Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Joe Reilly

Is it a coincidence that as soon as his agent shuffles his hippo arse to check his back account Pogba's form goes off a cliff? And when it does the teams composure suffers. Ole might have confidence in Pogba as 'a player and a person' but I remain to be convinced. De Gea too, also in negotiating territory looked distracted against Wolves. And although Fred got the blame for the first goal the exact same combination also cost (or almost) a goal (was it against Bournemouth away?) previously. De Gea to Fred on edge of the box, poor control, robbed effortlessly etc.

And for all the plaudits directed at the keeper, he rarely if ever takes pressure of his defenders. Rarely comes to claim a ball and even leave his six yard box. Smalling can have good games but always looks at full stretch/on edge possibly for that reason. Jones too, but even more frenetically.

So combine these characteristics with the De Gea weaknesses and for that reason Utd do need a commanding centre half/leader whatever the contrary sounds the coming out of OT suggest. Again Lingard choose last night reminds us he is a squad player pure and simple. On the other hand Dalot looked useful going forward, although at 19 still getting used to the Prem, his defence is still questionable. While the McTominay display, coupled with the outing against PSG, and future as a standard bearer (future captain even) in centre mid-field looks assured. If Herrera does go (which would be a shame) Utd are also then short in midfield. So right back, centre half, centre midfield, and right wing are the stand out gaps that need filling for a title challenging squad, assuming the situation with Pogba De Gea and to a lesser extent Lukaku can be resolved in a tranquil way.

Sanchez, Darmian and Rojo need to be shown the door to enhance greater squad cohesion - if that is - they can persuade them to depart and persuade someone else to take them on.

The39thStep

Is it a coincidence that as soon as his agent shuffles his hippo arse to check his back account Pogba's form goes off a cliff? And when it does the teams composure suffers. Ole might have confidence in Pogba as 'a player and a person' but I remain to be convinced. De Gea too, also in negotiating territory looked distracted against Wolves. And although Fred got the blame for the first goal the exact same combination also cost (or almost) a goal (was it against Bournemouth away?) previously. De Gea to Fred on edge of the box, poor control, robbed effortlessly etc.

And for all the plaudits directed at the keeper, he rarely if ever takes pressure of his defenders. Rarely comes to claim a ball and even leave his six yard box. Smalling can have good games but always looks at full stretch/on edge possibly for that reason. Jones too, but even more frenetically.

So combine these characteristics with the De Gea weaknesses and for that reason Utd do need a commanding centre half/leader whatever the contrary sounds the coming out of OT suggest. Again Lingard choose last night reminds us he is a squad player pure and simple. On the other hand Dalot looked useful going forward, although at 19 still getting used to the Prem, his defence is still questionable. While the McTominay display, coupled with the outing against PSG, and future as a standard bearer (future captain even) in centre mid-field looks assured. If Herrera does go (which would be a shame) Utd are also then short in midfield. So right back, centre half, centre midfield, and right wing are the stand out gaps that need filling for a title challenging squad, assuming the situation with Pogba De Gea and to a lesser extent Lukaku can be resolved in a tranquil way.

Sanchez, Darmian and Rojo need to be shown the door to enhance greater squad cohesion - if that is - they can persuade them to depart and persuade someone else to take them on.
Dalot looked very promising at Porto going foward , very fast, good control and crossing but you are right in that its his defensive skills and awareness that need improving and coaching.

chilango

Der Teufel scheißt immer auf den größten Haufen
I'm happy with Dalot so far.

I like the noises coming out of Old Trafford about buying young, hungry players rather than big names.

Much as I like Pogba, and I do, I wouldn't be too upset if he left and we invested the money in rebuilding an up and coming core.

This squad has proven over the last half a decade that it isn't, quite, good enough. So there's few established players I'd shed a tear over leaving. Even DDG. Mata? Herrera? Lukaku? Yeah, any and all can go if they want.

Build the new team around Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Mctominay etc.

Sure that lacks experience, but experience should be a positive - leadership, game savvy etc. We're not getting that from our experienced players right.

If OGS has got one thing, it's the "ethos" we want. Build around that and have patience.

Riklet

procrastinación
Gonna be interesting tomorrow! My instinct is United will get hammered, but then again, it is United. So who knows!

rekil

Gonna be interesting tomorrow! My instinct is United will get hammered, but then again, it is United. So who knows!
Barcelona's CL away record isn't actually very good so a narrow win at best. They can be got at though. Cue 4-0 var assisted drubbing. Home is a different story however.

I am not a 'fan' of either side.

Last edited: