Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maidstone United vs Dulwich Hamlet, 28/12/2019

Stuart Fordyce

For me the issues are mainly in midfield which neither supports attack or defence effectively.

Four at the back isn't working and rarely has for us. We have been best with 3 and full backs playing high.
When Vose plays we have someone in midfield that stops when he loses the ball, partly because he doesn't have the fitness or pace to get back anyway. For a man ten years younger than me he doesn't look or play like it.

Griff_Turnstile

Flitting in & out like Tinkerbell on Meth
Agreed. Time for a change. Relegation is nailed on otherwise.
Must remember the importance of the Aspire Academy to the proposed redevelopment of Champion Hill. If Gavin is pushed out then where does it leave things in relation to that? It’s a question only our directors can answer.

EDC

A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days
Also. I think our crowds will start to suffer. Agree a lot come for the experience rather than the result but there is a limit and I think it will dip to 1,500 soon at home. Great for our division but first time we will see a decline
That’s a lot less than than has been budgeted for although the TV money from the FA Cup would offset some of it.

Pink Panther

Also. I think our crowds will start to suffer. Agree a lot come for the experience rather than the result but there is a limit and I think it will dip to 1,500 soon at home. Great for our division but first time we will see a decline
That’s a lot less than than has been budgeted for although the TV money from the FA Cup would offset some of it.
That's just a random figure. It might dip lower than that, or it might not dip at all. Most people expected a dip when we had a couple of 3,00+ attendances this time last season, but it didn't happen even though results weren't great. We haven't had a daytime league attendance of less than 2,000 since early August despite not winning any of those games, and some have been much higher. I would expect the Tuesday game with Havant in three weeks time to be much less, but that's the last midweek game barring postponements. We've had four FA competition home games that were not budgeted for, with an aggregate attendance of almost 8,000. Even allowing for the sharing of gate receipts that should be sufficient to cover a shortfall of a couple of hundred in average league attendance.

Main factors for me if the club is thinking about changing the manager would be, in order of importance:

1. The financial implications of sacking someone with two and a half seasons left on his contract.
2. The likelihood of us actually being relegated.
3. Timing it so we have the best chance of finding the best long term replacement.

If I thought we were just going to be poor for the rest of the season without any real danger of going down I'd say just leave it, give the current management and squad the remainder of the season, assess the situation at the end of April and make a change then if necessary. Even then there's a precedent for a well funded team keeping faith in an established manager beyond relegation from this division. Havant went down under Lee Bradbury in 2016, won the Isthmian Premier championship at the first attempt in 2017, then won this division in 2018.

EDC

A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days
Is there any league re-organisation at the end of the season, would relegation be back to the Isthmian or one of the Southern Premiers?

Pink Panther

What would the likely financial impact of relegation be? Presumably less prize money but smaller wages and it's not like TV money is a thing!
This was touched upon at the recent supporters forum. Overheads would be lower, so as long as attendances held up we could expect to be very much a big fish in a small pond. The club is currently debt free, it's not as if we've gambled to get to where we are now and might come unstuck financially.

Is there any league re-organisation at the end of the season, would relegation be back to the Isthmian or one of the Southern Premiers?
No, there are now four divisions at the level below rather than just three when we came up. The Suffolk clubs have been moved, it's a more compact division with less travelling, but several other clubs would be in line to move to the Southern League before us.

Reactions: EDC

jezmond

According to a Pitchero article written at the end of November he only joined Margate on a one month loan so he should be due back soon anyway.

chris gil

making football club owners cry since 1893
I thought Ijaha had a great game , busy , energetic , getting stuck in and getting forward , pity about the rest of the midfield really , i think we need 2 defensive midfielders in the side at the moment , be boring and pragmatic as needs must unfortunately . :rolleyes:wistfully remembers the days of swaggering dandyism :rolleyes:

Attachments

Pink Panther

I thought Ijaha had a great game , busy , energetic , getting stuck in and getting forward , pity about the rest of the midfield really , i think we need 2 defensive midfielders in the side at the moment , be boring and pragmatic as needs must unfortunately . :rolleyes:wistfully remembers the days of swaggering dandyism :rolleyes:
We did for the previous two matches, but Taylor got moved back into defence to replace Christian Smith, who was unwell. (Alternatively Nathan Smith could have slotted in directly at left centre back instead.)

pompeydunc

Trouble is we strapped him down to a three year contract in the summer. It'd take a lot of money to pay off the contract.
Well he often goes in the media and says players should do the right thing and tear up their contracts, when not being selected (let alone not performing), so if the time comes, then I'm sure he would not dream of seeking to stick to that contract.

cg__

Just watched the DHFCTV highlights and honestly could have (should have) scored about 4 goals in the first half alone. Have probably seen us create fewer chances across 3 whole games than in that opening 45mins. The defence looks absolutely tragic though.