Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

editor

hiraethified
Meat consumption is devastating some of the world’s most valuable and vulnerable regions, due to the vast amount of land needed to produce animal feed, a report has warned.

The growing popularity of a Western diet, which contains high levels of meat and dairy, means an area 1.5 times the size of the European Union would be saved if global consumption of animal products was reduced to meet nutritional requirements, according to the WWF.

The new report, Appetite for Destruction, launched at the Extinction and Livestock Conference, says the consumption of animal products is leading to a vast and increasing amount of land being used for crops.
Excessive animal product consumption is responsible for 60 per cent of all biodiversity loss, according to WWF, with the UK food industry alone directly linked to the extinction of an estimated 33 species.

“The world is consuming more animal protein than it needs and this is having a devastating effect on wildlife,” Duncan Williamson, WWF food policy manager said in a statement.

“A staggering 60 per cent of global biodiversity loss is down to the food we eat. We know a lot of people are aware that a meat-based diet has an impact on water and land, as well as causing greenhouse gas emissions, but few know the biggest issue of all comes from the crop-based feed the animals eat.”

Soy is produced in such large quantities that in 2010, the British livestock industry needed an area the size of Yorkshire to produce soy used for animal feed, the report said. To keep up with rising meat consumption, soy production is expected to rise 80 per cent by 2050.

Dietary guidelines recommend 45 to 55g of protein per day, yet the average person in the UK consumes between 64 and 88g, of which 37 per cent is meat-based.
Worrying stuff:
Meat eaters are officially destroying the planet, report warns

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
I'm tempted to say "them, and everyone else", but that doesn't really address the topic. It is true that a meat-heavy diet takes more resources to produce than a vegetarian one. The other issue that comes up with high meat diets is that it is causing the creation of antibiotic resistant bugs. We're going to regret losing the effectiveness of antibiotics almost as much as global warming.

DotCommunist

slowtime
I'm tempted to say "them, and everyone else", but that doesn't really address the topic. It is true that a meat-heavy diet takes more resources to produce than a vegetarian one. The other issue that comes up with high meat diets is that it is causing the creation of antibiotic resistant bugs. We're going to regret losing the effectiveness of antibiotics almost as much as global warming.
soviet phage therapy and crispr-cas9 will save us

editor

hiraethified
And more (old but still very valid):

Professor Edgar Hertwich, the lead author of the report, said: “Animal products cause more damage than [producing] construction minerals such as sand or cement, plastics or metals. Biomass and crops for animals are as damaging as [burning] fossil fuels.”

The recommendation follows advice last year that a vegetarian diet was better for the planet from Lord Nicholas Stern, former adviser to the Labour government on the economics of climate change. Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), has also urged people to observe one meat-free day a week to curb carbon emissions.

The panel of experts ranked products, resources, economic activities and transport according to their environmental impacts. Agriculture was on a par with fossil fuel consumption because both rise rapidly with increased economic growth, they said.
UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
tbh it's all fucked anyway and all meat eating will do is slightly accelerate the great horror rushing towards us
yes, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that its unlikely we'll be able to move fast enough. We would have to make drastic changes, very quickly, and they just don't happen that fast in real life. Still, gotta fight the good fight.

Reactions: Mab

editor

hiraethified
It's nice that the current affairs forum has relaxed rules on this sort of thing.
It's very much a current topic, no? It's not like anything substantial would have changed in 20 weeks to alter the worrying points being raised.

8ball

Having a teeny break
It's very much a current topic, no? It's not like anything substantial would have changed in 20 weeks to alter the worrying points being raised.
It's all the fault of these Huguenot immigrants and their pernicious effect on our national cuisine! :mad:

ddraig

dros ben llestri
they're just shitting up the thread as usual, need to shut it down
defensiveness

Lupa

I could live without most meat and fish.
But I couldn't live without cheddar cheese or bacon.
One of my few joys in life is the taste of bacon...and cheese....not together although that can be lovely too.
I'd happily forego all other meat...and fish...and even vegetables if only to have bacon once a week.
And I'd go so far as to say that life would not be worth living without my beloved cheddar on brown soda bread.

I’ve never quite understood the whole lettuce going well with bacon thing.
It helps to have mayonnaise and tomato with them...between toast.