Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

[​IMG]

Dandred, donkyboy and sealion like this.
  2. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Even if that's correct i don't think he can match Klopp and Guardiola when it comes down to it. As pointed out in this thread, football has moved on a bit and putting a team of physical lumps together won't cut it anymore.

donkyboy and Badgers like this.
  3. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sealion likes this.
  4. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

Not going to put a single united player in my FF team.

Badgers likes this.
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

De Gea is still the best keeper in the prem

Badgers likes this.
  6. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

nope. not interested.

7. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Optimized-PULIS.png

Badgers likes this.
  8. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

“Half of this team won’t even be here in August,” ; “why shouldn’t Sanchez be unhappy, I have no other strikers, no wingers, none” ; “Bailly is not a leader; good guy, works hard, not a leader” ; “I don’t even know why these fans showed up, I wouldn’t.”

Great manager you have.

Threshers_Flail and Badgers like this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Pogba possibly heading to Juventus :hmm:.

Dandred likes this.
  10. TruXta

TruXta tired

Sanchez to Arsenal?

Badgers likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Doubt many other team want him at £500k+ a week

12. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Mourinho's certainly a cunt and doesn't look like he can adapt his approach. He's also stinking the place out with all this moaning - why the fuck can't he just say 'look, this is challenging, but a great opportunity for the young players'. As it stands, he's just telling something like 1/3 of what will ultimately be his squad for the season that they are not good enough. Terrible, petulant stuff.

Same time, not saying much, but he's done better than moyes and van gaal, got the runners up spot. But that's in the context of the table above (even if all that spending wasn't on his watch). Not good enough. I would guess, by trophies, he's the most successful manger of the last couple of decades. But he's lost his mojo. Same time, if it was choice of binning him or the owners I'd keep him anyday. My guess is they'll end up top 4 or so and he'll leave next Summer.

The39thStep likes this.
  13. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Conte did the same last year constantly saying he required more players and whilst he may have had a point or not , it just grates after a while and becomes a squeaky wheel. Sure there is huge pressure to win the league/CL, or finish in the top four but surely there is something more to being a coach than just buying the best players? I've got all the time in the world for coaches that manage to build a team, coach them, improve players , bring some youth through, work on tactics Simeone, Pochettino, Jardim at Monaco, Klopp , the bloke at Sevilla, and Sarri ( obviously might all go wrong at Chelsea).
    Cant quite work out the Mourinho/Woodward situation tbh , Woodward pretty much put his reputation and position on the line in going for Mourinho who wasnt exactly inundated with options after the way he left Chelsea. Hes had the dosh and whilst everyone can say not as much as City , Guardiola has made some excellent signings , very often players that were slightly off the media radar, and improved them.
    Mourinho tends to pick a fight and keep it going before he leaves normally having had his agent sound other clubs out but I'm not sure where he would go next . Possibly PSG, but not Spain , long shot Juventus . The top 4 is now very competitive and finishing in that top four is an achievement itself but whether or not thats good enough for United fans and for Mourinho is another question. I dont know if he can change his style of play or whether its integral to his belief that that is what wins trophies , if it is he'll have to be judged on that.

Wilf and sealion like this.
  14. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I think Mourinho is managing to put a downer on the whole feeling around United. It must get the fans down too. I liked this about motiviation and young players.

Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola on young players: The difference - Football365

imposs1904, sealion and Wilf like this.
  15. Wilf

Used to think Mourhino was at least as good as Fergie at mind games, if not better. But there's no obvious strategy in play here - he just harms his own squad. Only possible logic is expectation management/self justifications, but it's a self destructive way to even do that.

sealion and Badgers like this.
  16. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

The concept of mind-games is maybe getting dated in itself, except for in particular situations. Klopp just made a joke, was his usual relaxed self, and the wind up didn't work. Everyone's seen that Keegan video, and the Benítez one. Just don't let it get to you, and the mind games fail.

sealion, Badgers and Wilf like this.
  17. Wilf

Yep, most of the good managers just seem to get on with and it and generate some positivity around their own squad. This really is destructive stuff for united. Not sure who at the club is in a position to tell him to wind his neck in. He's battling away with Woodward anyway, so not him. Ferguson isn't in a position to do anything and the owners tend to keep out of the day to day management afaik. Must admit though, I'm not that well up on the hierarchy at united. The likes of bobby Charlton don't seem to go in for 'quiet words'.

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

tommers and Dandred like this.
  19. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Source The S*n so probably not true but might lift some spirits in the squad

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Mateo Kovacic, 24, will not join Manchester United because he does not want to play under Jose Mourinho (Marca)

Dandred and Wilf like this.
  22. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

:D:D:D:D:D

Badgers likes this.
  23. Wilf

TBH, his pitch at the moment is lacking something: 'We're shit, everybody's injured, we're not very keen on paternity leave and there's loads of kids who will never play the first team. Can we sign you?'

Dandred and Badgers like this.
  24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

26. Wilf

Badgers likes this.
  27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Good post on the BBC site

Screenshot_2018-08-09-12-48-18-1.png

sealion likes this.
  28. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

That's about right. He never stays long and tends to manufacure his dearture by alienating his players in public. He's a busted flush and bad for the game.

Badgers, Wilf and S☼I like this.
  29. Wilf

Not sure the squad is good enough to challenge citeh, but good enough to get top 4, later stages of CL etc. But yeah, this is a problem almost entirely of Mourhino's making, give or take having a fair number of his players still involved in the World Cup latter stages. Might not be gone by November, my money's on the Summer, but I'd struggle to see him being manager in 12 months.

30. Wilf

Yeah, might have done better if he's taken over straight after Fergie, but in 2018 he has become the problem.

Realise, it's easy to come out with this kind of stuff in retrospect and all that. But this really is a terrible way of setting your team up for the start of a season. Chickens coming home to roost with players saying they don't want to move to OT.