Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Mar 5, 2018.

1. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I can buy a chicken for 3 or 4 quid. It will make maybe 6 meals.
    And its delicious.
    I'm not going to stop buying it. But I would support rules that stop chicken being produced that cheaply.

I don't think the public will make the change when there are other options available. It should be something that is legislated for, and the choice forced.

2. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

So a usage designed to mock people's reactions by comparing them to the reactions of people suffering from PTSD?
    What lovely people. I wouldn't have assumed them to be the most natural bedfellows with vegans, but then most of the vegans I know are Buddhists.

BigTom and sim667 like this.
  3. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I'd eat less meat. My housmates are fussy eaters and demand it and i'm fucked if i'll give up my share.

4. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

All we need to do is cycle to work and lob a brick in the cistern.

cupid_stunt, MadeInBedlam and 8ball like this.
  5. 8ball

I put on way too much weight by overdoing carbs. I had most success losing weight when on a medium carb, medium fat, high protein setup (the protein not necessarily needing to involve meat or dairy, but if you're doing martial arts you may want a top-up from a refined protein source - I use a vegan protein powder blend in the odd shake). (Before anyone points it out, I know it's not just about the macros.)

Plus lifting weights - that was important.

sim667 likes this.
  6. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

animal fat good source of energy.

stick some curry powder in as well - has all the good stuff (chilli, garlic, ginger, turmeric, pepper) to boost your metabolism and immune system

PippinTook and sim667 like this.
  7. 8ball

Coconut oil might work as well.

Mab and MadeInBedlam like this.
  8. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

true, but i probably should stop using the same jar for my coffee as for my post-shower all body moisturising :(

cupid_stunt and 8ball like this.
  9. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Yeah Protein is what I've been sustaining myself on..... lots of eggs really.

I haven't really got my head round protein shakes and that kind of thing..... my freinds are very into huel, but I don't get it at all.

I seem to sustain myself by veg and fruit box delivery once a week, game box delivery every two weeks, salad from morrisons (with an added egg and avocado) a cuppa soup and melon for work lunches, and then a treat breakfast at the weekends.....

I was on a low carb, 1400 calorie a day diet for about a year..... fuck was I tired and grumpy constantly at the end of that.

My new girlfreind though is a terrible carb monster and getting me back into bad habits, so I'm trying to find a happy medium now.

10. 8ball

I just use the odd protein shake at strategic times if I'm low on my protein needs for the day. Huel isn't a protein shake as much as a vegan meal substitute with relatively high protein and very low sugars, plus every essential and some non-essential nutrients in generous amounts. I use it from time to time. Quite handy if you're time-pressed and need to fuel up on the hop without grabbing something really unhealthy.

I think certain camps are prone to demonising different macros depending on their entrenched positions.

sim667 likes this.
  11. sim667

So not a meal replacement as such then..... Ill give it a miss. Thanks for the explanation.

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Make/eat dhal - get some pulses in your diet

Mab, danski, Thimble Queen and 3 others like this.
  13. 8ball

Oh, if you meant Huel, I meant it was a meal replacement so was maybe not explaining clearly.
    As for actual protein shakes, they're more just top-ups for me. I try to stay on "real food" as much as possible.

14. sim667

Ah ok....

I do love eating, so real food is all good by me.

PippinTook likes this.
  15. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You'd be wrong to think that, although it may help a little bit.

17. 8ball

Michael Pollan's "7 rules for eating" is a great boiling-down of dietary advice imo (the short-form version of which boils down to 7 words).

AnnaKarpik likes this.
  18. 8ball

Should help twice as much if the Southern Hemisphere imports fruit from the North. :)

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  19. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

There's a bit more to the vegetable kingdom than that - what about pulses, beans, etc? Kidney beans, chickpeas, etc - low fat, high protein, high fibre. They've got carbs, but "digestible carbs", as boffins call them - much better for you than the sort of carbs you get in bread & cakes.

The body needs carbohydrates, most of the bad press comes from carbs in refined & processed foods, and of course a basic imbalance - too many carb rich foods. I love a bit of buttered toast, but only occasionally as a treat, all things in moderation, etc.

ddraig and 8ball like this.
  20. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Sarcasm detector on the blink?

21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I'm a guilty meat eater, but crikey we're going to hell in a hand basket

IC3D and ddraig like this.
  22. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Just about everyone living in a developed part of the world is going to be in the same queue.
    I don't think I'll be losing too much sleep.

23. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Not really. I've said before, if most of the population of Africa disappeared, we'd still have a problem with demand oustripping the supply of natural resources. Increased meat consumption is a part of that.

People can choose not to give a fuck, ignore it, argue over specifics or propose alternatives. Wanking on about bacon is boring though.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    8ball likes this.
  24. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Smokey is nice with a dollop of brown sauce.

tim likes this.
  25. xenon

That whey powder is a total fucking ripoff.

I'm eating more omlets and kidney beans lately. Not together.

26. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Full of nitrates and other carcinogens unless you buy the posh stuff

27. 8ball

Whey protein is pretty cheap imo (though there are all sorts you can get with spurious additives which are pretty expensive).
    Unless you're lactose intolerant like me, then it gets more expensive.

I prefer the vegan blends of rice, pea and hemp protein usually. Nice balanced absorption rate.

It's just for when I'm hitting the weights. I used to use more, but I try to eat more pulses these days.

I take issue with certain vegans on some points, but they're right about the pulses.

28. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

29. xenon

Hm do you know any good brands? Last time I looked they were 20 plus quid for a half empty tub. Fortunately I like beans. All of them pretty much. I just got to get a bit more creative with cooking snack type stuff with them.

30. Lorca

Lorca Somebody, after all, had to make a start

Even this story pales into insignificance compared to the issue of soil erosion, if I understand it correctly. The planet is losing 24 billion tonnes of soil a year largely due to intensive, industrialised farming and climate change (Third of Earth's soil is acutely degraded due to agriculture).
    I hope I'm wrong, or being over-dramatic, but without soil to grow food, which takes thousands of years to form, surely we're all truly fucked - the UN estimates at current soil loss rates we have about 60-100 years of crop harvests left, then we're in deep, deep trouble - in our children's lifetimes (Only 60 Years of Farming Left If Soil Degradation Continues) (Only 100 harvests left in UK farm soils, scientists warn - Farmers Weekly).
    The problem is compounded by the fact that we need to increase food production by 70% by 2050 due to population growth (FAO - News Article: 2050: A third more mouths to feed) whilst the usable amount of arable land is disappearing and of that which remains, the quality is diminishing. Not to mention the catastrophic decline of flying insects, most likely due to pesticides and climate change (Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers).
    Fundamentally, one way or another we're fighting over the distribution of the pie, but what if most of the pie itself is poisoned.

tl:dr - we're doomed!

campanula and Orang Utan like this.