Manchester United 18/19: finishing second best

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Took flak for what? Getting a mediocre team to perform beyond their level.

Badgers likes this.
  2. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

True. I get what you mean. However, this season has started badly for Atleti - and I've just got a feeling that his time is coming to close there. It's just a hunch. So, the timing might just work out.

Badgers likes this.
  3. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

The board put the blocks on a lot of his transfer targets.

Badgers likes this.
  4. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

Yeah. I'm sceptical that Zidane is what we need or want, or that he'd actually succeed.

Badgers likes this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Even Klopp was a German author of westerns, died 1913

Badgers and Libertad like this.
  6. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

First things first, get the old badge back on the shirt and then re-ignite '''green & gold 'til the club is sold".

Take a long time and a big personality to draw a line under the fiasco of hiring Toxic Joe and re-purchasing a former youth team player for a loss of 70 odd million.

A former youth team player who seems every bit as decisive as late era Roy Keane was.

7. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

*devisive **spell-check

8. Favelado

You mean include the words "football club" on it again?

Badgers, Libertad and Jay Park like this.
  9. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Some may see it as a token gesture.

Badgers likes this.
  10. Favelado

No. I just found it funny and very telling that it happened fairly soon after the change to a plc.

Badgers and Jay Park like this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Ach auld moany's doing a grand job

nuffsaid, Badgers and Jay Park like this.
  12. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

The first two offerings were somewhat tongue in cheek.

The 'institution' of Manchester United is now used as a vehicle for the egos of Mourinho and Pogba. Which is something that hasn't happened since, erm, Alex Ferguson MBE.

Badgers likes this.
  13. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

14. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Jay Park All my Korean friends who supported Manu now support Spuds, even a die hard Ares supporter, say a lot about Koreans....

15. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

:confused:

16. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Because they are more designed to save Mourinhos job than they are to be an investment or even a way to winning anything

17. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

He knows...

Badgers likes this.
  18. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Pogba had an exemplary World Cup. Focused, energetic, disciplined, unselfish, team player, consistent, dominant, decisive. Exactly the opposite to the way he performs at United. What is the difference?

Many like to believe it is Mourinho. But for me it is probably that his slug of an agent had no skin in the tournament, so he took the summer off. But once the season starts up he pops sniffing out his next payday.

So when Mourinho says that Pogba is not a Utd type captain he's got it half right. The truth is he's not a Utd type player. Pogba for all his talent had an important chip missing. Credit to Fergie for spotting it early. And Jose's failure to do so may well end his career at top level. Ultimately, it may cost Pogba in the end as well.

Barcelona may well be looking and thinking - 'Hold on a minute, we may have to spend upwards on £100 million plus wages to satisfy that fat fuck of an agent only to discover we have signed the new Balotelli?'

The39thStep, Badgers and Jay Park like this.
  19. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Says a lot about the modern football supporter, and those who consume '''the greatest league in the world" (trademark). I'm not Korean either.

sealion and Badgers like this.
  20. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

Just to clarify though, what sweeping generalisation might you suggest 'about Koreans' Dandy-red?

I went to primary school in Lower-Brougton. Somewhat dyed-in-the-wool.

imposs1904, Patteran and sealion like this.
  21. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

I agree with you (of course) about Pogba's agent and about Pogba himself, who has a responsibility to, well, try and play good football. But in the mad world of millioaire footballers and billionaire owners, where I don't really have any sympathy with any of them, you still have to look at Mourhino. Apart from simply playing shit football - they'll be in the bottom half if Palace win on Monday - he has a responsibility for the vibe, the atmosphere and the sense of solidarity that should be there. Criticising individual players in ways that are just cheap shots (the Bailly and Jones thing in the shootout is just one example) creates a context in which Pogba's self importance flourishes. Good management is all about managing prima donnas and arseholes. Mourhono somehow used to combine barbed comments about playyers with creating a one for all ethos. That's what he seems to have lost most of all. I dunno if he's fallen behind in terms of tactics - people who know more than me say he has - but if he can't get the team playing for him it doesn't matter too much.

Badgers and sealion like this.
  22. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Ole. ;)

Badgers likes this.
  23. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I'm adding Conte and Blanc to a provisional shortlist for next manager along with Zidane ,Leonardo Jardim, and possibly Ancelloti.

Badgers likes this.
  24. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Badgers likes this.
  25. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

Yes I know but they never said he had to buy Lindelof and Bailly did they?

Badgers likes this.
  26. Jay Park

Jay Park quasihobo

What are you being condescending for?
    Bailly was the best thing since sliced bread this time last season you massive whopper.

Badgers likes this.
  27. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

The manager cannot be held "responsible for the vibe" if the CEO is actively undermining him. Woodward likes Pogba because it fits the type of media profile he thinks Utd need. Mourinho wants rid of Pogba. Pogba wants to go. So he's working his ticket. Yet Woodward still says no to both. So in order to force reconciliation Mourinho is instructed to make Pogba captain. But that was like 'giving a bold child chocolate'. Rewarding him for his disgraceful lack of commitment is inevitably bound to devastate team morale.

What would the likes of Young, Smalling. Fellani, McTominay and Rashford, who pulled their tripe out against West Ham nonetheless, make of that? When Pogba was eventually hooked he then low-fived the subs and some staff as if the game was won and he had scored a hat-trick. But when Carrick generally regarded one of the nicest guys in football, totally cut him dead it spoke volumes. Whatever else is going on, every Utd fan should trust Carrick''s judgement on this one.

Dandred and Jay Park like this.
  28. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

...and yet Carrick has been there as first Moyes, then LVG and now Mourinho preside over teams giving up.

Not sure I'd credit Carrick too much tbh.

Profit orientated owners and CEO

vs.

Negative, egotistical manager

vs.

Pampered, fragile players

Hmm. Few are coming out of this looking good.

Tbh I wouldn't shed a tear over the departure of anybody or everybody at this point.

29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

De Gea?

30. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Yep, all of that. Must admit, I wish I'd been able to shake off supporting the team when the Glaziers took over, but whether you support a team isn't something you really 'decide'. But yeah, with them robbing the club, woodward's spivery, and a team that don't seem to give a fuck, there's not much to like. I always disliked ferguson as a person, but you could always see a passion for the club and winning games with him, even if it meant behaving like a cunt at times. You just don't get a sense that Mourhino's nonsense is even about winning any more.

sealion likes this.