March photo competition: Nightlife

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Robster970, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Robster970

Robster970 Pay homage to Global Bob

sent again to your email :confused:

2. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Cheers man, I have a habit of deleting my PMs all at once!

3. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

They're not stars. They're burnt out pixels on your sensor. It's quite common on long exposures... If they were stars, there would be movement on them as well! Good shots though! :)

4. Firky

What would make them burn out, and how do I check my camera for it? Just do a long exposure like that?

5. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

Well I don't know the technical reason why they burn out, but it's quite well known with long exposures... I'm pretty sure it's only with then and not permanent.

I'm sure someone will find a tech reason and correct me if I'm talking bollocks though. :D

Edit: Just found something here! It's about burnt out pixels but it's not referring to long exposures/night shots!

"I suspect that the effect comes about when point sources of light saturate individual sensor pixels and the bayer interpretation software just can't handle it - or something like that :)"

6. Robster970

you know it's still saying your box is full ????

7. Firky

Yeah? Tits! It doesn't matter, someone emailed me the details :)

8. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

Actually they seem to be referred to as "hot" pixels and there's a bit more info on this forum.

"I think the reason it's called a "hot" pixel is because the CCD heats up too much during the length of the exposure causing certain pixels to get stuck on a certain colour."

Sounds reasonable if not acceptable!

9. Firky

Hhmm, I was wondering why it doesn't appear on his other photos - if it is a software thing then I guess a firmware flash would sort it :)

10. Robster970

you knob - that was me :rolleyes:

11. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

It's a hardware thing. Garf's other shots are all smaller and I'd guess that's why you can't see it in the resized (smaller) .jpg he posted above the huge version! (Molto colour info goes missing when you downsize a jpeg doesn't it!)

Circumstances. At least it sort of demonstrates it's not fatal to camera sensors... :cool:

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's a bit like how you get dead pixels on LCD monitors. A few transistors are bound to go wrong. It's not caused by anything like overheating AFAIK - it's just an unavoidable fact that some of them stop working.

You can test for 'em by taking a shot (long exposure? edit: no, 1/160ish at ISO1600) with the lens cap on.

You can get rid of 'em by remapping the sensor. This is a function on Olympus cameras - even the shit P&Ses - but not on Canon or Nikons, which require warranty service.

13. disco_dave_2000

disco_dave_2000 la la lapland

here is my entry

Gimp night

taken on T-MAX3200, scanned and then upped the grain and tweaked the curves via Photoshop

14. thefuse

thefuse New Member

scary :eek:

a la dead man shoes

15. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

Late entries:

All taken with a handheld Nikon Coolpix2000, levels adjusted automatically via Photoshop.

16. thefuse

thefuse New Member

i like that no1. :)

17. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

hey, cheeky boy, try this, straight outta da camera, should have entered it but couldn't find it, exposed the ruins using my flash and setting it of manually several times running around in different positions to eliminate shadows ( or in this case introducing multiple shadows from different directions)

:D ;)

18. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

who you callin boy! :mad:

fair play to ya.

19. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

:p

contrary to what riotsky said I think there are some cracking entries, different but still good stuff.

20. Firky

Still good, just not as good methinks :p

Bump! I'll update the thumbnails tonight when all the entries are in... last day to enter etc.

21. Crabalocker

Crabalocker New Member

22. Firky

Long time reader first time poster before anyone asks.

I have no problem with you entering the comp' despite you never posting on, I don't think you can enter if you haven't contributed to the forums before - correct me if I am wrong? LTRFTP or not :(

Any objections? I'm OK with him entering as he did register in 2005...

23. what

what Well-Known Member

24. Firky

25. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

Nice work on the thumbnails, thanks :)

26. Firky

1] Old skool - Ninjaboy
    2] moon - blackadder
    3] Entry 3 - Snadge

27. blackadder

blackadder I knew a girl named Nikki

1st tron - danski
    2nd Boom! - Riot Sky
    3rd ambience - mauvais mangue

Very little to choose between the 3, Tron won it for me because of the film I think.

28. mauvais

There are no rules about having needed to have posted first. I didn't agree with banning the last guy from entering, but that was more dodgy. I think we should let them enter. Just my own opinion...

29. Firky

He did register in 2005, so I`ll let him in, yeah?

30. mauvais

Aye, I reckon. Got to start somewhere...

I'll vote tomorrow when I'm less knackered.