Mark E Smith from the Fall has died

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by trashpony, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Didn't realise until today that the Glasgow gig I went to (my first Fall gig) was their last.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I did a count of my Fall albums earlier, and I have 20 of the 32 released (studio albums only), so still more to be found. They're well clear of Dylan as the most frequent entry in my racks.

3. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

This is what Brix says about him: 'A lot of people claimed to have known him, but they didn’t really know him. I fucking knew him. He was my husband, and deep down he was a door-opening, bag-carrying, sweet gentlemen.' That's the impression I formed on the one occasion I met him, as briefly described on P3 of this thread. I'd also seen him knocking about Manchester on other occasions over the years without ever having the opportunity to speak to him, and he was never anything other than just another bloke in the pub or wandering the streets. He definitely lacked the capability, in both his younger years and particularly afterwards, to be anything else, especially around the pubs of Oldham Street and places like the Crown and Cushion (he seemed to have a liking for Holt's bitter) down by Victoria Station, or even the relatively staid pubs of Prestwich and Whitefield. I think the famous bullying, and the legendary acidic personality were reserved for journalists-and even then only sometimes-and those he knew needed him in some way.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

I was re-reading Brix's book last night, and whilst she understandably wants to pay tribute at this time in a civilised and pleasant way, her book has a much more nuanced profile of him.

5. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

yeah - all the mardyness, aggro and pisstaking seems to have reserved for the media, music biz people and band members. All the anecdotes from ordinary people who met seem to him have him being consistently friendly and generous.

6. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

He wasn't exactly an easy person when I met him. As I said, he veered between being as likeable as the next person and a bit trying. But I got the impression that he had the sense not to push it too far with a complete stranger.

7. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Thinking back to that night though, I remember wandering out thinking, 'Fucking hell, I've just been drinking with Mark E. Smith, what a story...' and getting on a near-empty 82 bus. Being familiar with a number of Ukrainians and Russians, I thought the driver was probably Ukrainian. When I asked him, he told me he was Hungarian, but going up Oldham Road in my addled state I forgot this and carried on talking to him about places I'd visited and people I met in Russia and Ukraine. I think he was glad when I reached my stop.

I suppose that all that could have formed the basis of a Fall song. Or maybe not.

Celyn likes this.
  8. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Oh well, you'll need to make the song yourself. :)

9. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I've just been recommended the The Complete Peel Sessions by my proper-Fall-fan mate. As I lack much Fall stuff at home (OK, hardly any :oops: except for bits on falling apart old tapes**) this seems like a good plan? And I vaguely remember one or two early sessions from listening to Peel myself a zillion years ago.

**Possibly appropriate :p

Do Urban Fall people agree that as 'best-ofs' go, this Peel Sessions album might be the best? :confused:

10. William of Walworth

Just posted on the '3 positives' thread :

I started to read this yesterday, having had it lying around for ages :oops: -- I've already got beyond page 70 now.

11. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

It's a great set but perhaps not the best place to start. You might want to try 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong first.

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. William of Walworth

Thanks for that! There did seem to be a LOT of tracks on the Peel one, so yes, maybe delay that for now.

13. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I'd also recommend this, William of Walworth . Despite having dozens of Fall albums, I bought this set when it came out because I wanted a "best of" collection to frighten the neighbours with.

I also wanted this: The Fall - Singles 1978-2016: Deluxe 7CD Box Set - Cherry Red Records But I couldn't justify the expense when it was released. It comes right up to date.

Or you could go for the A-sides only version: The Fall - A-Sides 1978-2016: Deluxe 3CD Box Set - Cherry Red Records

Both are out of stock at Cherry Red, but several well-known online retailers still have stock.

mojo pixy likes this.
  14. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

15. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Now, every ex member can get back together and release a final tribute album. sixty-odd musicians, ought to be entertaining :D

16. danny la rouge

I was briefly in the Fall, as well as at the Sex Pistols' Free Trade Hall gig.

17. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I played in the fall at the sex pistols free trade hall gig.

18. danny la rouge

I remember; you were on bongos.

19. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

A few years ago, a mate of mine, and a huge Fall fan, was struggling down the street in Cambridge and dropped his shopping. A stranger rushed over and helped him pick it up. When my mate said thanks, the stranger said, "You're a long way from home, scouse!"

It was Mark E. Smith.

20. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

It was at the Lesser Free Trade Hall (round the back) not the (much larger) Free Trade Hall. I should know, I was the soundman that night.

William of Walworth likes this.
  21. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

He would help granny across the road to the bongo shop.

22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

23. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

The Wire have put a bunch of their articles on The Fall online for free:

Includes a great primer by Stewart Lee and MES' "invisible jukebox" feature in which they play him records without saying what they are and get a reaction...

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  24. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

William of Walworth

For an intro, I'd just get a few albums from the 80's when Brix was in them. They were at their most accessible then (by and large) and if you're going to like The Fall, you'll like them. The run that goes 'Perverted By Language' - 'The Wonderful And Frightening World Of ...' - 'This Nation's Saving Grace' - 'Bend Sinister' is just great. There's loads more to go at after that, obviously, but that's where I started. The Peel Sessions is great for a view of pretty much the whole career but you want to hear the originals first. Having said that, the Peel Session around 'Saving Grace' time managed to get them on a particularly ferocious day. I can remember having the tape of 'Spoilt Victorian Childe' off that and listened to it to death.

William of Walworth likes this.
  25. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I’d say Infotainment Scan, Extricate and Middle Class Revolt are their most accessible although they’re not particularly representative.

My first one was Hex Enduction Hour.

26. big eejit

big eejit She looks like Alan Gilzean

Email arrives...

'We regret to inform you that THE FALL PRESENTED BY DICTIONARY PUDDING
    at Fiddlers Club, Bristol on 29/11/2017 has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.'

Fair enough.

27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

G'damn it. I had a copy for frenz experiment in my discogs shopping basket for £8 before all this happened. I wish I had just gotten on with the checkout instead of waiting to sell something else so I had the pay pal funds. Some of them are going for over £60 now. Bonkers.

28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Listening to that this afternoon. That session is fucking great.

Voley likes this.
  29. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

This is today's little gem:

petee likes this.
  30. William of Walworth

Thanks for all the help folks. Will follow up at least some of the suggestions :)