Marvels of the Kenwood Chef

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by teuchter, Feb 6, 2017.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 16.58.38.jpg

A fellow south londoner left one of these out on the street last night and now it is MINE.

I have never previously owned a Kenwood Chef.

This is a model 701A and was made between 1962 and 1976.

An experiment yesterday involving a cheese souffle revealed some mechanical issues and these are going to be attended to.

Some time on the internet and youtube in particular has revealed to me that the attachment opportunities do not end with the stuff that goes around in the bowl but are present at no less than three additional locations.

Are you too the proud owner of a Kenwood Chef? You should feel free to speak openly on this thread.

2. TruXta

TruXta tired

Dp

Eta fucks sake my post got lost :mad:
    I was saying to teuchter that if he's not going to grind his own meat from now on I'll be very disappointed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    TopCat likes this.
  3. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

My granny had one which was passed to my mum. She never used it and offered it to me, but it was when I lived on a boat so I had to say no :(.
    I would love one.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i thought this was going to be a thread about the 1986 pamphlet 'marvels of the kenwood chef' issued by english heritage and consisting of recipes from the archives first cooked in the kitchens at the iveagh bequest, kenwood, in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

TopCat, UrbaneFox and bimble like this.
  5. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I've just inherited a kenwood thing (from the boyfriend, who got himself a shinier even more complicated version). I have no idea what this machine is for to be honest and would be interested to hear how you get on. (different vintage to yours though).
    It fills 4 separate shopping bags with its many mysterious attachments, none of which I have a clue how to decipher. Haven't even unpacked it yet because its intimidating.

IMG_4293.JPG
    :confused::confused:

6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

James May did an episode of The Reassembler about it. Surprisingly interesting :)

A380 likes this.
  7. ChrisD

ChrisD .

yes. we also have a local repair person who can mend anything to do with ours (which looks similar vintage to yours). I keep meaning to find out if the new model liquidiser fits in the old liquidiser slot.... we have lots of things to attach which we picked up cheap but have never used. worth getting a second bowl (stainless steel ones are good). I can made a victoria sponge blindfold - just tip the stuff in and turn it on.

8. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

My mum had one which looked very much like yours (although I doubt the basic design has changed in years)

I remember a mincer attached to the front and a liquidiser on the top at the back. I know there were lots of other potential attachments but I don't think Mum ever had them.

I think my niece has it now and it's probably older than she is.

9. TruXta

TruXta tired

Looks like a dough hook, whisk and a more generic k-hook.

bimble likes this.
  10. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

My mum's must be of around that vintage. She keeps trying to palm it off on me, but I don't have the room. Or the need.

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I've got my mum's - dating from about the same vintage.

Not sure what attachments are with it, as it gets used very rarely.
    Primarily because it is quite noisy.

Let me have a think ...
    Whisk and k-beater, but not the dough hook.
    Liquidiser (which makes smashing soups)

also mum would use the spud scrubber ! (and that was the loudest use, and you still had to de-eye them - even shapes worked best, IIRC)

12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

So teucher found one of these & the first thing he tried to do was a souffle, which i'm not even sure how to spell.

Anyone up for suggesting a good beginners easy thing to make that might form a friendly bond between a person and their first mixer machine?
    Bread maybe?

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

a mess.

next.

Badgers likes this.
  14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

15. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

snap! buscador has her mothers one - same model - and we use it frequently.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  16. teuchter

Well, my initial question on acquiring it was "what savoury things can we make with this then" and souffle was one of the suggestions.

The souffle was very approximately to this recipe

Bacon, Potato, and Gruyère Soufflé

and although I anticipated failure it worked fine.

Bread is something I may consider attempting.

17. teuchter

How does that even work?

18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I'm considering letting you borrow my dough hook. The loughborough junction kenwood mixer club of sworn enemies.

UrbaneFox and Guineveretoo like this.
  19. friendofdorothy

I rather buggered up the blender attachment on buscador 's the glass jug is ok but the plastic bit at the bottom is broke - is it possible to get a new one that fits? or has anyone here got an old one they don't need?

20. friendofdorothy

but he has a dough hook - isn't that the attachment on the right?

21. bimble

bimble noisy but small

oh. I thought dough hooks were just a hook shape, like mine, teucheter's is a looped piece of metal ?

Guineveretoo likes this.
  22. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I have long wanted a kenwood chef and I am jealous of the OP :(

My mother always used to have one, and replaced the one that looked like yours a few years ago. I am not sure what she did with the old one, but the newer one is still at my father's house and I want it.

My mother used lots of the attachments - she had one which sliced beans and which also sliced peel for marmalade I recall. I wish I knew where that was, as I am making marmalade this weekend!

23. Guineveretoo

No - that is not a dough hook. It is a beater (as opposed to a whisk) :)

bimble likes this.
  24. friendofdorothy

no cake is the easiest thing.

These things are fab for beating eggs - fluffy whites, whisked to a peak, no problem.

bimble likes this.
  25. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What was it you wanted it for ? What were your imagined creations that this machine makes possible?

Guineveretoo likes this.
  26. friendofdorothy

to beat what? we have the one that looks like a K like this one - that we use for general beating

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

maybe in the 40+ years or so between teuchter's attachments and mine the dough hook has metamorphosed.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  28. Guineveretoo

That's what I thought we were talking about. Sorry. My bad.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  29. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I've got a Kenwood Chefette, which I've had since the late '70s. Its only attachment (apart from mixer and dough hooks) is a fairly good blender. Nowhere near a solidly built as the Chef, but still working perfectly.

friendofdorothy and Guineveretoo like this.
  30. Guineveretoo

I use a hand whisk a lot - I guess I figured I would use it instead of that.

I don't have a liquidiser any more - I guess I wanted that, too

I have never used a dough hook, but I like the idea of being able to do so

I want to use the bean slicer for slicing beans occasionally and for slicing orange peel once a year.

I pine for being a domestic goddess creating all kinds of goodnesses for the people around me.

I live alone with three cats.