1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Bono history

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by nogojones, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

Religion didn't create Ebola, and I haven't said that.

Religion is part of the problem. Ebola is difficult to catch otherwise. The issue isn't whether religious practices (which are themselves ridiculous and should be consigned to the dustbin of history) can be modified, it's that they have to be.

And i would be very surprised if these modifications weren't met with any resistance of reluctance.

The issue also extends beyond the current crisis.

2. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Judging by Sierra Leone's lack of public health its just the place to move the U2 Trust shell company. (I'm emailing the Now Show to earn a tenner as we speak)

3. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

[​IMG]

4. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

And I ask again. Can you not think of any secular social practices which might need to be modified during a public health crisis?

5. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Rt Hon. Thingummy

Not wanting to get into a prolonged argument here, but aside from the epidemiological ambiguity this is exactly the sort of western secular argument that so many Africans I've worked with find insulting. How would an African, with their own belief systems and ways of understanding the world, react when told that their practices are "ridiculous and should be consigned to the dustbin of history"?

ETA: And practices do change, but from within, over time. As they do anywhere.

6. Awesome Wells

indeed, why?

7. Awesome Wells

The same as anyone with deep held beliefs I imagine.

If those beliefs are wrong and harmful they need to be challenged wherever they are found.

8. Lo Siento.

Point is pretty self-evident. You want me to spell it out?

9. Awesome Wells

given that you read the part where i said that the fact they can be modified isn't the issue, yes.

10. Lo Siento.

That was exactly the point.

"The point is not that they can be modified, it is that they have to be". If this is the point it applies to all social practices religious or otherwise that might contribute to spreading disease.

But then if you were complaining about hand-shaking or kissing or whatever it would make it harder to make your point about backwards religious Africans and their superstions

11. Awesome Wells

I have no problem with modifying social practices for health reasons if necessary. But does your secular worldview get in the way of that modification? I doubt that every person involved gave in to the medical argument without any resistance. That's what happens with religioni, that's part of why there was a problem in the first place.

Using the term 'backwards relisious africans and their superstitions' is needlessly provocative and is an unreasonable assessment of my position. I haven't referred to people in that way for a very obvious reason and I don't want my words, again, to be misrepresented, and forum users really really need to stop doing this.

12. Lo Siento.

Ah, a little shift of the goalposts there. So now In fact it's not modification that is the problem but religious resistance to modification. Except there's no indication in your original post about Nigerian churches that the parishioners resisted, is there? In fact the idea that secular social practices are easier to modify just comes off the top of your head.

If you would like me to stop using such terms you should stop your very obvious dog-whistling.

13. Awesome Wells

Your choice of terms is not contingent on mine; i did not make any judgement on the people that hold these beliefs. People that hold beliefs such as religious views of the sort that cause problems in places such as those involved here are victims of the prevailing religoius cultural. A lot of that is the fault of the colonial era with european missionaries spreading fire and brimstone that has led to cultures that now want to make homosexuality, for example, punishable by death. That is not a view I would imagine you would defend and its directly the result of religion.

14. Idris2002

[​IMG]

frogwoman likes this.
  15. Awesome Wells

Is this a view that is shared by non-religious people? I would say not.

16. Awesome Wells

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

who the fuck is we ?

the Nigerians are telling this to their own people themselves ..they dont need your help. This is nothing more than a basic public health issue were people congregate and interact...its shaking hands and accepting a wafer ffs . Therell be similar changes to public interaction in schools hospitals workplaces football grounds and public transport .

Western africas misfortune seems to be little more to you than an opportunity to get up on your little Dawkns soapbox and vent your cosmopolitan prejudices

cockhead.

Idris2002 likes this.
  18. Casually Red

which religious beliefs and practices contributed to Ebola....exactly ?

19. Casually Red

extreme poverty and lack of resources and health infrastructure is the only problem worth considering as regards the spread of Ebola.

total red herring

mather likes this.
  20. Awesome Wells

We being people that don't agree with the harm religions cause.

I'm not offering to help people, Sir Boboff and Saint Bonovox are. Band Aid Mark 3 is the issue here and my point was merely that tackling the poison of organised religion would do more to help places like Africa than the proceeds from a charity single in fighting one disease.

Your last paragraph is ad hominem and contains no real substance. What do you mean by 'little dawkins soapbox' and what are 'cosmopolitan' prejudices? Isn't that a bit patronising? I live here in the UK, in the 'cosmopolitan' west, I can't really do much about that.

Twat trumpet.

21. Casually Red

ether substantiate your claim that religion is causing Ebola to spread or get off your soapbox and have a cosmopolitan lie down .

22. Awesome Wells

Christianity, possibly Islam I would think.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...est-africa-religion-church-virus-transmission

Source: http://thehumanist.com/features/articles/are-sinners-spreading-the-ebola-virus

And then there's the video i linked to above.

23. Awesome Wells

How is pointing out the harm that relgion can cause a 'soapbox'? Are you broadcasting from the middle ages or something?

24. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

So is Bono responsible for religion or ebola? I can't keep up here:mad:

LiamO likes this.
  25. Awesome Wells

Imaginary god in heaven, the song is fucking awful.

26. Casually Red

theyve told ther people to stay home...and fast...which means stay out of shops and restaurants . how does that make it spread exactly

its as much sense as blaming soccer matches and pop concerts

you also seem to have missed the fact the first westerner to die from it was a priest treating the infected that nobody else gave a toss about...and that a great deal of the medical care those people depend upon comes from churches Christan aid organizations and missonaries . Most of whom eschew that fire and brimstone nonsense from evangelicals . The spread would have been a lot worse only for them . But no...youre happy to have that crucial medical aid withdrawn on the grounds of your own bigotry regardless of millions depending upon it.

blind idiocy

Pickman's model likes this.
  27. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Anybody know what's happening to the Band Aid 30 money? All anywhere say is Ebola, charity, Blah. I've tried finding out via google but all I've discovered is what every fuck with a single in the charts was wearing on Saturday, that George Osborne is a hero and that elbow is still a thing.

28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

message received from the angry brigade:

CNT36 likes this.
  29. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you're a (conspira)loon :facepalm:

30. Idris2002

Primo here is wondering precisely what you mean by "cosmopolitan":

[​IMG]

frogwoman likes this.