Mayweather V McGregor ... the Circus comes to town

Discussion in 'general sports' started by LiamO, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

The very idea of this taking place anywhere except on a PlayStation game would be dismisssed, scorned and derided until very recently - but it appears it's actually happening.

I have to confess I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand I am aghast at the ridiculous notion that a man who has never had a professional boxing match will be able to legitimately challenge one of the all-time greats. The ultimate triumph of style over substance?

On the other. I can't help but admire McGregor's balls and ability to will things into being. He was on the dole less than 5 years ago FFS.

It's all about the numbers, all about the money for at least two of the three parties (Mayweather & the UFC). Obviously McGregor is hugely motivated by money too but he apparently actually believes he can pull this off and is chasing glory too. If he wins he gains immortality. If he loses he gains $100 Million plus, wipes away the snot and goes back to UFC - or indeed walks away to spend the rest of his days showing off and counting his money (or maybe doing community work).

He can't lose really. Nor can the UFC. Boxing can though. Badly.

And so can Mayweather. In fact he is lose/lose in my book. WIn the fight and boxing people will say 'So what, you money-grubbing cunt'. Lose and he is forever a laughing stock.

Views and predictions?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Jay Park, Dr. Furface and weltweit like this.
  2. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

wtfffffff

iona likes this.
  3. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Mayweather to win easily unless McGregor kicks him in the balls accidentally on purpose and doesn't get disqualified.

Jay Park and weltweit like this.
  4. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Exhibition nonsense. Its OK in a bit of a side show at the carnival kind of way. Given the money being talked about I'm not surprised that they're both keen, I am surprised so many people are excited by it.

As for the fight itself Mayweather should beat him comfortably unless McGregor manages to land with one. I imagine he'll just go all out for a knock out and punch himself out. Anyway, when was the last time there was a great Mayweather fight? He's been winning on points for years now, no disrespect to him as he's one the greatest but this is Harlem Globetrotters stuff.

weltweit likes this.
  5. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

And yet... it will be car crash TV... and tens of millions of fascinated/gullible people will pay through the nose to watch it.

I was just sat thinking 'No fuckin way am I dragging my carcass out of bed at 5am to watch this pantomime' but then the 'What if the cheeky fucker pulls it off? Do you really wanna say you were smugly snoozing when history was made?' kicks in.

Head says mega snoozefest with The Mayflower dancing and throwing more shapes than punches - whilst McGregor huffs and puffs. But then there is always the chance that, precisely because McGregor will not do/move/punch as a boxer does, that Money might get pinged. And if he does? Lights out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    weltweit likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

The money team indeed.

7. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

McGregor is at his prime, whereas Mayweather is past his. McGregor is fight sharp, whereas Mayweather is ring rusty. They'll fight at light middleweight which will suit McGregor better than Mayweather. And Mayweather has always struggled against southpaws. But I still think Mayweather will win easily.

weltweit likes this.
  8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

9. Teaboy

Even if he does pull it off its still defeating a past his best fighter, someone who has come out of retirement for a big pay day in a fight where no belts are on the line. Its more like a Rocky script than sport.

Actually are any belts on the line?

weltweit likes this.
  10. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

11. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Mayweather's going to empty McGregor faster than Ernie delivers milk :D

weltweit likes this.
  12. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

13. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

There is absolutely 100% no chance whatsoever that Conor McGregor will ever beat Mayweather. None. At all.

14. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

... and yet.

I am a shit pool player. My mate Breff was a top class pool player who often represented Ireland. I only ever played him three times. Beat him three times. He just shrugged and said 'Play a cunt, look a cunt'.

What he meant was that, because I did not think/act/play like a top-class pool player, he found it very difficult to strategise against me (I actually had no strategy at all) because, as he so eloquently put it, I played 'like a cunt'.

I was a decent enough amateur kickboxer (WKA and Muay Thai) but had very little boxing experience. Yet boxer mates found me so irrational/irritating to spar aginst that several (including good mates, in fact especially good mates) simply refused to get into the ring with me.

