Management asks me to remove band photos because it suits their latest PR wheeze

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jan 24, 2019.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No fucking chance. I review gigs and I'm not going to get in the habit of putting up and taking down articles on the whims of an artist's latest PR requirements.

MrSki and farmerbarleymow like this.
  2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

They going to do in this era of Instagram eta it's rare that his face ain't splashed over the internet?
    Not mentioning it's because they've redacted the internet and it was just like most.

3. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Depending on how well known this person is, this project could either be very very difficult or utterly impossible. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get all publically accessible pictures of me taken off the internet and nobody gives a shit who I am.

4. Gromit

You could obscure a few images of his face. With a sticker that says cuntface or similar. That would please them.

farmerbarleymow, 8ball and editor like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i wonder whether it's a new project or an upcoming trial

UrbaneFox and 8ball like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It gets better...
    Take away points:

- I didn't "ask permission" to take pictures at a public gig.
    - They thanked me for the photos and the coverage at the time.
    - "We've been happy for you to host these for a short time..."

I'll move this to the photography forum as it's moved on from a controlling management outfit to one actively trying to control what photos can be taken and or used (non commercially).

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I’m really not sure on what sort of legal basis they could insist you take down the photos (which is probably why they’re just being vague in a pseudo-legal way). Them having been taken on private property isn’t an issue in itself - there’s no standard rights granted to the venue or the subjects, they can specify that you can’t take photos unless you agree to some, but they would have had to say that first which they haven’t.

Really, “ask nicely” is about the only thing they can do as far as I can see and they’ve muffed that a bit with the first paragraph.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

"for a new project we’re putting together" - they make it sound like a performance art piece to delete themselves from the internet.

editor likes this.
  9. Pickman's model

file under Controlling UnNecessary TwatS

SpookyFrank and editor like this.
  10. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Auto email rule, from: > Deleted items

11. 8ball

8ball BUY QUALITY SLAT NOW!!

I'm not that familiar with this sort of thing, but am struggling to think why they would be asking for this in the first place.

12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Why not take it down?

Edie likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's not how journalism works. I'm not here to serve the changing agendas of PR agencies, especially when they try and tell me what my rights are as a photographer.

14. Gromit

How Journalism works these days is show me the money.

Ask em how much they are going to pay you as a contributor to their new project.

Not that you'll take the money. I'm just curious as to what they think your price is. Though they probably don't have a budget to buy out everyone. Else they wouldn't be resorting to intimidation.

dylanredefined likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball BUY QUALITY SLAT NOW!!

Find out why they want this, and do a story about it.
    Include some pics with the guys face pixellated. :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

17. ska invita

Seems a weird thing to take a stand on. The second email tone is a wind up though for sure. Should just ask really really nicely rather than faux legal threats

Edie likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a matter of ethics and integrity to me. Maybe you can't see that, but I'm not going to take up my time taking down published reviews or altering articles on the fancies and whims of PR agencies, especially when they start employing cod legal threats.

gawkrodger likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was personally invited to the gig too in my capacity as a Brixton Buzz journalist.

20. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

awesome article on ****.’ headline show at *****

Pls name and shame!!!!!

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was a tiny gig, the artiste is not well known at all (in fact mine is the only review that comes up in Google) but a very clear publicity picture of the artiste's face can be swiftly found on Twitter and on the front page of the management/PR's company own Facebook page. :facepalm:

Seems to me that the management and/or artist are extraordinarily naive and have no idea how to deal with the press. They should be grateful for the positive review and try to grow relationship not threaten them with cloudy nonsensical legal threats.

littleseb likes this.
  22. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

I was pissing about tbh, but yeah, often up-and-coming PR comps have little to know idea what PRing actually entails, ime.

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And just to clear up this 'permission needed' nonsense.

24. ska invita

I'm not looking for an argument but curious what ethical fight you are fighting here? The right to ignore a request, is all it seems to me. It's not like they are trying to cover up an expose. They've got no legal grounds I expect but why not just do said artist a favour. They asked nice enough in the first instance.

I expect mystery artist wants to do a Banksy, start wearing a mask and become an international artiste of mystery.

25. TruXta

TruXta tired

In which case fuck him or her :mad:

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not fighting anything. I'm just refusing to use up my time taking down something I was asked to review in the first place, for unnamed reasons and with a vague and thoroughly clueless legal threat attached if I don't do as asked.

Hopefully, it will do the management company good to learn this. Reviewers aren't there to be used as a PR tool for the latest campaign, and reviews aren't things that can be deleted on their command at a later date.

I doubt if you'll find many decent journalists who would respond any differently to their email.

27. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I wonder if they've gone through social media making the same requests.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yet they've forgotten to take the artist's picture off their own FB page! :facepalm: :facepalm:

29. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Do the guy a favour and take them down. It’s a small ask to help someone out on a project they’re working on. Don’t be tight.

30. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The whole photography permissions thing would disincline me to help them, but on the other hand, imagine it was you: would you want the right to be forgotten?