Max Roach Park and the 'Brixton Castle'

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 24, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Ah! So mind isn't playing tricks on me. I thought "hang on, I swear there didn't used to be ruins in Max Roach park". That's pretty cool :)

3. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I remember when Max Roach came to open it. Brilliant man, brilliant drummer who did so much for civil rights and the way he encouraged young musicians was equally important. His legacy spanned the globe and I was really pleased that they decided to name the park after him.

ska invita likes this.
  4. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

The kids playground there is really impressive. I always wish I was a child whenever I go past.

5. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

What got named after Harold McNair and Joe Harriott :confused:
    I wonder where we would find Sharon Atkins's complete list of 27 sites?

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  6. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

That was built several years ago, wasn't it?

7. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I walked through tonight and the diversity brought tears to my eyes,from the street drinkers to the mums and dads and their children made me realise we can all get on and have fun.:)

RaverDrew likes this.
  8. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Lots of streets in SW8 bordering Wandsworth named after black athletes - Tessa Sanderson, Daley Thompson etc.

Between Wandsworth Road and Robertson Street if you're looking.

Having lived around there at the time, I could have sworn they were before 1986 but could be wrong.

9. Mrs Magpie

@ lang rabbie

Atkin, not Atkins

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The 'castle'? No, it opened quite recently but they took an awful long time building it.

11. lang rabbie

As recently as the 1996 Clapham Town by-election, there were members of at least two political parties who referred to that area as the "Black Athletes Estate" because no one had the foggiest where the Heath Road estate was!

oryx likes this.
  12. lang rabbie

Oops - typing plus post-committee booze is a bad combination.

By the way whatever happened to her?

13. peterkro

Heath road,squatters, dealers,great times and great people.

14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

My grandfather lived on the little block that overlooks max roach park...true story

15. Mrs Magpie

I know she's written at least one cookery book.

16. peterkro

Which little block? I'm not suggesting your lying it's just I've lived here since '76 and can't think of a block that overlooks the park.

17. Mrs Magpie

The one that is opposite the one o'clock club (parallel-ish to Brixton Road).

18. peterkro

What the low rise on Wiltshire road they hardly overlook the park.(sorry I appear to be being bollocky,I'm genuially interested ,the third floor of the houses in V road and St Johns Crescent are surely the only ones that overlook the park)

19. ska invita

yeah the low rise one. He died when i was 6 but ive got a memory of sleeping in his house and it being so dark in the room i couldnt find my way out and getting a bit scared by it... not much of an anecdote im afraid.

hang on, not sure if its the one you mean...will look it up

20. ska invita

one of these:
    [​IMG]

21. peterkro

OK I recognise the build style if not where they actual are,and I can see they do overlook the park to some extent.Those buildings were'nt there when I first moved in (neither was the park or the estate.it was infinity gardens when I lived on the north side of St Johns Crescent.Sorry I'm being a bit stroppy but I've lived there since '76 and I'm about to leave,bit of an emotional wrench.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've been done up very nicely indeed now.

23. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

unfortunatly none of the drinkers seem to find much use for the castle. which is a shame as i think being there all day they would really benifit from having a play area

although i think the old spider web thing may have been too much of a riskfor the sobriatly challenged

24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

In pedantic mood this morning - I seem to recall (unlike some of the Levenson 900) that Max Roach Park comes in two parts. The northern section, between Peckford Place and Loughborough Road, is overlooked by "one of those" and the southern section between Villa Road and St John's Crescent is now surmounted by the quasi ruined Castle construction.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  25. Mrs Magpie

I thought initially the Wiltshire Road ones, not the ones that are on the edge of Angell Town.

26. peterkro

Well done,in my less than exact terminology I've always referred to that as the strip of land with the daffodils.You are indeed right it is indeed part of the park.

27. peterkro

I fear if they went near it they'd be ripped apart given the present climate about paedophilia .I saw a very comical fight over there last night between people who where also fighting to stand up.There's quite a few from the refugee centre (not drinkers) who sit around chatting in their first languages,sometimes it's like a little united nations.Most of the drinkers are fine it's only a couple who get shouty occasionally .

28. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I see.

I remembered going past it on the bus on my way to & from work, from where I used to live. I moved over 2 years ago.

29. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Somewhere in between - I think it's been there about a year but the building started / stopped / started again, and they only got round to grassing it more recently and finishing it when they finished the rest of the playground. Whilst it was being built i did think "WTF is that?" but I now I think it's pretty cool (if you're a kid!)

30. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

yes I've been commuting past it for some years wondering what it was.

I really like the metal sculpture of the person holding a child on the corner of St J Cres and Brixton Hill.