Measles

Discussion in 'festivals' started by bi0boy, Aug 8, 2016.

1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

2. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

They had signs all over the airport when I went to America a few years back. Fucking anti-vaxxers not thinking through the implications of their cockwomblery.

3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Anti-vaxxers should be herded up and those who have been made ill through their idiocy should throw darts at them. Ideally tipped with a mercury compound.

trashpony and Greebo like this.
  4. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Quite. There are some people who have very valid health reasons why they can't have the vaccine, but they're a minority. Among other things, measles can cause miscarriage.

The only reason I never had the measles jab was that I caught it before being old enough to be given the vaccine (late 1960s, it was given at approx 18 months), and the GP thought that getting it for real should be protection enough. Still here in one piece, but I had it twice more before 10. The amount of time it meant I had to be not just off school (long enough to have school work sent home) but more or less isolated was nothing I'd recommend.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

"But Fawlty, they spread disease".

6. Vintage Paw

The fact that there are some people who legitimately cannot have the vaccine means it's all the more important that everyone else does.

I really hate anti-vaxxers.

7. edwinchester

edwinchester Well-Known Member

Should be shipped off back to the Dark Ages where they belong.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  8. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Been notified that the school I work in has outbreak of measles .
    I'm terrified of picking them up. I'm pretty sure I never had them...or rather my elderly mum is pretty sure.
    How bad are they in an adult?

9. farmerbarleymow

Childhood diseases can be worse in adults - or at least there seems to be increased risks of complications. It depends though - luck of the draw.

If you haven't had measles then it would be worth mentioning this to the school. I don't know how schools manage this sort of issue - whether, for example, they'd send staff vulnerable to the disease home until the risk had passed. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing about it at all.

Good luck and hope you escape the lurgy. :)

pogofish and PippinTook like this.
  10. PippinTook

The school responded by sending copies of the letter from the community doctor to every child's parents/guardians.
    But I think to be on the safe side I'll check with my Dr and take some time off. Might get the vaccine.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  11. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Which area of the country do you live in?

12. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Did you not have the MMR as a child?

PippinTook likes this.
  13. PippinTook

No. I was born pre vaccine

14. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

PippinTook likes this.
  15. Vintage Paw

What year did they start giving the vaccine? Him indoors had measles as a child (said it was the most awful experience of his life). He's 1 yr older than me. My mum says I had any and every vaccination going, so I'm guessing that would have included measles? I remember being in my early teens when the mmr stuff started being in the news, and we had an mmr leaflet at home, but I don't know whether I was given that vaccine then, or whether I'd already had something. I remember getting the TB jab as a young teen, because it was quite the event with the whole waiting to see if the circle of dots came up on your arm or not. I can't remember if I had anything else though.

I'm going to pay to get my chickenpox vaccine this year. I feel like it's a ticking time bomb, especially with more people I know having kids.

16. PippinTook

I might have had them as a kid ..but my mother doesn't remember that. She remembers whooping cough and mumps and chickenpox but not measles. I'm going to go to my Dr and see what he says.

17. Vintage Paw

Mum's just been telling me I had the whooping cough vaccine mostly because one of my cousins couldn't have it for some reason. My other cousins though weren't given it, and they gave him whooping cough in the end. Apparently he was very poorly with it. I ended up getting it too, but she says I didn't get the whooping bit, lol. I did have an xray though, which I have no recollection of. She said I caused a commotion and they ended up taking an xray of my mum's head. I guess they were pretty lax back then of letting you in with the machine :D

PippinTook likes this.
  18. Vintage Paw

OH! German measles. I remember all us girls being taken aside at school and being given the German measles jab. It felt kind of special and weird that we got one and the boys didn't. Obviously I understand why now, but at the time it was like this mystical weirdness, like when boys and girls were separated for their different 'sex and periods and things' talks :D

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I went through most of the chicken pox, measles, mumps etc as a kid. I got "complications" with both mumps and measles which was a pain at the time.
    I didn't get scarlet fever, though (despite at least two attempts) and my dose of whooping cough was very mild.
    I had all the vaccines available (polio, smallpox and diphtheria) at the time.
    I remember the TB test and subsequent jab ... my OH tells me that there was a reaction, so off for an x-ray ... there is a smallish area of scar tissue. As a teacher, the screening X-rays used to result in a call back every time ! so it seems likely that there was some TB in their childhood.

20. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

There is every possibility that you've had CP and not realised Vintage Paw.

We had a kid in with whooping cough at work the other day.

21. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I was hospitalised with scarlet fever whilst pregnant with my middle child. Some hardcore abx and we were ok.

My grandmother had SF as a child and the house was fumigated with sulphur and she was hospitalised for a long while.

22. farmerbarleymow

Yeah, 90% of adults have had it. The 10% are the unlucky buggers like me.

23. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

It is weird that in this country we just view it as a part of childhood, even deliberately exposing kids to it, whereas in the states they vaccinate against it.

24. Vintage Paw

My mum said I never had it. I remember being kept away from the neighbour kids when they had it (something I've told my mum off for since). So unless I had it with absolutely no symptoms, I've never had it.

25. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Does the cp vax then cover you for shingles then as well? If so it seems mad not to do everyone as a kiddie

26. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is coming......

No, it doesn't cover you for shingles, but it can reduce the severity if you get them.
    Boy 3 just had shingles and he had chicken pox as a child. He does have a compromised immune system though.

Iirc the mmr vac (measles, mumps and rubella) came out in the mid 80's? None of my kids had a chicken pox vac and they are all aged between 20 to 30..

27. Vintage Paw

I believe there is a separate shingles vaccine.

I think the way chickenpox and shingles work is you can't get shingles if you haven't had chickenpox, but you can catch chickenpox from someone who has shingles.

farmerbarleymow and nogojones like this.
  28. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my sort of understanding of it. So if the vax stops the CP thaen wouldn't it also stop shingles popping up as an oldie?

Maybe I'll look into all this in the morning when searching for sutff is more simple

29. farmerbarleymow

I gather that the shingles lesions need to be exposed (e.g. hands/face) to pose a risk of catching chicken pox through being in the same room, as the risk is low if they are covered by clothing. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance and just avoid someone with shingles like the plague.

Vintage Paw likes this.