 other person like this.
  29. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I love Quorn, but the stuff is far too expensive.

PippinTook likes this.
  30. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

Pol Pot was named after his favourite meal of Polish Hot Pot.

sealion, Mab and MadeInBedlam like this.