1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Bono history

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by nogojones, Sep 24, 2013.

1. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

2. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

probably meant go fuck yourself you la dee dah cosmopolitan cocksucker

3. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

In response to Wellsian nonsense
    You see what you're doing wrong here?

eatmorecheese likes this.
  4. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I like how he uses big words and phrasing to make himself look clever but the actual argument is incoherent, misinformed bollocks

I imagine the ignore list is now visible from outer space

MooChild and dlx1 like this.
  5. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

^ You talking about Bono or AW ?
    Sounds like Bono

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

it's not 'either/or'

7. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

"Christianity" and "Islam" are popular religions practiced in various different ways worldwide, so that doesn't really answer the question. What specific practices peculiar to popular religions in Africa do you know of that contribute to the spread of Ebola?

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Capitalism. Specifically, competition.

9. NoXion

Don't get it. Capitalism makes use of religion and even religious tropes (the "free hand" etc), but is not itself a religion or a religious practice.

10. butchersapron

You don't think economics is a theology and that this theology doesn't largely decide how (and who) the the countries that are effected by ebola operate/can operate?

frogwoman likes this.
  11. NoXion

No, I think economics is largely a pseudoscience. Bourgeois economists don't make entreaties to the Dollar Spirits, they dress up their stuff in numbers and figures and publish papers and otherwise garb themselves in the trappings of scientific enquiry, without bothering with the substance.

12. butchersapron

That's exactly what they do. Where on earth have you been the last few centuries?

edit: Why does being a pseudo-science mean it can't be s theology btw?

13. NoXion

I'm only 27, but I'm working on that! :D

Are you saying pseudoscience and religion are the same thing? Because I don't think so. As categories they can certainly overlap (think of the Raelians and certain interpretations of UFO mythology), but there are plenty of religions which make no use of pseudoscience at all and plenty of pseudoscience that is completely secular in nature.

14. butchersapron

No i'm not. I'm saying a theology contains all the things that economics does. Pseudo-science or not is not part of my argument. Like lego isn't.

15. NoXion

The point is that bourgeois economists dress up their activities as science, not religion. In fact they go to great lengths to do so. Sure there are a minority libertarians and others for whom bourgeois economics might as well be a religion, but they're the PR flacks and cheerleaders (for certain segments of the ruling class) whose output is for the "benefit" of the masses, they don't make policy. Their job is to (attempt to) justify things after the fact.

16. butchersapron

They might dress it up as science - so do the scientologists. That's not relevant to the question of whether economics/lego is a theology though. You could argue over it's a sport/pretend sport- doesn't impact on whether it's a theology. All/both neither here nor there.

17. NoXion

OK, so what's the godly/spiritual/otherworldly element to bourgeouis economics? Because I must have missed that.

18. butchersapron

Economics. You must have missed it, yeah.

19. NoXion

As I understand it, economics is an attempt to describe things happening in the material world, without reference to ineffable beings or an unseen world of spiritual import. So far as I'm aware Keynesianism doesn't care what one's notions of the ultimate purpose of existence are. But maybe you can enlighten me otherwise?

20. butchersapron

Did you really just type that first sentence? Then follow it with the second? The bit after the comma in the first sentence - tell me you are serious?

21. NoXion

To answer your first two questions, yes and yes. Which comma are you talking about in the first sentence? There's two.

22. butchersapron

The second. But it works for the first too. I'll make it clear:

This is what you think economics does. It doesn't make reference to or set its store in ineffable beings or an unseen world of spiritual import. OK?

23. NoXion

Yes, that's what I think. Am I wrong?

24. butchersapron

Of course you are. Here's one spook.

Wow.

25. NoXion

Well prepare to contain your astonishment once again, because I see nothing religious or spiritual in that link. Care to elaborate? Even just a little?

26. butchersapron

You see nothing ineffable, you see nothing of the unseen in the suggestion of an unseen guiding force behind the entirety of human history and human society. Is that right?

frogwoman likes this.
  27. butchersapron

What do you think of the idea contained within the link? Anything at all? Even a few thoughts?

28. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

The ones they've been asked not to do such as touching the bodies, including mouth contect (kissing iow) of those that have died. I've no idea what the names of such rituals are.

29. butchersapron

None then.

mather and Pickman's model like this.
  30. butchersapron

But i expect they do that. Probably. Off the telly and that.

frogwoman and mather like this.