Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

2. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Badgers likes this.
  3. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

What's the situation with the Portugese National manager? Maybe he thinks it's time he took on that one?

4. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Jose doesn't seem to enjoy it any more.

Wouldn't be surprised if he walked away. From United, and the game, soon.

mx wcfc and Wilf like this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

He will hang in and hope to get fired for his big payout

sealion, mx wcfc, Wilf and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

we're in the wrong jobs, badgers :(

sealion, mx wcfc, Wilf and 1 other person like this.
  7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I could turn that miserable squad around :mad:

sealion, tommers, Wilf and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wilf

Today's high pressure game needs a younger sociopath.

sealion and Pickman's model like this.
  9. Pickman's model

just so, and with you in the role of auld moany and me doing the other job we'd have them winning before you could say do svedanya

Badgers likes this.
  10. Wilf

... I'd do my teamtalk with Roy Keane wheeled in Hannibal Lecter style to keep their minds focused.

11. Wilf

I was always one to slightly underestimate Alex Ferguson's achievements. Always acknowledged he was a great manager, won masses of trophies, found ways to win etc. The bit I got wrong was thinking 'yeah, he had a massive trophy haul, but a couple of recent Barca and Madrid managers have done better than him over say a 3 year period. Fergie only got that many cos he stayed for so long'. That was a bit daft really, the staying so long and putting up with the pressures, reinventing the team and their style was actually the most impressive thing. You can't say Mourhino hasn't been a great manager, and his version of greatness is doing it at different clubs. But in retrospect, staying put, coping with the ups and downs and constant pressure, recreating the squad and all that is the more impressive CV.

12. steveo87

steveo87 Procrastinating for....a while

13. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Hes a national legend after winning the Euros so I think it'll be more of case when he steps down rather than be sacked. Obviously the Portuguese squad is going to change with Pepe, Quatesma , Ronaldo all getting older and older along with Bruno and Fonte. There's some great Portuguese talent spread all over the world and if there is a criticism of Santos is that he's not great on experimenting with players breaking through abroad . Personally I don't think Mourinho is going anywhere just yet. United have a champions league to contend with and they'll challenge for a top four spot .

14. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

sealion and Badgers like this.
  15. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Ferguson's book on leadership is insightful and a good read. He certainly covers the whole problem of moving people on and creating new teams..

sealion, Badgers and Wilf like this.
  16. The39thStep

The thing that was really bizarre about the 'respect respect respect' outburst what that he was effectively saying 'Respect me because I won 3 titles managing your rivals ,

Badgers and Wilf like this.
  17. Wilf

When he (Mourhino) was on it, he had a great touch in terms of man management and creating little media storms (even if he was always a cunt). Never knew how much was instinctive and how much was calculating. It's certainly always been about him, something he showed in spades last night. Ferguson would have been every bit as grumpy and aggressive, but would never have looked so ridiculous. I think he's so arrogant and solipsistic that he can't conceive of another way of speaking to people. And what does this all do the club and, most of all, the players confidence?

sealion likes this.
  18. The39thStep

Uniteds fixture list for the next month doesn't look too demanding, a couple of wins on the bounce and all this will start to be forgotten.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You reckon?

Badgers likes this.
  20. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

There is a Man Utd pen on my desk at work, for some reason. I normally avoid it, but today, I picked it up without looking and tried to wrote something.

It seemed to work at first, something clicked. But then, as soon as any pressure was applied, the top blew off and the whole thing fell to pieces.

I'm fairly sure this a just a coincidence.

imposs1904, sealion, steveo87 and 4 others like this.
  21. The39thStep

Wolves might be tricky but if they beat them itll be 'city only got a draw' type euphoria

Badgers likes this.
  22. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Zlatan, in that he is a fantastic talent who would have graced any period of football but whose ego cannot accept the fact that someone is better than him.

sealion, Wilf and Badgers like this.
  23. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

He would probably get clinically diagnosed as a narcissist wouldn't he?

His reactions to personal criticisms are off the chart.

Badgers likes this.
  24. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

Agreed - in fact he may even be displaying some psychopathic tendencies.

I challenge anyone to watch Jose’s press conference after the Seville game and not get angry.

Rather than putting his hands up and saying he got it wrong he ranted about United’s “heritage”.

Fuck that - if I want a history lesson I’d go and buy a David Meek book.

Jose’s paid millions to make it better, not delve back into the past as a justification for abysmal performances.

His pre and post-match Spurs press conferences were equally embarrassing.

Yes - the media can be arseholes, but dealing with questions with a degree of dignity and common sense is the least that can be expected, especially as he has an army of PR people and press officers around him.

The press are only asking the questions that we as fans would ask, and want answered. If Jose can’t stand the heat etc etc.

Anyway, if he’s happy to slag off his players in front of the media he can hardly complain if the media give him a (relatively) hard time when things go wrong on the pitch.

I can take more or less anything. What I can’t stand is the club I love and have followed for almost 50 years being publicly embarrassed by the manager’s behaviour.

Favelado, Wilf, sealion and 1 other person like this.
  25. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Mourinho has turned things around, when he got there the fans were miserble and depressed, they are now depressed and miserable.

imposs1904, agricola, Epico and 6 others like this.
  26. Pickman's model

[​IMG]

steveo87, Wilf, Badgers and 1 other person like this.
  27. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Burnley away, Watford away and Wolves at home, they could lose at least one of them as they did at Brighton. Losing to Spurs and Man city might buy him some time, i doubt it will to lesser teams.

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  28. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

This. He has lost it. He's just looking for the pay off now.

much as I have sympathy for genuine United fans (actually, that's a lie) I can't help laughing. There's an "anyone but England" thread. Most of us are "Anyone but Man U". Sorry, drunken rant, but why would anyone give a shit about Man U being shit?

Badgers likes this.
  29. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

It was an unfortunate mistake - but looking at that I think that he wanted to say "inheritance" (herencia in Spanish), and got it confused with heritage, which makes the whole thing somewhat less injurious. Less of a slur on the club that way.

30. The39thStep

Watford have had a good start whether they can continue it is open to question. Wolves are a top ten side but lack experience at this level. Burnley aren't the Burnley of last year. He needs 7 points from those games to ease the pressure, 9 and he'll be smelling of roses.

sealion likes this.