1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meadow ends contractual obligations for player payments and support of club finances

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Scolly, Nov 6, 2017.

1. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

I know this is going to seem a bit dumb..... but what exactly is the situation with the bar profits? Don't quite get it.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  2. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Club have stated "we are entitled to net profit from match day activities (after costs have been deducted from the turnstiles and the bar)."

What that amounts to is anyone's guess, may be nothing, profit may be paid to club on monthly / bi-monthy basis (which would be to late). I think (but I'm sure I'll be corrected) the problem with the information the Club / Trust is being given by Meadow is very vague.
    We cannot be reliant on a 'possible' net profit being passed on and so revenue will need to be sourced elsewhere.

3. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Just had a thought, could Meadows just to refuse to allow the club play at the ground?
    What would happen then if they did?

4. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Unlikely, the club presumably holds a lease. Unless they breach that they should be ok. Clearly if it has been rent free to date, as I seem to remember being claimed, there may be challenges there.

I'd say the end of the lease may be an issue further down the line. I seem to recall the last extension wasn't for that long?

If it did happen the club would have to play fixtures at another ground with an appropriate ground grading, hence our infamous home game at Bognor Regis or, ultimately, fail to compete their fixtures.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Agreed.

But the Committee are pursuing Meadow for answers on this.

That’s why the statement was made yesterday - because the Committee has been put in a position that they regard as untenable.

PartisanDulwich, YTC and editor like this.
  6. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

If only we could control alcohol outlets on match day - we could make serious money

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice bit of support.

Jimbob73, Nivag, dcdulwich and 5 others like this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

It's Meadows Residential NOT Hadley.

9. Dulwich Mishi

But we don't. So it's not worth having this discussion at the moment. Stick to the practicalities of how we can help the playing budget as things stand over the next few weeks, at the very least...

10. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Whilst I take your point entirely Mishi, and I think that people are very much focused on the practicalities, the Oscar Wilde (mis) quote “we are in the gutter but at least we are looking at the stars” comes to mind.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  11. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Ideas comming to mind.
    Golden goal, I'd hapily sell and print the tickets which would add £45 a game to 12th man fund. I know a lot of clubs who do 50/50 also do golden goal.
    Although it wont make much of a differance its every little helps at this stage.

Sponsered walk to tooting on boxing day

Big G 76 and scousedom like this.
  12. PartisanDulwich

Have contributed numerous practical ideas (and some not so good) and carried them out - just like many others we all play are part ....... Look the reason we all think about the alcohol distribution - is we know its the big money earner, everything else is small in comparison. People ask about the bar and who gets the money and should we boycott
    but we never get an answer - if we have control of bar staff or not - who decides on outside bars (I take it we dont) - if bars are nothing within our powers (and cannot change) and we don't make any money then surely we should encourage fans not to drink in the bar and encourage local pubs to do deals for our fans/campaign

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    dcdulwich likes this.
  13. PartisanDulwich

also welcomed clarifications on issues like - those with season tickets wishing to pay for admission - pay the excess to the 12th man (I take it likewise those who could claim concessions) pay the extra (if they so wish) to the 12th man

Big G 76 likes this.
  14. YTC

YTC Human Man

Some light relief from the ComFast Chapter.

[​IMG]

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Another fucking idiot.

16. Dulwich Mishi

They actually charge a very reasonable rent, as I understand it, and always have, but can't recall the figure.

17. Dulwich Mishi

Indeed, but as it stands Meadows, or their 'subsidiaries, are currently running the bars/facilities. I am sure there are plans being made for other scenarios behind the scenes, but they wouldn't want the ideas discussed on a public forum at the moment, would be my guess.

PartisanDulwich and dcdulwich like this.
  18. Dulwich Mishi

If this was another club, from the outside looking in, it's not an entirely unexpected comment, if you don't know too much about our club, and you base it on that Evening Standard article. not saying I agree with those comments, I hasten to add!

19. bringbackelmo

bringbackelmo Well-Known Member

Quite, we had the same scenario at Hereford - people see big numbers and criticise without bothering to look into the story. The goodwill that you get will far outweigh the number of ill-informed idiots.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  20. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

On the goodwill of other fans angle... Any plans to ask permission to take 12th Man buckets and leaflets to away games?

21. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab New Member

I agree, and offer as evidence the 44 pages of text, gossip, outrage, banter & ridicule about another club.

Bizarrely, they've been no new posts since Sunday :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Mark Baker, Cyclodunc and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  22. scousedom

Or a Palace and/or a Milwall game...?

Big G 76 and YTC like this.
  23. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab New Member

On a personal note I wouldn't. If other fans wish to make donations then there are plenty of ways & opportunities for them to do so without stepping into their domain and asking for cash.

clog, Ludo, StephenMac and 2 others like this.
  24. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say that's a bit of a liberty when we're the biggest club in the league and top of the table.

pompeydunc, darryl, clog and 6 others like this.
  25. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah I have to agree.

What's the money for? Genuine question because at the moment I think it's not at all clear. If the issue here is that we need urgent funds to meet debts etc or the club will close then we need to be going down whatever route we can. If it's that we can't meet the ongoing playing budget then I think the answer is that we raise what we can or the budget has to be cut, to be honest. That might not be ideal but I don't think you can go asking other club's fans to pay future player wages when we have the crowds that we do.

Anyway that may or may not be the case but we seriously need more info I think. At the moment there's some info from Meadow and we obviously can't trust them.

pompeydunc, clog, blueheaven and 3 others like this.
  26. Dulwich Mishi

It's to ensure we can keep the current squad together. Meadows claim that we can't survive on what we bring in alone, through the gate and bar on a matchday alone...but that is, of course, based on their figures. We have a run of away games, so there is no income coming in, hence a current shortfall...

That's a basic assessment from me, I'm sure YTC or liamdhfc will be able to correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption.

Matt The Cab and YTC like this.
  27. YTC

YTC Human Man

Exactly that. All money is going to the 12th man, which will be able to cover any shortfall.

The 'cut the budget' chat is nonsense in my opinion. It was signed off because it was manageable. Manageable because our gate outstrips the wage bill by almost 50%. I don't think the 'non league manager bullies new york hedge fund' narrative has much kudos.

The reason we have a 'high' wage bill for our league, is because we bring in a huge amount more money than anyone else in the league. If you think we should now 'cut our cloth', you've taken Meadow's line we're not sustainable.

Lyham, Poids, Harry R and 1 other person like this.
  28. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I'm not in a position to know the budget. If it's affordable then great, no need to cut it, and I'm certainly not arguing that it is. My point though is that doesn't fit with taking buckets around away games asking for contributions from other team's fans (or asking people to circulate online fundraising appeals to be honest).

darryl, clog and YTC like this.
  29. scousedom

Yes I can see it probably wouldn’t go down well within our League. But the Milwall/Palace angle is more worth exploring perhaps? We’re a second club to so many of their fans.

YTC likes this.
  30. YTC

YTC Human Man

Totally agree. Not in our league!!

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.