Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March 2019 Photo Thread

weltweit

Hi RoyReed yes, I am struggling a bit with tones and the like, whenever I am there I think, wow what a pano, but when I make the image up later it disappoints. I like your tweaks, eta how did you tweak the foreground?

RoyReed

Must fly!
Hi RoyReed yes, I am struggling a bit with tones and the like, whenever I am there I think, wow what a pano, but when I make the image up later it disappoints. I like your tweaks, eta how did you tweak the foreground?
I did two separate tweaks, first using a graduated mask to just leave the sky which I darkened by about 5% overall and then darkened the shadows and mid tones and lifted the highlights. I then reversed the mask so that just the foreground was showing and darkened the shadows and lifted the midtones. I also gave it a warm tone using a platinum toning filter, but that was just messing around. Same would apply to straight b&w.

It's pretty similar to how I'd have printed it in a darkroom in the old days. Use a higher contrast grade of paper (up from 2 to 3), burn in the sky and hold back the foreground slightly.

weltweit

RoyReed thanks for your explanation, I will have another play with it. In another place I have had complaints that the river disappears in the middle of the image, can't please some people :)

The original panorama is very flat (from the raws) so there is plenty of room for manipulation.

Mr.Bishie

Pickled Egg
Funeral For Life on Earth: Extinction Rebellion Brighton
Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-7.jpg
Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-1.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-17.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-20.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-28.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-33.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-35.jpg

I was in fucking bits photographing this. Such a poignant demo. Not only due to the fact we're careering into a catastrophic climate disaster for our younger generation, but the piper piping was Anna Campbell's dad!! Massive respect to ER!

Brexit? A microcosmic pimple.

Last edited: