1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Vintage Paw, Jun 16, 2015.

1. NoXion

NoXion Give me communism or give me death

I've seen the pages from the official romance guide. I am not happy. My only hope is that they've been wrong before, they might be wrong again.

Fucking WHY?! It makes no sense! :mad:

2. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I don't think they are wrong. Previewers are confirming it.

(If you're specifically talking about Jaal)

What makes it so very, very odd is that people I know dug very deep into the code, and the code explicitly had flags for Scott and for Sara. This wasn't audio that was never utilised (as has happened in the past, giving many false hope), but coding that shouldn't have been there if it wasn't meant to trigger. The person who dug the deepest is a game programmer, btw, although they haven't worked with frostbite.

This is the code that modders turn on in order to make straight romances available for gay players. It was already turned on.

It's really confusing. There has to be a missing link somewhere.

Anyway, I've eaten all the chocolate in the house, and now I'm going to go and have the Citadel party in ME3 and cry into my drink with Grunt.

3. NoXion

Well, you did say his romance triggers late, right? Maybe the previewers haven't caught it. At this point I'm grasping at straws, I really am.

Failing that, what're the chances that BioWare will learn from their mistake and have Jaal be romanceable by M!Ryders in later games? It happened with Tali and she turned out to be my favourite romance in the OT. And I guess BroSheps finally got to be able to romance Kaidan in ME3 (gay friend of mine did that in his playthrough IIRC). But you'd think that by the fourth game they'd have have fucking gotten it right by now.

4. tiki

tiki Penelope Keiths Daughter

I'm so upset that I won't be able to romance Cora. Not really excited about the other romance options.

5. Vintage Paw

It is straws, I think. I've been on an emotional freaking rollercoaster the past few days in the thread that's been trying to piece everything together, and I've remained utterly hopeful right up until the end. The Prima guide, along with several previewers (who travelled to EA/BW a couple of times to play and talk to the devs before release) all saying the same has killed all the hope. It's a done deal I think.

I'm not certain they'll open him up in later games (if there are any - reviews are a bit brutal). Their latest thing is "we will only make someone gay if it makes sense for their character" (because gay people all have some kind of backstory reason to be gay, amirite?) - and they're being quite focused at making sure all the characters state their preference at some point or another so as to avoid confusion, and to apparently make them more 'realistic'. So with that in mind, I think they'll have shot themselves in the foot with that.

But you know, it's the imbalance that gets me, not the exact specifics of who can boink who.

Look at how many women there are in that romance roster. And look how many men. And break it down into who's into who. And then see what kind of character they are - e.g. a squad mate with lots of central story narrative versus a random bloke locked away in the hold or some rando on a planet somewhere.

It's not a good look.

And this is where I get into dodgy territory, but a friend on the thread I've been frequenting had a leak some weeks/months ago from someone who had viewed some of the romance scenes as part of their job (as QA I think). Bit by bit, every single one of the things they said in that leak have come true. The last was that Jaal was straight.

But here's the kicker. They also offered a reason for it, that they'd been told while there. That it was a conscious decision to not have a gay/bi male squad mate, because they didn't want to make straight male players uncomfortable.

Now, we all took that with a pinch of salt and refused to believe it, because this is BioWare, right? And it seems a bit consiraloony.

But every single other thing they leaked has been proven correct.

6. Vintage Paw

From what I've seen (which isn't everything, admittedly) her romance scenes really are the best in the game. I haven't seen Liam's yet - I'd expect them to be somewhat on a par, if not quite as good. Peebee's aren't as good. The gays are fade to black (to my knowledge) because of course they are. Gays are icky.

Not that I'm especially bothered about seeing tits and ass in space, but I do expect equal fucking treatment for everyone involved.

7. NoXion

All I can say for the moment is that this definitely upsets me more than the lack of squad customisation. I guess it's because there are plenty of other games where I can get my fix of pew-pew laser action, but very few where I can interact with well-rounded alien characters, as people rather than targets.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  8. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I need to ask a question, whilst not reading this thread...
    does anyone remember the leaked me:a footage from around a year ago that I think was part of someone's showreel??
    I can't seem to find it and wanted to check the character models and animations because I vaguely remember them being quite good..

9. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

I was wrong, the planet scanning isnt that bad, i just wasnt doing it right.
    Ive also fucked up as i got a key from cd keys, want to continue but the key wont be sent until Weds.
    Might just buy it and give my mate the cd keys key.. but then im a bit pissed at the sec ,so might not :)

Vintage Paw likes this.
  10. Vintage Paw

I don't remember that, I'm sorry.

Honestly, for me animation is on par with what it's always been in a BioWare game. There are awkward moments, there are good moments. None of it has particularly bothered me. We're all bothered by different things though.

11. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

I was saying to a mate earlier, I think a lot of the bitching about the game comes from young uns who expect to much, I started gaming with pixels , so all this is great

NoXion likes this.
  12. Vintage Paw

13. moon

It was this clip

14. moon

15. Vintage Paw

It's all just so sad.

16. Vintage Paw

One single, solitary arsehole has to come along and give the gays the hope again:

The gays are hurting dude... don't fuck with people.

17. Vintage Paw

18. NoXion

Heh, account suspended. I suppose it's for the best.

19. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

20. Vintage Paw

It's amazing. They've managed to piss off everyone in one way or another.

And over the romance, 2017 is looking like the year the gays and the 'gaters came together to share a common bond

21. Vintage Paw

I've seen all the gay romance now. Reyes' romance has its nice points, but is ultimately woefully lacking in comparison to not only the 'main' straight romances in MEA, but also in comparison to Kaidan's romance in ME3. As is Gil's.

