Marvels of the Kenwood Chef

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by teuchter, Feb 6, 2017.

1. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I like the way he's actually cleaned shit up as well as working on the mechanicals. This could be a lesson to us all...

bluescreen likes this.
  2. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Credit where it's due, my grandmother used to say.

existentialist likes this.
  3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Right, well I may have to confess that there is a chance that it might be avocado packaging and it may even have been from Waitrose. However I will then very quickly move on to say that I was not the person who purchased or ate the majority of the avocados within. It is true that I allowed these items to enter my home but I'm sure that we are all aware that we sometimes have to accept compromise in life.

quimcunx, bimble and bluescreen like this.
  4. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

It being 14 February and all. :thumbs:

teuchter likes this.
  5. existentialist

It is a thing of beauty, teuchter - please feel under no need to defend or explain your consumer choices...

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

teuchter Have you successfully reassembled it? I'm kind of hoping that if you start posting pictures of your culinary feats I'll be motivated to try using my machine as well in hope of annoying you with more impressive cookies or something.

Guineveretoo and existentialist like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

he's chopped the tips off his fingers by mistake and is waiting to have them surgically restored.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  8. teuchter

Yes I have. I can post a photo later. I am yet to test it out culinarily though.

P.S. reported to Americanism Watch.

moose and bimble like this.
  9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I made a bread! it's edible. :cool:

Guineveretoo and mrs quoad like this.
  10. teuchter

photos?

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I never said it was beautiful. Think it wanted to be a cake reallly.
    IMG_4321.JPG

12. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

That's not bad!

bimble likes this.
  13. existentialist

I'd be proud of that.

14. teuchter

Is that the Chef in the background?

15. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thank you ! Yes that's the machine the silvery thing.

16. mrs quoad

That's not a chef, is it?

:hmm:

Edit: pounds to pennies that's a Prospero, thumbs.

Edit2: tracking back through this thread, I believe this misattribution is attributable to teuchter. One would not encounter this kind of rookie error on mumsnet. Duly reported to kenwoodchefwatch.

17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Spot on. It is called a Prospero ! Is that a different kind of animal or just like the bmw of kenwood chefs though?

Guineveretoo likes this.
  18. mrs quoad

They're just pitched differently.

KMixes are for people who watched bake off and actually want a KitchenAid, Chefs are for people who want want the same thing their grandparents had which didn't break down for 73 years, Prosperos are pitched at people with short counters and a non-pathological stand mixer budget.

Guineveretoo and quimcunx like this.
  19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Your famed crytpicness has heretofore been just been pleasantly baffling but now I am very confused. What does this say about the man who donated this machine to me when he had to upgrade to the titanium one?
    Is a short counter just a small kitchen worktop? Is a pathological stand mixer budget a good thing? :(

Guineveretoo likes this.
  20. teuchter

What what? I will not tolerate any misattributions being attributed to me. I demand a retraction.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  21. teuchter

Also, it looks like I am going to have to ban bimble from the thread for not having an actual Chef.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

:(
    It is true. The Prospero is not a subspecies of the Chef, it's like the smaller cheaper version. I am ashamed.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 15.53.33.png

Guineveretoo likes this.
  23. mrs quoad

The one I got exactly a year ago - also a titanium - cost £280 then. I'm shocked to see it's priced at £500 now (!) It's basically a huge, and arguably overpowered, engine housing w/ four differently-geared access points. It's, arguably, a triumph of pragmatic bastard powerful design over aesthetics or practicality (mine is about 8kg, and has to be pulled out of a cupboard twice daily, when used).

Prosperos start at about £100, up to about £250. They've got eminently sensible motors, about ⅔ of the oomph of a titanium chef. And, I think, fewer (and less robust) attachments / attachment points.

KMixes, uh. I don't even know what they're there for, apart from to look pretty? And for someone who will only ever use the bowl. (As their shape means they can't fit owt on the back). And I've just had a look at Kenwood's patissier line, which looks bewildering - a 400W motor (for sth handling patisserie / dough?! This is the main reason I went for a 1,400w machine!) for about the same price as Prospero's twice-the-oomph 900w.

(Which's reviews also gave very different feedback about mixing etc for the various models but, in all honesty, sometimes I think which reviewers just make shit up to fill out some boxes. "Quality of cake blending" seems properly subjective, fo e.g.)

Basically, you've got the non-wanky sensibly-priced workhorse. If your man was properly keen about his cooking, I can well understand why he wanted more oomph. He's gone from entry level Kenwood workhorse to overpowered Kenwood workhorse, skipping the pointless / mostly aesthetic options.

So, yeah. I'd say you've certainly landed a winner, if this was for free. Thumbs.

bimble likes this.
  24. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Am encouraged. Thank you. So I have a good beginners machine then, and can also give the man the benefit of the doubt, as he is quite serious sometimes in his kitchen.
    Also, I have all the ingredients for banana bread. Thinking this might be a good next step.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  25. mrs quoad

Does it have the food processor bit? W/ blades?

26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Yes. Loads of attachments, including a few blades, and several receptacles, some of them duplicated (the metal bowls, and a plastic thing shaped like a jug).

27. mrs quoad

The food processor is tremendous for things like fruit crumbles / salads. Yesterday, three ottolenghi salads and a rhubarb and apple crumble were all made using, mostly, the food processor. (Slicing 400g of / 10 thin rhubarb sticks into 2mm slices is infinitely more enjoyable when the only work involved is dropping them down a choppy tube).

Guineveretoo and bimble like this.
  28. existentialist

*gasp* I'm so sorry, Bimble.

There must be a support group? Surely?

Guineveretoo and bimble like this.
  29. teuchter

I have noted that there are options for grating/slicing attachments. Either high speed on top (circular discs spinning), or low speed attached to the "nose" (more like a rotary drum). Thoughts/preferences/recommendations?

30. teuchter

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 10.09.42.jpg

This is mine, now reassembled and hopefully working properly. Today I have to make a particularly large birthday cake and it will be the first time it has been used in anger. If you never hear from me again it means the Chef exploded and took me out with it.