That, for me, is McGregor's only chance. The fact that he will a) stand and b) move in ways that Mayweather has never had to confront before and will also c) strike from angles that are equally as alien. And if somebody as ego-driven as Mayweather feels he is being made to look a cunt...

Of course Mayweather may just box/jab/dance the head clean off of him which would be, by overwhelming consensus, the most likely outcome.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

I would not pay too much heed to that video at all. McGregor looks so bad that I cannot see it as anything less than a fairly blatant attempt to encourage Mayweather to sign up for the fight.

Why else would McGregor allow it to be filmed and released at a time when they were struggling to get Mayweather onboard?

And why would anybody be sparring a southpaw to prepare for Mayweather?

bromley and Athos like this.
  16. Teaboy

Up to date cultural reference there. One for the urban kids.;)

17. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Balbi By 'empty' do you mean 'knock him out'? Hardly The Mayflower's signature dish is it?

I fear McGregor may well be made to look a fool - as in unable to land a punch - but cannot see Mayweather having the power to knock him out. Unless the fight drags on and McGregor gasses out first.

But if McGregor pings him (and I say that in full knowledge that far superior boxers have tried and failed to land that clean punch) then Mayweather falls.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    weltweit likes this.
  18. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

I know what you mean about snooker/pool. Professional players get used to other pros and so if you break off and put the balls all over the place in snooker then they're a bit flummoxed. I guess that's what you're saying about amateur kickboxing or whatever.

Thing is, this is an undefeated world champ who has made the likes of Canelo Alvarez look shite. If he can't hit him then there's no chance that McGregor is going to, even if he does employ a brand new boxing style that has never been seen in the ring. Don't get me wrong, you have a point but I think McGregor will have trained just enough to have got rid of the amateur shenanigans. Mayweather has been boxing all his life, McGregor hasn't. Absolutely no chance whatsoever.

I'm still having a few quid on CM each round though. The odds will be ridiculous.

Grace Johnson likes this.
  19. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I am only so interesting in this being as how there is no chance I will get to see the actual fight. Good luck to both of them though on making a killing on the money side of it.

20. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

It will be fucking boring. Mayweather will skip round and jab him for 12 rounds and win on points

LiamO likes this.
  21. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

This will be like WWF transposed to boxing i reckon. Luvvies throwing pulled punches.

22. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

anyone old enough to remember the farce when Mohammed Ali fought that Japanese wrestler? or when Rocky fought Hulk Hogan?

23. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Or the original UFC when Royce Gracie fought a boxer with one glove who basically tapped out cos he was stuck on the ground and bored?

This will be as constructive an exercise as that was. The only difference is that both fighters are household names. A circus by any other name...

The39thStep likes this.
  24. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

mibbe the fight is on in the east, cos the E is only speedy in the west

LiamO likes this.
  25. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

He tapped as soon as it went to the ground as he had never experienced a submission attempt before. He also only wore one glove so that it would be easier for the ref to see him tapping.

26. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

That Japaneses wrestler is a legend, Antonio Inoki.

27. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

The guy commentating on this is worth a listen

28. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

everyone I know is so hyped for this fight :cool:

fuck me mcgregor is hot

29. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

I'll only watch it if they both get knocked out or badly hurt, and only then three weeks later on YouTube while doing eating a sandwich. It's a farce, a joke, and I dislike both of them tremendously.

Badgers likes this.
  30. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I understand sparring partners who rely on him for their living saying he has a chance but anyone who actually understands boxing knows that he has virtually zero chance. The fight will last as long as Mayweather wants it to, be it a distance humiliation where he wins every second of every round or a stoppage whenever he feels like upping the ante. McGregor will be so far out of his depth he won't know whether to piss or go blind. 1/6 on a Mayweather win is too long a price, it should be closer to 1/100...

Jay Park and Badgers like this.