Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Or stay at Spurs

2. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

So, if United do that most unexpected and radical thing, win a game of football today, they are in with a chance of 3rd or 4th. Goal difference means they'd require Chelsea or Spurs to drop points, but United have an easier remaining 2 games after that (assuming Cardiff have been relegated by the time they play). The last month or so has been mad with the top 2 winning pretty much every game and the next 4 winning about 1 in 4 games. One for the stat-os, but fairly unique I'd guess, at least in the Premier league era.

3. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

I think the shop window XI have played well first half, though I don't know why we've got Jim Leighton in goal...

Wilf likes this.
  4. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

this Norwegian kid is boy jumping into the deep end of a swimming pool and realising he isn't a good swimmer as he thought he was. Will he drop DDG? Dont think he has the balls to do it. We could have been sat 3rd with all the opportunities we had with spurs and arsenal losing matches or drawing them. :facepalm:

millions more will be wasted giving him the cheque book.

5. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

It wasnt a bad game betwen two teams that have huffed and puffed all season but at least Sarri has a philosophy and a game plan, we just need a squad that adopts it. United on the other hand neither have the squad or a game plan. Sorry but cant see that changing and fortunate to have 11 on the pitch at the end.

6. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Sarri has a game plan whether its a winning one is a) moot and b) even if it is, miss out on top four and he'll be gone in the summer. In any event until the De Gea contribution, Utd were objectively the better side. Even with the life sucked out of them after that, I don't remember Chelsea actually having a shot on target (which was just as well).
    Herrera again showed what was missing in his absence: the critical knitting of defence and attack together. Given the contract disruption that followed, Sanchez is destined to go down as the most calamitous bit of business in PL history. Cheers Ed, you fucking knob.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Blimey

Spurs - LLDLLWWLWL= 10pt/30
    Chelsea - DLWWWLDD = 12pts/24
    Arsenal - DWWLWLLL = 10pts/24
    Man Utd LWLWLLD = 7pts/21

Argonia and Pickman's model like this.
  8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Just looking at the possible outcomes in the Europa race...

Man Utd can finish with a maximum of 71 points if they win their last two games.

Huddersfield away
    Cardiff at home

Screenshot_2019-04-29-06-22-39-098_uk.co.bbc.android.sportdomestic.jpg

Utd GD is -7 vs Arsenal and -8 to Chelsea

If Chelsea only get 3 points from their last 2 games Utd are almost certainly in the Europa unless Utd score a lot.

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I'm far from convinced that not making the top four is a sackable offence these days , the top six is too competitive.

Badgers likes this.
  10. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

Rio on the shortlist for director of football, according to Sky. Bad appointment in my view-though he did say that we should stop wasting our time chasing Ramos a few years back when we were linked with him. He said Ramos as using us to bump his wage with Madrid. Called it right so maybe he does no a thing or to. Still would prefer that former southampton bloke who actually has a track record.

Badgers likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Sanchez starting today. Good to see Ole bringing out the big guns for the CL race.

12. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

That would awful, he has no track record and doesn't come across as the sharpest bloke on TV.

Awful, but funny as fuck.

Badgers and Favelado like this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I read that Ole (#oleout) wants Phelan for that role :hmm:

The obvious choice is Moyes

14. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

I wonder how many players there are in this United squad that fans would actually be disappointed to see leave

Badgers likes this.
  15. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Subbed off after 0 shots on goal
    Still played better than Pogba

16. S☼I

S☼I parading on your rain

Herrera is well-liked

Badgers likes this.
  17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Europa League confirmed if this stays as is :thumbs:

19. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Yes that's true and he is leaving - still at least they tied down young and jones on extended contracts :thumbs:

S☼I, Wilf and Badgers like this.
  20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Odd that Ole (#oleout) did not start him

21. Wilf

Think of it not as a full Brexit, more a temporary customs union.

Badgers and steveo87 like this.
  22. Wilf

I don't like putting things in Roy Keane terms, but this really is looking like a 'character' issue. None of the players seem to be thinking 'how do we put this right, what do I need to do'.

steveo87 and Badgers like this.
  23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

To be fair to Utd...

I can't see any point (apart from money) in CL football for Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal on current form.

Wilf likes this.
  24. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Good point was made a week or two back was that s number of elite clubs will be spending big this summer, United are really going to struggle to get the biggest world class players and they need a lot of them too!

Badgers likes this.
  25. Wilf

I might be washing my hair on Thursday nights.

Badgers likes this.
  26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

They are giving Huddersfield half a fair go though.

Wilf likes this.
  27. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Only relegated Fulham and Huddersfield (both five) have kept fewer clean sheets in the Premier League this season than Manchester United (seven).

Argonia likes this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Did I hear that right...

Man Utd wage bill is the second highest in Europe?

30. Wilf

Fuck it, come on Huddersfield!

Badgers likes this.