You done fucked up, BioWare.

NoXion likes this.
  22. moon

Who is Bioware now anyway? I thought all the key ME:1-3 people had left and set up a new studio?

23. Vintage Paw

The two doctors who founded BioWare left some time ago. Quite a long time ago, in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps around the time EA acquired the studio? I can't quite remember.

The company is split up into 3 main teams, each working on different projects with some overlap. Mac Walters worked on all the games in the original trilogy, and is creative director today. His writing is an exit from that of Drew Karpyshyn's (who wrote ME1 and a couple of early ME novels - Mac wrote a couple of later ones).

There are still a lot of the old names there, but as I understand it they've suffered high turnover in recent years, and certainly in the last couple of years the loss of good people has been dramatic, across teams.

David Gaider was the daddy of the DA franchise. It's entirely down to him that Thedas is as willing to tackle progressive ideas and be as gay as it is. He left the company entirely a year or so ago to work at Beamdog (who had taken on production of Bauldurs Gate stuff). Patrick Weekes used to write for the ME team, but when Gaider left DA he moved over there as lead writer. He's just as progressive and an utterly all-round cool dude, so I have faith DA will continue to push for good content in that regard. Of course, ME lost an ally when he moved. There's only one DA writer who worked on ME - Sheryl Chee - and she is responsible for pushing damn fucking hard to make Vetra - the turian squadmate - bi in this game. It wouldn't have happened without her.

Of course, the politics and priorities of those in BioWare's top management are largely unknown. With BioWare's reputation, it's easy to assume they're totes progressive and cool and so on, but fans are quite naive when it comes to assuming that, imo. Particularly since so many have left the company recently.

I've gone to bat for BioWare more times than I care to remember. They're still my favourite studio. At the same time, I've criticised them with gay abandon when they've stumbled. The ME team stumbles something chronic, it seems. I'll still go to bat for them when I think it's warranted, because I want them to succeed. It's in my interests for them to succeed, because there isn't another studio out there like them. They've been trailblazers in terms of lgbt content, for well over a decade now. And many on their teams have been outspoken in the media about it as well, which matters.

I think that's why there are a lot of people hurting today. Because BioWare means a lot.

moon and NoXion like this.
  24. Vintage Paw

Second tweet was him saying "no, you can't romance Jaal." He asked a dev for clarification. He went on to say he was certain he'd flirted with him a couple of times. Hey buddy, "I think I flirted with him a couple of times" is a bit different to "trust me, you can romance him, I fucked him."

He locked his account to private shortly afterwards.

25. NoXion

Is "suspended" the same as "private"? The former word suggests that Twitter themselves took action.

I was still sore about the Jaal discovery when I woke up today. Was thinking about it a lot at work this morning. I think I'm mostly over it now. I kind of surprised myself with how strongly I felt it.

26. Vintage Paw

Oh, I don't know. I just remember him saying he was going to lock his account. Maybe he got into shenanigans.

So I've just found out that Liam has a woeful lack of romance content as well. The only other guy who can be romanced in the game, he's the straight guy on the squad. I thought for sure he'd have content at least almost equal to Cora. Nope. Not even close. Doesn't look like there's a sex scene, just a bit of smooching on his couch.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Cora has had 70% of the romance and animation budget thrown at her. Her naked model is entirely unique and rendered well beyond anything in the game proper. Her sex scene is like a tech demo. "Look at what we're capable of." The only other one that comes remotely close is Peebee, the asari. But that's just in terms of there being naked intimacy - the animation work isn't anywhere near as good and the body modelling is angular and sub-par (more what you'd expect from BioWare of old).

Cora is clearly their default romance. They obviously wanted to make something erotic and titillating for straight guys (inc. themselves) and threw everything they had at it. And straight women and gay guys (and gay women to an extent - although they get Peebee by proxy because asari) had better well be grateful for their table scraps. "At least we acknowledge you exist at all, amirite?"

I can't help but think there are some in the DA team who are embarrassed to be tarred with the BioWare name today.

27. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Ok bought it and been playing on korean server through VPN.

This is my first Mass Effect game.

It's a decent game but for the hype I'm not too impressed, Tempest animations look like an interns attempt ( I have seen better 60's manga type animation) and the fucking cut scenes that you cannot skip.

Also I know some of you want this sexual undertone but I don't, it's shit, fucking characters coming on to me all the fucking time, we are fighting for our lives FFS. I want military type discipline, if I want to flirt, I go out in the fucking real world and at least I have an option of saying FUCK RIGHT OFF.

I will also add that you are invincible, even in hard mode, game is far too easy

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 1:57 AM
  28. Vintage Paw

If you don't want romance, don't play a BioWare game. It's their thing. You don't have to romance anyone, but you're going to encounter opportunities to do so. If it rankles that much, it's not the studio for you.

And if it's too easy, Insanity is your poison of choice.

NoXion likes this.
  29. Vintage Paw

Well, I have VPN'd. So let's see how it goes.

30. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

It is my first BioWare game ever.

It is not the constant sexual overtones I am bothered about, it's the teen, clumsy attempt of incorporating it, it is like the dialogue was written by 13 year old girls.

I even had a Tech come up to me and ask about a member of my crew and to say oh he's hot, can you tell him that for me. FFS, as I said pre teen.

Insanity is still really easy, just that the 'baddies' have more hitpoints, the AI is painfully incompotent.

The cut scenes are really bugging me, especially the poor animations of the the Tempest.