Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. steveo87

steveo87 Procrastinating for....a while

I know, it's a right laugh.

Badgers likes this.
  2. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Don't build my hopes up! :mad:

Badgers likes this.
  3. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Every week 500,000 for Sanchez, think about that..... every week....

Badgers likes this.
  4. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I think the problem is is that supporters are divided about Mourinho so unless that changed Woodward looks relatively unscathed. There will be some money for transfers in the next window , the only thing to sort out is Mourinho accepting the resale value issue that the board have stuck to.
    I think United are in a good position brand wise , they are a world institution . The recent lack of any meaningful success doesn't seem to have affected that. Whether or not they are a world class institution is a different matter though.

sealion and Badgers like this.
  5. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yep.

Badgers likes this.
  6. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I think Mourinho is finished at United now. It's not working. Not enough anyway. It's just a matter of how and when. Which largely be determined by who. As in who next.

Like most I want to see attacking football with pace and width. But who can bring this to us right now?

I don't trust the board to get it right tbh.

Badgers and Wilf like this.
  7. The39thStep

The Board would be in a dilemna about a next manager. I think they are still stung by taking risks ie Moyes, yesterdays man types ie Van Gaal and big names/quick wins ie Mourinho. imo Zidane wouldnt bring any thing new to the party apart from being a big name, Laurent Blanc is available and I thnk his PSG stint was excellent, he would be a calming half way house .Simeone is brilliant if ugly but I cant see him faring well abroad and he'd need time. If Utd wanted to take a risk which they wont because they want to win something quickly then Jardin at Monaco or if he gets Leeds promoted Biesla. They wont though and if money talks then Pochettino if he could be prized away would be the most ideal candidate. I'd put a tenner on Blanc if Mourinho goes unexpectedly.

Wilf likes this.
  8. Wilf

It's strange to be talking about replacements after 2 games and the best position in the league for a while last year, but it does feel a bit like that now. There seems no plan to his moaning now, just being a wanker. Doesn't seem to be able to stop himself - this week would have been the perfect time for a bit of humility to almost reset the process with the fans, but he just can't do it. Don't think he will 'lose the dressing room', but he's probably well on the way to the players playing a mixture of (in sporting terms at least) depressed and scared.

sealion likes this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I bet Utd would like a Poch, Rafa or someone stable but they will struggle to get them. Blanc is a good bet but I reckon Zidane would be tough in the dressing room and a popular media/fan choice :hmm:

Pickman's model and The39thStep like this.
  10. The39thStep

Theres no way an ex Liverpool manager like Benitez is going to be considered at Man Utd

Badgers likes this.
  11. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Basically this is media driven. As usual they move as a pack. Last year it was Pogba. Then he won the World Cup so it switched to Mourinho. So when Pogba was poor against Brighton its the manger's fault. Mourinho wanted an experienced centre back - not Smalling. Rojo or Jones. But becoming first choice CB pairing has apparently fatally 'undermined the confidence' of Lindelof and Bailly. Except that the latter had a case for man of the match against Leicester just behind Shaw another player 'ruined' by Mourinho. Not being picked has destroyed Martial/Rashford/ while the fact of being selected has had the same effect on Bailly/Lindelof.

Lindelof I have my doubts about. But Bailly is one the best centre half in the league and was widely recognised as such, until it was remembered Mourinho bought him and it was decided he was now one of the worst. On the basis of one game, or maybe even one error. An analysis that chimes exactly with the Glazer/Woodward take on things. So Utd fans are being encouraged to line up behind the agenda of these (who in football terms are utter muppets).

Woodward wants a director of football. Yet he has openly derided the transfer targets ('no better than we have') set by the manager. So what to say the same won't happen with any particular director of football who would have even less clout?

Woodward is chief executive. It is he more than anyone who has presided over the 'summer of discontent'. He has meddled. And worse there is an element of hubris in the meddling. He now thinks its his role to second guess on transfers, and even worse brief the press about it. If Utd fans want to direct their ire at anyone at Utd it is at him it should be aimed. Happily, some of them at least intend to do exactly that.

PS. Incidentally the real culprits at Brighton were De Gea, Periera and Mata.

12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Six pointer Monday :thumbs:

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. Wilf

None of us know what goes on between Mourhino and the players in private, but do you get a sense there's a positive relationship, that the players are feeling the confidence of their manager? I know you have a good working knowledge of the club so that's, as they say, a genuine q. I just don't see what the point of his moaning and deflection is. He's not even creating an us (him and the players) against them (woodward and the hierarchy).

sealion and Badgers like this.
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Martial, Mata, Bailly and Pereira not even on bench.

15. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

At least he doesn't have a record of letting other talented young players go who proceed to make him look like an idiot.

AverageJoe, sealion and Badgers like this.
  16. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Sanchez a sub!

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  17. sealion

I can't see how the media can be blamed for uniteds woes. Jose does all his dirty washing in public, uses the media to get at players and the fans. His ego goes before him, he can't accept he yesterdays man so, will trash and wreck until he's payed off.

Badgers, Wilf and Pickman's model like this.
  18. agricola

He does, but if he does that again then surely Woodward has to go as well - I mean, yes he has managed to get United to have even more of themselves sponsored but in terms of the football his reign has been one expensive disaster followed by another even more expensive disaster. If he remains in post, by 2025 they'll probably have some planetoid in the solar system be designed Official Moon of Manchester United and will have thrown away the money that would be required to fly to it.

Badgers and sealion like this.
  19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

Hope it's a one pointer :thumbs:

Badgers and sealion like this.
  20. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

#moyesin

Badgers, Pickman's model and Hollis like this.
  21. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Big Sam is tucking into his Fray Bentos, his phone next to him, volume up.

Badgers, imposs1904, Hollis and 5 others like this.
  22. agricola

bizarre applauding at the end there

Wilf likes this.
  23. Wilf

Wow mourhino looked quite goodbye-ish at the end.

agricola, Voley and Favelado like this.
  24. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Is that Mourinho saying goodbye to the fans forever? Maybe not but had a bit of a hint about it.

agricola and Voley like this.
  25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

26. Wilf

That's what I wondered.

27. sealion

Spurs fans singing -you're not special anymore- would have dented him :D

28. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Was a bit odd wasn't it? Do you think he's off?

Badgers likes this.
  29. sealion

30. agricola

:D

Riklet, Badgers, sealion and 2 others like this.