Mark E Smith from the Fall has died

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by trashpony, Jan 24, 2018.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge arbiter of taste and expert in all things right

IMG_2458.jpg

Right: Mark E Smith
    Left: Mick Hucknall

Maggot and Sprocket. like this.
  2. Favelado

Favelado Oh you've got green eyes.

They might not be to your taste, but how were The Smiths crap? Shit lyrics? Shit tunes? No musical talent?

3. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

Shit lyrics. Tunes and talent, but shit lyrics.

4. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

I think that wilson - with his ability to get underground/left field bands onto granada TV - plus factory record may have been the catalyst for it - even for bands that were not on factory records. They carved a space for alternative music, they created a need, demonstrated that it how it could be - and should be - done. Budding promoters, artists, impresarios, venues and alienated young people in search of a music culture of their own took notice and (re)acted accordingly.

5. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Rabid Records was the main original punk era label (apart from New Hormones), Martin Hannett/Zero was a producer with them too.

6. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

LOL.

ed marimba and handy1 like this.
  7. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

He still turned up for it though. Might've been the free beer.

8. petee

petee i'm spartacus

:eek: i never knew they were from around there

9. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

Yeah, Prestwich & Salford 7 - same as The Fall. And Elbow.

10. Patteran

MES might have been scathing about the Hacienda as a scene, but he certainly utilised it as a venue - I saw them four or five times there across the mid to late 80s without really trying.

It's worth mentioning that although the working class talent plus physical & media infrastructure plus middle class patronage worked wonders for indie bands (for want of a better descriptor), Mcr city centre promoters remained mostly hostile to black music & its audience. Luminaries Barry Adamson & Gerald both moved away - Gerald explicitly because of the difficulty of promoting black music in city centre venues.

ETA - it's only really in the past five years or so that this has changed. Hit & Run, Levelz et al have done sterling work generating a scene using surplus venues in the Northern Quarter or dragging audiences out to Antwerp Mansion in Rusholme. Mcr now has a thriving grime/dnb scene with a big national & international reputation.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    elbows and The39thStep like this.
  11. ed marimba

ed marimba Well-Known Member

If such an artist can pass virtually unremarked, pigeon-holed as some kind of irrelevant maverick, then it is an even sadder moment than I imagined.I only hope that the perspective of time will help people to realise the contribution made by Mark E Smith, this guy was one of the greats of music.
    Here in 2007, well past his peak he could still inspire his band to a level I don't see the likes of Coldplay matching anytime soon

12. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Unremarked? Someone linked to a thread that you’re wilfully ignoring.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*threads merged

14. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Interesting insight re Mcr City promoters,I can remember Playpen, Hacienda Fridays, The Gallery, Konspiracy as black music clubs. I was more of a PSV , Moss Side Black Arts, Reno, International 1 and 2, Chorlton Irish Club, Swinging Sporan, Band on the Wall , Rafters /Jillys Rockworld type . Used to go to anything to do with The Sound Of North Hulme .Was a bit lazy so always prefered to hang around South Manchester or some where in Town that you could get home or halfway home from.Can remember seeing Public Enemy and Derek B at Ardwick , On U Sound at Manchester University and Adrian Sherwood at The Ritz.

Patteran and Voley like this.
  15. handy1

handy1 A certain Man U fan ; )

Never a fan, sorry he died. Many going on about him being a genius? Must be on about his music because in that interview i just watched, the refugee one, he seems a bog standard, knuckle-dragging E.D.L-er.

16. ed marimba

I am not wilfully ignoring anything except maybe the arcane etiquette of an internet forum. My wish is to mark the the passing of a great artist. The work of Mark E Smith needs to be celebrated and remembered, that is what matters, fuck the bollocks

17. abstract1

abstract1 shitting miracles

Magnus McGinty is a bit of a bollock tbf - aren’t you Magnus? x

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  18. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Well lets have a discussion about his politics then. Just because imo someone who queries immigration doesnt make them either bog standard or a knuckle dragger or EDL.

Maggot likes this.
  19. handy1

He didn't" querie " immigration, he was on the Sun/Mail offensive. You go first. I don't pretend to know about his politics.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  20. Patteran

Big name gigs were alright, but was made very difficult for Mcr artists & djs with black audiences to get their own nights on. Gerald essentially invented drum & bass, but couldn't get a gig in town. The door wars & James Anderton closed dozens of venues - many on your list were gone by the early 90s.

(I was at that PE gig at the Apollo, saw Cameo there, too - & ended up living in the new houses built on top of PSV)

21. ed marimba

No I am not this person I never heard of. I am an admirer of the work of Mark E Smith, an artist I regard as an outstanding cultural figure and whose passing I wish to respect. I believe he was an outstanding creative force and his time on this earth had great significance for me in many ways,personally and artistically . I am not interested in the slightest in any issues relating to personal vendettas on internet forums I am glad to say

22. abstract1

abstract1 shitting miracles

You quoted Magnus - my post quoted you but addressed Magnus - it was lighthearted ;)

23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I've read that in the 80s the Reno was the best black club and the Hacienda actively tried to poach their djs and encourage their crowd to come, or something like that. There was a connection between Reno and Gerald which I've forgot too. I don't have a reliable memory.
    ??

In terms of Manchester DnB I just want to flag up Marcus Intalex for his part in making that happen... Not just as producer but with his label and club nights. Not quite a derail as his recent death is a genuine massive loss to that scene.

Patteran likes this.
  24. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Was that the gig where they played a set for about 30 minutes then did about 15 encores? If so I was working at that & most of the staff at the T&C were off to a party afterwards & were well chuffed with the short set but not so with the number of encores. :D

25. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I've been following the thread but missed that video, which one was that?

26. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

27. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Post #130

handy1 likes this.
  28. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

It was a different night to that. That sounds very much like him though. Night I went Brix was back in them, briefly, and there were a couple of blokes down the front being a little over-amorous towards her. MES got eye contact with them both for about a minute and they both skulked off looking fucking terrified.

Eta: Can't have been around the time of Extricate if Brix was back, I've got that wrong. Must've been later. Infotainment Scam era, wiki reckons. Mid 90's.

29. handy1

I believe Tony Wilson tried to poach Coolie,Persian or both from The Reno. It was some place though, The Reno.

30. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy