1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Bono history

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by nogojones, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Butchersapron. Available in no good book stores, or indeed anywhere.

2. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

Which unseen guiding force is that? I didn't see any mentioned in the link. It seems to me to be talking about group-centred versus individual-centred analysis, and how the latter has come to dominate the discourse in economics and other fields.

Well, I knew beforehand that economics favours individualised analysis, even if I couldn't explicate the specifics. This section is particularly interesting:

"It is possible to identify three waves of MI in the history of social science. The first wave was from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th, when the social sciences were established as academic disciplines. In this period, MI was represented with the Austrian school of economics. The second wave occurred during and after World War II, when the methodological issue became associated with the ideological battle between individualists and collectivists. In this period, MI was defended, above all, by Karl Popper and his followers. The third period was the latter three decades of the 20th century, when the rational choice approach increasingly gained ground and spread from economics to the other social sciences."

I suppose one could take the above as evidence of the totalitarian nature of capitalism, but religious? Unless all ideology is religion, I don't think so.

3. NoXion

What evidence do you have that such practices, assuming for the sake of argument they actually exist, constitute a significant contribution to the spread of Ebola versus people touching bodies or breaking quarantine for reasons that have nothing to do with religion?

4. Awesome Wells

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

All you saw in that link was group vs individual. Congratulations - you can't see theology! It's been normalised and made your common sense. Why on earth would the profit-seeking individual be questioned - it's the very cornerstone of reality. Rather than being an unseen ineffable set of ideological assumptions. A totem. A fetish. Something theistic. But most defintely not religious. Oh no.

No idea what you're on about with the second lot. More lego.

6. NoXion

From your link:

"Peter Piot, the director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said worsening conditions in West Africa contribute to a “perfect storm,” including a growing population, decades of civil war, widespread government corruption, dysfunctional health systems and a growing distrust in Western medicine."

Don't you think those wider, more universal factors might have a greater impact on the spread of Ebola?

7. butchersapron

Have a read of this you 19th century goon wells. Read the last five points in summary. Then stop posting this spook shit.

8. butchersapron

Actually, fuck it, because you won't read it:

9. NoXion

Except that I do question the "profit-seeking individual". There's nothing common sense about it in my experience - I don't seek profits myself, and I've yet to meet anyone in my social circle who does (as opposed to just wanting more money/a better quality of life), so that economist's construction is an abstract chimera that has no relevance to my life as I actually live it, and the fact that the functioning of the world is based on that fabrication is a massive on-going tragedy.

10. butchersapron

It doesn't matter if you do or not. That economics does is the point. You = not relevant. That you now recognise this as an abstract chimera - a fabrication made by humans, oh yes, it sounds ever more def nothing like theology, like religion by the minute.

11. Awesome Wells

Quite possibly.

I'm not there, though, I'm not on the ground in the hot zone. I have only what is reported to go on.

It's also about the attitudes religion fosters with regard to diseases as well. Blaming it on gays etc. Same thing with aids.

12. NoXion

Not all abstractions are religious. Is mathematics a religion because it has abstractions?

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

14. Awesome Wells

what is 'spook shit'?

15. Awesome Wells

your lack of imagination is not my problem

16. Pickman's model

are you leaving your corpse to a coven of necrophiles?

17. NoXion

A common factor in reports from the area is a lack of resources and trained bodies, more so than religion I would say. Unless you have evidence otherwise, then we should consider manpower and resources, and not religion, to be the main thing driving the spread of Ebola.

18. butchersapron

Lego answer. Lego question. Irrelevant.

19. Pickman's model

perhaps you could expand on this attitude you claim religion fosters with regard to disease. do you feel this is something which happens in all religions or just in one or two - and if the latter, perhaps you could name them.

20. Awesome Wells

I don't think I said it was the main reason.

21. NoXion

I point out that the economic individual is an abstraction. You say "herr derr totes not like religion". I reply that abstractions are not limited to religion. Your response is to dribble about fucking lego. Do you actually want to have a discussion, or shall we skip straight to calling each other cunts?

22. Pickman's model

easy there! there's another 324 posts before that's timetabled to happen.

23. NoXion

And I asked if it was significant. Is it?

24. butchersapron

You've already done that i think. If you can't get the point that it's possible for a phenomenon to have contingent characteristics other than its essential defining ones and so talking of the former is worthless in terms of definition then yeah, wasting my time. You might as well talk about lego. It's really not that difficult though.

25. Awesome Wells

I believe it is. Religion is a massive element in these societies.

26. butchersapron

But lol, i can only see theistic thinking if i'm told it's theistic by itself. It must formally declare itself.

27. Pickman's model

and by massive you mean...

28. butchersapron

And all the kissing on the lips and that. Ugh.

29. Awesome Wells

You still haven't explained what 'spook shit' is.

Still not entirely sure why you think i ought to pay you any heed either, demanding I read your wackly little links.

30. Pickman's model

:confused:

frogwoman and Buckaroo like this.