Manganese Bronze (black cab manufacturer) goes into administration

Discussion in 'transport' started by sim667, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

So it seems they've been struggling for a while now, their TX4 model had to have 400 of them recalled over a steering problem, their shares were suspended, and now administrators have been called in.

Could this be the end for the Icon of cab vehicles?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20031436

I for one would be very sad to see these replaced by the peugots that every minicab driver in the UK adores (406 i think)

2. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Broken Britain :facepalm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I think they are part owned by a Chinese company. But anyhow, bit of a limited market.

4. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Its gonna happen.

5. dooley

dooley Well-Known Member

how the fuck can they have something as iconic as the black cab and still fuck it up?

High Voltage likes this.
  6. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

That is bad news. The black cab in all its incarnations has been a symbol for London, although they turn up all over the country nowadays. It will be years before the existing ones wear out though so the change will be slow. Perhaps another company can produce a design for a replacement.

If I had a black cab it would be red. If you can have red bluejeans then you can have a red blackcab.

7. telbert

It'll be quicker than you think.400 cabs off the road now,another 700-800 by the end of the year and a similar amount every year to come(due to the 15 year rule).M.B. Holdings have been losing bundles of money for a few years now and with the likes of Mercedes already established in the cab trade and Peugot /V.W. and others waiting for the right opportunity i dont think anyones going to want to invest an enormous amount of cash(cos thats what it needs right now) into M.B.
    I think this is the beginning of the end for the "iconic"black cab.

8. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

We should do it like New York.

From next year they will have adapted NV200 Nissans to replace the traditional Ford Crown Victorias. Still uniform and distinctive, unlike the random assortment we'll get over here.

9. telbert

Do you know how long did it take the relevant authorities to get this organised

10. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

What about the cabbies? Will they phase out the garrulous cockney wankers and introduce blander, inoffensive models?

Bahnhof Strasse and dooley like this.
  11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

In some ways the traditional black cab had an artificially extended life span.

It was just about the only vehicle that met the carriage office regs about turning circle. Alot of drivers hated them. Heavy, slow.

Then the Mercedes Vito got an 3rd party adaptation - rear wheel steering. It could make that u-Turn. The inside of one is amazingly spacious. Not that, for most journeys, that's important. The TX models had modernised a little bit in recent years but it seemed like too little too late.

I do like the tradition of the old design, but something else better appeared. :(

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

er... er...

the traditional new york taxi isn't the crown victoria but the checker taxis

[​IMG]

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

just as two bus routes retain the routemaster, every cab you ever take will be filled with the bitterest, most bilious cockney wanker in london or the home counties. and they'll take you round the houses and charge you double.

and, what's perhaps surprising, you'll pay it.

TopCat, Bahnhof Strasse and salem like this.
  14. telbert

This is so fucking true.For years the P.C.O have been in the position to tell licensed drivers what vehicle they could use and .M.B. got lazy and fucking greedy. No R&D investment. Use our product or fuck off.Too heavy,too juicey, too fucking expensive.They spend as much time up on the ramps as they did on the road.
    And as for the turning circle,you'd be lucking if you can find a place to do a fucking u-turn in london.

TopCat likes this.
  15. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Tis true though, they are iconic - black cabs.

Will cabs always be black? but could they be Mercs as they often are on the continent.

How will those with the knowledge differentiate themselves from those without?

16. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

You can u-turn anywhere in London. Dunno what you're on about, it's virtually an official passtime.

17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

"black cabs" in London haven't had to be black since (from memory) the 70s.

I think the PCO should never have allowed the 'bunny ears' to be done away with

[​IMG]

18. telbert

19. telbert

Dont talk nonsense.There's plenty of no u turns(too many) in London

20. telbert

I think the colour change came in the late 80's but even though i've enquired on several occasions, nobody seems to know the exact date.:hmm:

21. Puddy_Tat

Ah. Not a licensing requirement, just practicality

from the London Vintage Taxi Association website

and now I come to think of it, multi coloured taxis in London 1949 - here as the embed seems to be buggered

[​IMG]

from The Music Hall and Theatre History Website

All over advertising was prohibited until some time round the late 80s though.

22. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

Geely own them IIRC - the Chinese economy is waning badly

I love the idea of Black cabs and when Im working, Ill get an old one for the lols and transporting my shit around - but as a mode of transport, they are fuckin terrible for the punter for anything over about half a mile.

23. telbert

This may sound unbelievable but up until about a year ago (the last time i checked),for short journeys in town they could be cheaper than the pre- booked cars from Addison Lee.

24. telbert

Now i think about it(as pissed as i am) when i got out, my mate bought a A reg fx3 that was grey and i think his brother had a burgandy one from the same year.

25. not-bono-ever

IM sure - I have spent seemingly years of my life taking BC home as I was working late (expenses ) - If I was mildly pissed, the ride and seating was terrible . If I was sober, I just hung onto the straps.

26. telbert

And iv'e spent the last twelve years driving one.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  27. Puddy_Tat

(pedantic mode on)

if it was A reg, it would have been an FX4 - they were built from 1958 on

:( at my lack of income / secure parking - I'd like an FX4 as a pet, and if I leave it much longer they are going to get absurdly expensive the way Routemasters did after they stopped running in service...

not-bono-ever likes this.
  28. telbert

You know i think it was an fx4.It had external hinges on the rear doors.

29. not-bono-ever

aha!

I have driven one - back in the day - and it was good fun, if a little claustrophobic.BY all accounts , Back in the '90s, Newcastle offered a new hack licence to anyone who had the licence ( like 2 days revision apparently ) and was could show they had ordered a new BC- so my mate piled in and got one - I suppsoe to regenerate/ organise the fleet. Obviously there was no little kicking off by the older cabbies when this happened.

20 years on, there barely a BC to be seen now - all Mercs IIRC

30. Puddy_Tat

FX3 cabs had external hinges

[​IMG]

I think there was a variant with a nearside front door

telbert likes this.