March 2019 Photo Thread

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Mar 6, 2019.

1. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Very nice black and white Roy.

Another black and white - view of a river (pano click to see full size)
    DSC_8293_stitchw1-bw.jpg

3. weltweit

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I think you need to play around with the tones a bit to get some more detail in the sky and maybe a little lift to the midtones in the foreground - nice landscape.

weltweit-platinum.jpg

Ponyutd, clicker and neonwilderness like this.
  5. weltweit

Hi RoyReed yes, I am struggling a bit with tones and the like, whenever I am there I think, wow what a pano, but when I make the image up later it disappoints. I like your tweaks, eta how did you tweak the foreground?

6. editor

editor Forked with electrons

7. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I did two separate tweaks, first using a graduated mask to just leave the sky which I darkened by about 5% overall and then darkened the shadows and mid tones and lifted the highlights. I then reversed the mask so that just the foreground was showing and darkened the shadows and lifted the midtones. I also gave it a warm tone using a platinum toning filter, but that was just messing around. Same would apply to straight b&w.

It's pretty similar to how I'd have printed it in a darkroom in the old days. Use a higher contrast grade of paper (up from 2 to 3), burn in the sky and hold back the foreground slightly.

8. weltweit

RoyReed thanks for your explanation, I will have another play with it. In another place I have had complaints that the river disappears in the middle of the image, can't please some people :)

The original panorama is very flat (from the raws) so there is plenty of room for manipulation.

9. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

10. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

11. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

Funeral For Life on Earth: Extinction Rebellion Brighton
    Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-7.jpg
    Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-1.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-17.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-20.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-28.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-33.jpg Extinction_Rebellion_Brighton_UK_ 24.03.2019-35.jpg

I was in fucking bits photographing this. Such a poignant demo. Not only due to the fact we're careering into a catastrophic climate disaster for our younger generation, but the piper piping was Anna Campbell's dad!! Massive respect to ER!

Brexit? A microcosmic pimple.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  12. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

100wood.p.jpg

clicker and weltweit like this.
  13. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

14. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

15. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?