Manchester United 17/18: Reigning Europa League Champions, EFL Cup and Community Shield Holders!!!

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, Jun 21, 2017.

1. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

2. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Revolution from within. I like their thinking. Infiltrate the system, win hearts and minds and then mobilise the youth teams to install democratic systems and a free vote.

I imagine the fee will eventually go to charity or something.

3. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Eamonn Dunphy reckons Paul Pogba is worth "about £20 million" and Mourinho is a "diva". Had previously remarked that Ronaldo was a "show pony". In other words any Utd fans with lingering doubts about the ability of either ought to be seriously encouraged by Dunphy's remarks.

Badgers likes this.
  4. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

France striker Antoine Griezmann, 26, will demand £400,000 a week to reject Barcelona and join Manchester United from Atletico Madrid. it is claimed :eek:

5. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Thoughts on the seemingly likely Sanchez transfer? Looks like a bit of short termism to me, to the detriment of Martial and Rashford (just seen a grauniad piece saying exactly that). In some kind of thought experiment, I'd rather have had a Mkhitaryan (returned to form) instead of Sanchez. Micky gets added to the list of world class players who have failed at OT.

Edit: Kagawa, DiMaria, Schweinsteiger and to some extent Hernandez.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

I guess Forlan and Veron could be added to that list.

Wilf likes this.
  7. Wilf

Definitely - and at least as much as DiMaria - I was just thinking of the post-Fergie era. And for readers of a certain vintage, Gary Birtles.

8. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Nah.
    • Mkhtaryan - World Class? Really? A decent player, who just isn't a great fit for Jose's Utd. He ought to do better at Arsenal, we'll see.
    • Kagawa - Again, not world class. How's he done since he left Utd?
    • Di Maria - Yes, he was a failure. Top player, looked brillinat for the first few games and then his head went. Real shame.
    • Schweinsteiger - Past it when we got him. He couldn't be arsed.
    • Hernandez - Nowhere near world class. Much as I like him his record since suggests he overacheived with us rather than the the opposite.
    • Forlan - He was good for us.
    • Veron - A huge disappointment. But he was no good for Chelsea either, so suggest the EPL was his problem not the club.

9. Wilf

Okay, take your point, maybe international level rather than world class. But Schweinsteiger aside (age), all of them came with a decent to excellent pedigree/record at their last club and should have done a lot better at United. If we were slipping into that wider 'should have had a better career at United' list, I'd have had Berbatov on there was well. Despite his golden boot year I thought they should have got more out of him, maybe even reinventing him as a creative midfielder as he slowed down (further).

10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Hernandez and Forlan didn't iirc. We "hijacked" Forlan from Middlesborough!!! He was decent for us, though not as prolific as he perhaps should've been. Certainly not a failure. Hernandez was not a big name or reputation. He made those with us.

The others? Yeah. Disappointing. But, Di Maria aside, not really our "fault".

11. Joe Reilly

Sanchez 'free transfer'! What a coup. Potentially as big a game changer as Cantona over a quarter of a century ago. A Utd type player for sure. All the focus on the money is sheer envy. Zlatan will be off the books in the summer at the latest. And Mikhitrayian is already gone. So that's the wages sorted. Ditto the notion that Martial/Rashford/Lingard are at risk. Again just counter propaganda. Sanchez can play right across the line alright, but the yawning vacancy for years is as a natural 7 (where he played for Barcelona) or alternatively in the hole as as a 10 with Lingard moving outside him on the right. All round an enormous up tick for Mourinho and Woodward. And for Sanchez too of course.

(City could have had him of course, which makes it all the sweeter, but that's what happens when you spunk £150 million on three full backs!)

Eggby likes this.
  12. TruXta

TruXta tired

Watch Mourinho proceed to pummel the will to live out of him :D

Dandred, donkyboy, Wilf and 1 other person like this.
  13. TruXta

TruXta tired

:hmm::facepalm:

14. Eggby

Eggby Well-Known Member

Be nice for Utd if Sanchez was a new Cantona...would be hard to emulate King Eric but hope he has a good go

Badgers likes this.
  15. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

It might not be, he wanted to sign for city so don't be surprised if the toys get chucked from the pram in a year or so.

Badgers likes this.
  16. The39thStep

There are some that would say that Sanchez has just come for the money.If hes come for the football he'd better bring the football with him.

imposs1904, Wilf and Badgers like this.
  17. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

He's going to do a lot of chasing down full backs, seeing the ball passed past him to unmarked men and frantically waving at his team mates to push on, as they all sit behind the half-way-line.

Whether they have the success to counter the frustration remains to be seen.

Wilf and Badgers like this.
  18. Joe Reilly

Well, there are already certain similarities. Cantona also arrived mid season (sort of). He also cost just one million allegedly because of his disruptive effect in the Leeds dressing room. Cantona was a winner who hadn't actually won enough to justify the tag. So he hit the ground running. Sanchez is known to have a similar hunger for glory. In order to achieve that he is prepared to take risks, be ruthless - to do the unexpected.

So he has the necessary arrogance to electrify not just the forward line but the whole team, indeed the whole club.

For example the Sanchez transfer was announced at 6 pm. News of de Bruyne new contract was announced at the same time. 30 minutes later the De Bruyne tweet ahd 3,535 likes. Whereas in the same period Sanchez had accrued over 84,000...
    And yet despite all this the BBC correspondent still felt it appropriate to describe the move as a sign of "desperation".

Nice to see the ABU's taking it so well!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  19. The39thStep

FA Cup beckons

20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I hope so. I like winning the cup :thumbs:

21. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

i lack the funds to put him in my fantasy football team :(

22. Eggby

Eggby Well-Known Member

Well that started absolutely terribly and then went downhill rapidly from there...:-O

Badgers likes this.
  23. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Don't worry-they were probably distracted by that 'buzz' around Sanchez.

The39thStep likes this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

What happened with Fellaini? Was he injured?

Badgers likes this.
  25. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Yes.
    E2a: bit brief if you watch the tele he pulled up after an attempted tackle after only a few minutes.The special one in the interview said it's the same injury he always gets not serious but he has to come off.

26. Eggby

Eggby Well-Known Member

Dunno he seemed alright but maybe not...Jose getting desperate? Collectively terrible tonight though, how we're in second spot is a wonder

27. TruXta

TruXta tired

Cheers. It'd be weird even by Maureen's standards to hook off a sub for another sub 7 minutes into the first sub.

Badgers likes this.
  28. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Knee ligament.

29. Joe Reilly

Not enough bodies in midfield. Away from home against any competitive side I would always favour Matic and Herrera holding and Pogba free. Playing Martial, Lingard, Lukaku and Sanchez conceded the middle to Spurs. And starting Sanchez on the left was another error, later to be corrected. Going forward Sanchez must play at 10 or 7 for the side to enjoy a proper balance. Adding in left footed Shaw would also help. And judging on last nights CB performance...the sooner Bailly returns the better.

30. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I thought we were ok for the first 30 minutes or so. Not good enough, but not terrible. Second half was shocking. No midfield at all. By the hour mark you could see that the heads had properly dropped.

At least one top class midfielder needed.