Making a murderer

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by moomoo, Jan 2, 2016.

1. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

Is anyone watching this documentary series on Netflix? My daughter has just finished and she is absolutely raving about it! Apparently I HAVE to watch it!

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I've seen the trailer and posted it on the netflix thread but not been in the mood yet. It looks like it might be interesting if you are in the mood for grim true crime docus I spose

3. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I've got it lined up with another gazillion tv series. There is so much good stuff out there right now. I've heard this is a lot like The Jinx, which I thought was amazing.

4. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I'm halfway through episode 3 right now - ie. I am watching it as I post here.

moomoo likes this.
  5. moomoo

I'm going to start tomorrow...

Apparently it's quite harrowing. :(

6. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Watched it all in 2 sittings. Completely compelling if shocking
    The story is of course fascinating, but the way it's been filmed/put together is pretty amazing.
    By the end though, I was a bit unsure about whether it was right that I had been 'entertained' by it.

kittyP likes this.
  7. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Anonymous say they have evidence proving the guys innocence which they should release in the next few days.

8. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

I'm at epsiode 6 and now trying to decide of thats a spoiler or not ^^

kittyP likes this.
  9. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Just finished episode 3. I'm not watching avidly, flicking around tabs. It's all shonky as hell. I think what is sort of fascinating is how much is out there between arrest and trial in the US. That just doesn't happen here. Someone is charged, maybe remanded and you hear nothing more til the trial. Also what gets me are law professionals of one sort or another talking about 'evil incarnate' and 'this person who showed human emotion is actually a 'monster' stuff. The performance of it all for media. It annoys me. He is human whether he killed her or not. Humans kill.

the nephew's heavily prompted story about what happened in the trailer but there's no blood. Impossible. How is no one picking up on this at the time.

teuchter likes this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i look forward to the follow-up, marketing a murderer

11. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

I'm up to episode 4, it's pretty depressing. Especially the "confession" of the 16 year old with an IQ of 65 where the investigator is just instructing him to draw pictures!

12. moomoo

My daughter was telling me about that! Apparently his defence lawyer told him to plead guilty. I'm going to start watching it now.

13. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

That boy's mum is (unwittingly) not helping him by not realising that he could have said things happened when they didn't at police prompting.

14. Thora

The mum is not very bright either though, neither of them knew what "inconsistent" meant.

15. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Yeah, it's just so frustrating.

oneunder likes this.
  16. Ten episodes? Started to get bored by episode five so stupidly googled it which completely spoiled the ending but at least I don't have another four hours of this to find out whether he gets away with it after it took twenty seconds to discover on Wikipedia.

girasol likes this.
  17. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

so the judge at sentencing talks about Avery's previous crimes without saying what they are. Now you would hope he's not saying the rape he didn't do, but who knows. But this is the first suggestion I've noticed that he's committed any other crimes. My options over what happened were either he's innocent, jail turned him bad, he committed the murder and of all the people who commit a murder at some point in their lives it's feasible one of them has been wrongly imprisoned at at earlier time, but I had also thought that there was no criminal history to speak of because one hadn't been mentioned[/s]

18. Thora

He threw a cat into a fire and served some time for it, and he ran his cousin's car off the road and threatened her with a gun (both mentioned in first episode) - there might have been some minor juvenile stuff too, I don't remember.

kittyP and moomoo like this.
  19. moomoo

I've just watched episode 4. I can't believe the way Brandon was treated! it's outrageous!

20. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Ah. Just me not paying attention then.

21. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

While the investigation seems shit I'd be interested in an alternate explanation of what happened if he didn't do it. It seems a lot of things would have to come together, maybe too many coincidences needed.

Also are they from the same area Fargo was set in? It seems like a similar accent.

Thimble Queen and kittyP like this.
  22. Part 2

Neighbouring state.

There were four other suspects but they weren't allowed to put forward an alternate explanation explicitly in court. Loads of reading online including details of the four and their previous convictions (much worse on the face of it than SA), phone records for the dead woman etc

quimcunx likes this.
  23. OneStrike

OneStrike Well-Known Member

Got a recommended starting point Chip Barm, while your on? I binge watched the whole lot yesterday so i'm in the mood. Mrs Strike has Big Brother on. I was suspicious of the Brother and housemate tbh.

24. Part 2

It's all on Reddit, couldn't tell you which threads I went through and looking now there's new info provided by jurors who were apparently scared for what would happen if they didn't convict. The three jurors who were in the minority weren't prepared to negotiate appear to have connections to the legal system in some way or another.

Making a Murderer • /r/MakingaMurderer

OneStrike likes this.
  25. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Very good series. If you like this kind of stuff, check out "The Staircase" about the Michael Petersen case.

26. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone post tenebras lux

Excellent documentary. Good to see Ken Kratz get his comeuppance, the foul sack of shit that he is. Amazing how the American justice system works. And terrifying. As one lawyer says, most people won't commit a crime, but anybody could be accused of committing one. And that's when you will need hundreds of thousands of dollars to save yourself from being locked up for life.

kittyP likes this.
  27. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Kipping in the dunes

I'm enjoying this enormously and really must stay out of this thread until I finished watching it! I can see why people rave about it, it's very well done.

28. SamSav

SamSav Member

Literally watching the last 15 minutes of the last episode. Hands down one of the best things I've ever watched.

29. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

watched it all yesterday - with the cinematography and soundtrack it was hard to remember it wasn't actually a film some of the time. i found the interviews with brendan most shocking, but not far behind was the case made for his prosecution.

oh yeah and steven's sentencing - besides the cat and the car incident there were 2 counts of burglary that included beer and a couple of sandwiches from a bar :facepalm:

my top tip? don't watch with someone who comes in 2/3 of the way through who's too ready with their opinions :mad: closest i've come to divorce :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    kittyP and Celt like this.
  30. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

We've still not finished watching it, think we got through episode 6 or 7 last night?

I hope we'll get through the rest of it soon, just so I can discuss it properly.