Mayweather V McGregor ... the Circus comes to town

Discussion in 'general sports' started by LiamO, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Yep all that, but when we get onto Alvarez v ggg, there will be a reminder what a sideshow this was.

2. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Exactly mate. Am in Spain for that ffs but will find a bar somewhere that is screening it as it had all the makings of an absolute classic.

Wilf likes this.
  3. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I think McGregor lasted as long as he did was because of his awkwardness and odd and unconventional movement. Perhaps he wasn't humiliated, however given all the bravado and big talking beforehand, he was somewhat humbled imo.

I'm wondering with all the talk about how Conor did a lot better everybody expected if there could be a possible rematch. Conor thought himself to be "pretty handy" in the first 3 rounds so maybe he could be persuaded that given a bit of extra time to train he could have another go, assuming PBF would even entertain the idea especially after he's already "been there, done that", however the potential of an equally big or bigger pay check might be persuasive to both of them.

4. PaoloSanchez

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I don't think a rematch would be such a financial draw and anyhow Mayweather has his record 50-0 now and all that money so he really has no need. Plus he promised his family no?

6. PaoloSanchez

I agree, in theory it shouldn't be as big a financial draw, however if they managed to hype it up again $400 million dollars might be enough to persuade PBF to come out of retirement again. With him being a bit older and McGregor given more time to train, folks might believe it to be a more even contest.

Ok I'm going to stop now because I can't believe I've been duped into giving this so much attention, lol. This "fight" was like one of those stupid drunk dude in a pub questions, "who would win in a fight between a shark and a grizzly bear". McGregor is the grizzly bear, Mayweather the shark and the fight is to be staged in the ocean. I wonder who's gonna win that one.

7. Wilf

If there was a condition that they both had to fight ggg before they got their rematch, I suspect any such talk - if there is any - would dry up sharpish.

twistedAM likes this.
  8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

But we'll also get a reminder of what a circus proper boxing can also be. One judge scoring the fight in an unashamedly bent manner. edit: Or at the very very least, utterly incompetent.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  9. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

She was obviously bribed... Literally impossible to score that that fight 8 rounds in favour of Canelo.

bendeus likes this.
  10. Wilf

Only thing is, if she was bribed, why not give it to Canelo by a couple of rounds to make it look respectable? 8 rounds is almost too daft to be a bribe (or is that the point? :confused: ).

11. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I agree but stupid people do stupid things and she probably was so focused on giving him every round she possibly could that she effectively lost track of how lopsided her scoring was. There's no way any half-cognisant person could give that fight to Canelo by 8 rounds.

Wilf likes this.
  12. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Bit of murkiness about the judge who gave it as a draw as well - giving round 7 to alzarez when GGG easily won all those middle rounds.

Wilf likes this.
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

There has been a lot of bad judging in MMA as well, including from some of the very same judges as used in boxing like Adalaide Byrd. And although I wouldnt rule out corruption in some of those cases, a lot of it just reeks of incompetence. It usually takes many repeat failings for a particular shit judge to eventually be removed from the role.

When the decisions are bad they are often spectacularly bad, and in MMA people are always warned to try real hard to finish their fights, and not assume they are ahead on rounds at any point, because of how shit the judging often is. Sometimes a bad result happens because of some unfortunate detail of the scoring system used, but a lot of them just involve specific judges being clueless.

14. Wilf

I've only seen highlights but enough to know it was a classic with ggg stalking for most of the fight, Canelo counterpunching but not quite running. Beautiful display of different styles, but not quite up there with the Hearns, Hagler, Leonard era in terms of drama and swings. But yeah, it should have been impossible to see it as anything closer than ggg by at least 2 rounds. Terrible result. Even the people who have been saying an overall draw was okay, it's just the 118-110 that was bonkers are miles out.

15. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

MMA is also more difficult to score, with nebulous concepts like "Octagon/Cage control" to take into account. How much is a takedown worth if no damage is done etc.

elbows likes this.
  16. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

Hmnnnn - imagine that on the tube next to you or even in your fucking lift..

I love the fact people are just looking at him in that special London way..

17. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

18. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

19. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Imagine being a grown man and referring to yourself as a gangster :D

bromley likes this.
  20. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Who the gangster?

I'm sure they don't use that term themselves. Just the public and the Press.

21. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Meant to be linked to the Kinahan crowd apparently... Said for a while now that McGregor looks out of control. Be a hell of a wake-up for him if the story is legit.

22. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Given the fb posts are lifted straight from the accounts of family of people directly involved, I think we can assume a modicum of verisimilitude - all from one particular point of view of course.

23. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Why not go over there, and point that out?

Best case scenario: you solve a whole massive drugs war.

I’d put a fiver towards sponsoring that :thumbs:

bromley and LiamO like this.