1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maoists in Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

stethoscope and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Do see this (pdf - only one page though). I like the Communist league 1975 - Bland.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Greebo likes this.
  4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

"splitters"

krink, Gramsci and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  5. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Much to be said for Stockports key role in launching the Revolutionary Internationalist Contingent 1984 later Revolutionary Communist Maoists (MLM)

6. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Gramsci likes this.
  8. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

i think what brixton needs is some Maoism. i might restart this organisation.

Brixton Hatter and xslavearcx like this.
  9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

On google maps 140 Acre lane is on the corner of Solon road and Acre lane. Interesting they were not squatting but had a lease.

I do remember there used to be what I think were Maoists holding demos to support the "Shining Path" guerillas in Peru.

My Chinese friend says here parents generation do not talk about what happened during the Cultural Revolution.

10. Gramsci

Looks like it from the doorway. Will have a look next time I cycle by.

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Oh yeah, now you mention it that does look right.

Gramsci likes this.
  12. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Be careful what you wish for. Maoist retro chic is soooooo fashion-forward these days. you might end up with a nightmare commune of h*psters who just love the iconography, man. And find black pyjama suits enviably minimalist.

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  13. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

That's what I'm hoping for. Then I'll Cultural Revolution the living fuck out of them.

S☼I, Lucy Fur, marty21 and 6 others like this.
  14. Orang Utan

Grub ogiveszfohh8£ thou (86

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Xi Jingping visited one of Mao's former residences the other day and there were a fair few 'Mao Zedong Thought lives on forever in the people's hearts' in the online comments to that I noticed.

16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Wasn't there some sort of Che Guevara mural on the (rounded) corner of the building. Seem to distantly recall. Surely there must be a pic somewhere?

Gramsci likes this.
  17. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

That's easy for you to say.

18. Orang Utan

Sorry, my phone is possessed and keeps trying to summon up the Deep Ones

Puddy_Tat and Manter like this.
  19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

So how much grub do you get for thousands 86?

20. Orang Utan

An Unnamable Abundance Of Squamous and Noisome Morsels

wiskey, Mation, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.
  21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

gratuitous cat cartoon

[​IMG]

(B Kliban)

(and waves hello to Orang Utan - not noticed you round these parts for a while)

Gramsci likes this.
  22. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

some of your best work....

William of Walworth likes this.
  23. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

BTW Getty Images are very litigious about using their images probably best to take it down before they find it.
    http://meronbareket.com/getty-images-demand/

24. Gramsci

As I have Chinese friend I have read up more on recent Chinese history.

Mao attempted through mass mobilization to match the Soviet Union in development of agriculture and industry. The "Great Leap Forward". Mao thought that Soviet Union had not progressed to full communism. That China through mobilizing the masses could move to full communism in a matter of years. Maoism was born from years of hard times fighting against the Nationalist forces. When the Communists won and drove the Nationalist to Taiwan these communist were hardened revolutionaries.

The Great Leap Forward was a disaster. Not due to the authoritarian methods but the economic failings for the plan. Peasants were forced from growing crops to building useless large scale projects like dams. That were badly designed and mainly useless.

This caused widespread starvation. Mao almost lost power.

Mao was not an "emporer" but a moderniser of Chinese society. Even if he failed in many area. China is mainly secular and woman have more independence now. For better or worse Maoism left a mark on Chinese society. Even now. The Chinese communist party, still has a few survivors of Mao rule, have used capitalist methods under there control to modernise China. But there are similarities to Maoism.

My Chinese friend grew up in a city built ( her words) by her parents generation. 30 years ago it did not exist. Now its bigger than London. She said people came from all over China to build her city. They speak a form of Mandarin / Cantonese. She does not think liberal democracy will work in China. But growing inequality and the anomie her generation feel is an issue according to her.

Maoism now is not so much a modernizing ideology but a defensive one. The Maoist insurgency in India- the Naxalites- defend indigenous people against big corporations.

So mobilizing the masses to raise peoples living standards, the use of force through party cadres rather than an independent state legal system ( the rule of law) and a goal to reach for are still in our chaotic capitalist world not to be just dismissed.

UnderAnOpenSky and Casually Red like this.
  25. Gramsci

26. Gramsci

Trying to work out what Three World Theory is. Seems like it was controversial in Marxist circles. As says Soviet Union is (was) First world and imperialist power.

So put forward in 70s.

Casually Red likes this.
  27. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Well-Known Member

According to this, they were the model for the Citizen Smith and the Tooting Popular Front. They had contested the Lambeth Central by-election in April 1978 as the "South London Peoples Front" and got 38 votes. Interesting who the other candidates were, including Corin Redgrave.

28. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

I'll say! Up to 45million people lost their lives through this widespread starvation. (Lowest estimate 18m, three times the Holocaust).

29. Orang Utan

For a better cause though :p

30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Blimey, I'll swap it for a link then since it's not exactly that important.