1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mango Landin bar in Brixton (formerly the Hope/Babushka)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 21, 2014.

1. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

It is part of an anti-fracking campaign sign that mysteriously appeared before the bar closed.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Are you sure? In their way "The Queen" flats are somewhat more radical
    [​IMG]

3. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I've been surprise to find the building that replaced Redmayne house much better looking than I expected. Probably because it is not too out of scale with what was there before unlike the buildings at the Quadrant in Stockwell Green which seem to be unsympathetic to the area.

The real test will be what they look like in 30 years - however with them being lived in by their owners, it means those people will have to deal with how the property ages.

4. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Yeah pretty sure my subjective opinion is infallible ;)

Rushy and CH1 like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's a horrible building.

Winot and Thimble Queen like this.
  6. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I quite like it. It's half block of flats, half ski ramp. Although to be fair I'd prefer the pub was still there

boohoo likes this.
  7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Has the ground floor ever really been used?

8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think it's all about context. Where it is this building clashes violently with its surroundings. I can think of other locations (middle of Southbank Poly for example) where it would simply pleasantly modulate the prevailing modernity.

How you tell? Its always been plastered with posters for computer training etc such that it is impossible to see in. The ground floor entrance suggests one of those shops where "everything must go" at a casual glance.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it's now offering a similar sort of private 'extra learning centre' as seen in Brixton Square, but there's so many tacky posters covering the windows it's hard to work out if anyone is using them.

10. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I quite like that building too - it looks like the architect spent a little time thinking about it - don't like the brown though.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's certainly a step up from the bland stuff being knocked out by Lexadon & Co, but I would suggest that the developers didn't think very hard about what would go in the ground floor - that unit just provided the passport to the £££s from the flats above.

sdel.jpg

Tacky, tacky, tacky!

Winot and CH1 like this.
  12. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Touch of Le Corbusier?

13. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I agree(d)!

leanderman likes this.
  14. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

It looks snooty. Like it's turning its nose up at everyone.

editor likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It just looks like it's in the wrong place to me. I wouldn't gamble on it ageing too well either. For all its style, I'm sensing it's something of a cheapo build.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Apropos of nothing....when I first moved to London I used to work in that pub when it was a proper pub. I can't remember what it was called.
    How the times they are a-changin.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I remember it as Babushka, but I think it might have been called the Hope.

*edited

19. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I don't think it was the Crown but it might have been. It was before it became Babushka. I really can't remember but it was a traditional old style pub name. They used to have lock ins and some South London gangsters hung out there. Richardsons?

One of them offered to take me out for the night and he assured me that "nothing will happen unless you want it to". Made my skin crawl.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

See my hasty edit! I think it was the Hope.

*Edit, yes it was!

21. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

The Hope!! that was it! :)

editor likes this.
  22. CharlyBigPotato

CharlyBigPotato New Member

Hope1.jpg Hope5.jpg Hope6.jpg Hope9.jpg Hope10.jpg Yes it was called The Hope.

Hello Folks

I used to live there as a small child when my Father ran it back in the 70's (75/77ish). My earliest memories were of there, and I was sad to see it go. It was quite an ugly building in all honesty, but I have fond memories of it. It had a big mural of a ship on the wall, which as a four-year old thought was stunning. I think ships had something to do with the name of the pub, as they always seemed to hold fancy-dress parties where they dressed up as pirates (or maybe they just had one fancy dress party where they all dressed as pirates). It was a real community pub.

As I said my parents ran it mid 70's (Bill & Priya) and it was taken over after that by a couple called Peggy and Gordon. Peggy, for some reason always reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor. Gordon died whilst still the resident landlord and she moved away in the 80's sometime.

I doubt if there are still anyone around who remembers it or used to drink there, way back when, though I have some photos for those that might be interested.

Attached Files:

CH1, Eggby, Nanker Phelge and 20 others like this.
  23. Paulie

Paulie Well-Known Member

Between the Hope and Babushka, it was a ravey squat. I had nights there but strangely with no recollection...

pesh, editor, Blagsta and 1 other person like this.
  24. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I can remember going in after Jday and there was still beer on tap :cool:
    For about a minute I thought it had it had just changed owners and then recognised the DJs and crew.

pesh and Blagsta like this.
  25. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I went to a party there when it was squatted, around the time I first moved to Brixton. After the legalise cannabis festival in Brockwell Park iirc, must have been 2003?

26. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

((((PubswithElizabethTaylorlandladys))))

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I have the vaguest of recollections of going there too!

28. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

2004 i think, stopped off at that party on the way to a big outdoor one that night. remember it being an incredible weekend from start to finish.

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

We lived opposite overlooking the back garden from 2002-4 during which time it was squatted and then became Babushka I think... there were clearly some good parties happening there at the time.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eggby, clandestino and Nanker Phelge like this.