Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Clearly our best player by a mile. But tbh I've no emotional attachment to him. On the pitch we couldn't replace him. But I'm beyond that now...

Badgers likes this.
  2. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

Whopper...?

My point was he's complaining his centre backs aren't good enough but he brought them to the club. You're saying he wasn't backed financially to bring in players but he's been given a budget and he's complained about players he has bought - a manager is supposed to bring in players in line with the budget that improve the team.

I don't remember a period last season when Bailly was the best thing since sliced bread, but it's irrelevant, Im not saying he's terrible I'm saying Mourinho is saying his CB's aren't good enough and you're saying he hasn't been backed but he's saying himself his signings aren't good enough.

Badgers likes this.
  3. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

I'm not really one for being pedantic, but wasn't he on about their penalty taking as opposed to their capabilities when defending?

Badgers likes this.
  4. SpackleFrog

He said they were in trouble if Jones and Bailly were taking the penalties (presumably he picks the penalty takers?) but I meant a few weeks ago when he was saying that he didn't have good enough CB's after Brighton and then he dropped Bailly and Lindelof.

Dandred and Badgers like this.
  5. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

It's beyond a farce

6. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Its not about credit its about judgement. Under previous regimes Carrick was a player. 5 Premierships/CL and highly regarded by his peers. Nice modest guy aside, he also knows what it takes to win, but that does not make him responsible for how Moyes/LVG conducted affairs does it?
    But now he's a coach. Big difference. So if he thought there was an ounce of value in putting his arm around Pogba - good cop to Jose's bad cop - I'm sure we would have been ideally suited to the task.
    So in terms of apportioning blame the fact that Pogba appears even dead to him is hugely significant.

Patteran, Dandred and Badgers like this.
  7. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

This has to be the most entertaining start to season I have enjoyed in a long while! :D:D:D

Badgers likes this.
  8. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

According to a pal, 13 out of 14 United players went to applaud the away fans at the final whistle. Only Pogba was missing. It's hard judging these things especially accurately or scientifically, but it does now feel that Jose & Pogba have both crossed a line with significant sections of the fanbase.

Badgers likes this.
  9. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

This is about right. I’m not sure who’s to blame. Perhaps both of them to some degree but as I really don’t like the way Jose conducts himself and never wanted him anywhere the club in the first place I’m more than happy pin most of it on him.

The truth is only a handful of people really know what’s going on at board level, what’s happening on the training ground and what’s said in the dressing room so a lot of this is just speculation.

If we’d have finished mid-table in Jose’s first season, finished second the following the season and would win the Europa League and League Cup this season most United fans would be happy and he could justifiably take much of the credit.

But it’s likely to be the other way round. In reality he has taken the club backwards - despite a massive spending spree.

I just cannot see any plausible argument for him not being sacked bar a shortage of suitable alternatives.

In the absence of Zidane I’d have Wenger for the rest of the season. He knows the Premier and European leagues like the back of his hand, no language barriers and a chance of decent football.

More likely to get the best out of Pogba and Martial (and let’s not forget Jose has spectacularly fallen out with him too) and see where we go from there at the end of what is shaping up to be a very disappointing season.

10. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Wenger to Man U?!? Crazy, but could work in the short-term; not only Pogba and Martial, but Sanchez could benefit. Lol, though, love it.

SpackleFrog and Badgers like this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

#Wengerin would be perfect :D

Fez909, SpackleFrog, sealion and 3 others like this.
  12. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Quite like the idea of him turning up and sitting in 'Ferguson's office'. Fergie having to knock before he comes in. :thumbs:

Fez909, imposs1904, sealion and 4 others like this.
  13. Wilf

In fact let's run with this. It's a way of healing all the wounds of brexit, a sort of hands across the sea Ship Canal.
    The owners would love it too. Annual Transfer Budget: NIL.
    #Wengerin

14. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Roy Hodgson would be a perfect fit.

Badgers likes this.
  15. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

Such is the current state of affairs it's difficult to know which suggestion is serious, and which is a joke.

Badgers, Wilf and Dandred like this.
  16. Wilf

All joke names should be put in a hat and the Selected One gets the job.
    #Wengerin

Badgers likes this.
  17. Wilf

I'd start narrowing it down:

Field of 10 candidates asked to pronounce the word triffic -
    Successful Candidates: Roy and Harry

Field of 2 Candidates asked if they have ever opened a bank account in their dog's name -
    We have a winner!

18. SpackleFrog

Gotta say, I'm into it. Imagine Wenger in his coat in the Utd technical area. "Don't worry about defending lads just express yourself." Perfect antidote!

sealion, Badgers and Wilf like this.
  19. SpackleFrog

Could also be a golden chance for Harry Redknapp to return to Premier League management - and why not indeed?

Badgers and Wilf like this.
  20. Wilf

If someone can hold the fort for a couple of months, there might be the ideal candidate ...
    #Strong and Stable

21. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

According to a report in The Times Pogba was unperturbed after the game: "Pogba sauntered not unhappily - actually as he sauntered smilingly - towards the poshest team bus you will ever see..."

Yep, there's a guy you could rely in a tight spot alright. He should simply be dropped from the squad. And then fuck him out in January. On loan. Anything will do. Just get rid of him. He's fucking poison. It really will make no difference to how the team performs at this stage, but one way or the other Utd need to show him and his slug of an agent that they're not in charge. He'd never have got away with his fucking self-regarding antics if the likes of Rooney, Vidic not to mention Keane were in the dressing room.

Riklet and Badgers like this.
  22. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Triffic!

Badgers likes this.
  23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

shifting gears, Riklet, Wilf and 3 others like this.
  24. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Great game............:D:D:D:thumbs:

Badgers and nuffsaid like this.
  25. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

It's a bit like watching the Tory party conference really isn't it lately watching Manure. Pogba as Bojo, Moanio as May. Pure panto:cool:

Badgers and Wilf like this.
  26. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

That was an epically tedious game.
    a I fear United fans are in for a long, tough season

Badgers likes this.
  27. Wilf

Look, we are lulling you into a false sense of security. :mad: United always come good in the 2nd half of the season, no, erm, decade, erm, err... Century?

28. Wilf

Pogba = Johnson, yes. But I'd have lvg as May - with Moyes as an impish version of Michael Gove, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But Mourhino? The face of Alan Duncan, the self importance of Jonathan Aitken and the tactical nous of, well, actually, yes - Theresa May.

Badgers, sealion and friedaweed like this.
  29. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I bet that's wot Bojo told May on their fist date when he got the old skool pigs head out at half time.

Badgers likes this.
  30. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

the benefits of Mourinho won't be apparent for 50 years

tommers, Badgers, SpackleFrog and 4 others like this.