Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maidstone United vs Dulwich Hamlet, 28/12/2019

Moroccan Sunset

I still find it absolutely frightening that we've got such a good budget and yet we have only one natural centre half in the entire squad (Orlu). The only other one we had we released (Ambroisine) and the rest are midfielders or full backs.

Stuart Fordyce

I didn't understand the thing with Ambroisine. He played practically every minute of pre-season and looked a player, whereas at times I watch Orlu and you can tell his legs aren't taking him where his experience tells him he needs to be (I recognise this well as it's why I don't play any more, well that and two ACL injuries). He also doesn't seem to have pitched up anywhere else that I can see...

Al Cunningham

Brockley Hamlet
After First half I was thinking how are we behind . Exciting football. Missing lots of half chances. Bad goals given away. Goal just before break sets us up for comeback. Second half absolute rubbish could have lost by even more. The problem is you can make a good case for every player but it doesn't work as a team . The bottom line we are never a solid unit and the the story is pretty much the same all season...flatter to deceive. Once behind we really struggle. Very brittle defence. Hate to say it but time for a change .........

Moroccan Sunset

I didn't understand the thing with Ambroisine. He played practically every minute of pre-season and looked a player, whereas at times I watch Orlu and you can tell his legs aren't taking him where his experience tells him he needs to be (I recognise this well as it's why I don't play any more, well that and two ACL injuries). He also doesn't seem to have pitched up anywhere else that I can see...
Completely agree. I personally quite liked Ambroisine. I thought he played well against us last season for Welling. I know he wasn't some people's cup of tea, but I felt he was competent at this level. Pink Panther compared him to Cheick Toure and I felt that's exactly what he was: solid, not spectacular. Given that we had no other centre half to replace him, surely it was better to keep him, rather than shoehorn a player into a position that isn't entirely familiar to them (where have I heard that before?)

Moroccan Sunset

That's a very charitable description of Orlu since he came back in.
A player that captained Dover to promotion to the Conference suddenly looks sub-standard since signing for us? That's strange. It's not like any of the other proven, experienced players that we've signed this season have looked poor... Oh wait.

Stuart Fordyce

We have no idea how to defend as a unit . So easy to find holes .
A lot of the goals we lose are on the break, or when we get caught with our full backs high up the park. The formation we seem to favour just now, with Chapman and Vose ahead of Ijaha and Taylor, leaves us vulnerable to attacks down the area my Dad would call the "inside forward" area, and Hampton and Richmond exploited that on Boxing Day

pitchfork

We don’t have a team just a random collection of individuals who have no passion for the club (you can probably exclude Quade, Nyren and Preston from the rest). Clearly going full time has not worked and whoever made that decision needs to take full responsibility. We lost too many good players because of that decision. I feel players who have to work and play football have more desire and want to represent the club where to them it’s not just about picking up the pay cheque at the end of the week.

The players with have recruited are poor and not at the level you would expect given the investment we have made. We have a become an outstanding social enterprise club that do a lot of good work in the community where results on the pitch don’t matter anymore as the fans will turn up anyway.

Laurie hill

The fourth goal summed it up - lost challenge and smith heads the ball straight to an ex player for a sitter....
Quade had a shocker today and orlu been poor for weeks
Annoying bit is we played well for 10 mins but missed chances before getting a lifeline on 46.
Then just stay in the game

First time I’ve left a game early for over 20 years today - gifting goals like that is hard to watch

RabbleLevi

Unpopular opinion right now but in terms of players sticking the ball in the net from inside the box what can Gavin actually do? The ball is going into the box, clear goal scoring chances are being created, half-chances in abundance, apparently had 14/15 corners today etc... The players are not putting the ball into the net. That’s on the players. They are letting Gavin down.

On Orlu, after we went 2-0 down to Hampton he had given up. Did not look like he was bothered or wanted to be at the club. His passing wasn’t poor, it was lazy, he is capable of better but was not trying...

tonysingh

Random Clever and Witty Strapline
What really grates my cheese is that the players today, you could see that they were disorganised and demoralised to the extent it cost us the game.

Those same players could, and should, have beaten that very ordinary Maidstone side or at the very least made it a lot closer. As it is, after the first 15 minutes and especially in the second half, we just bent over and parted out cheeks.

On paper we have a good, some might say cracking squad. I think Gavin Rose is a total legend at the club. I think we owe him a lot for where he dragged us too. However, if we can't turn this around then it's time for him to go. I feel awful saying that, I truly do. But I wouldn't want the end of his era to serenaded by a cacophony of booing.

EDC

A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days
What really grates my cheese is that the players today, you could see that they were disorganised and demoralised to the extent it cost us the game.

Those same players could, and should, have beaten that very ordinary Maidstone side or at the very least made it a lot closer. As it is, after the first 15 minutes and especially in the second half, we just bent over and parted out cheeks.

On paper we have a good, some might say cracking squad. I think Gavin Rose is a total legend at the club. I think we owe him a lot for where he dragged us too. However, if we can't turn this around then it's time for him to go. I feel awful saying that, I truly do. But I wouldn't want the end of his era to serenaded by a cacophony of booing.
I can’t argue with that at all, well said.

Al Cunningham

Brockley Hamlet
Also. I think our crowds will start to suffer. Agree a lot come for the experience rather than the result but there is a limit and I think it will dip to 1,500 soon at home. Great for our division but first time we will see a decline

RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Fair point, if a couple of those chances had gone it it could have been another Hungerford.
It’s a tough one, I know. If new management come in and we start scoring then no doubt we start to climb the table. This result is particularly crap because it’s a loss by more than two goals, fingers are immediately pointed at the defence. Sometimes the defence collapses, fair enough, but the lack of chances converted has to be the major concern, that is the issue.

liamdhfc

For me the issues are mainly in midfield which neither supports attack or defence effectively.

Four at the back isn't working and rarely has for us. We have been best with 3 and full backs playing high.

PartisanDulwich

sad for our team and supporters
listening to Tom Bale sounded like we could have actually been ahead 3-1 in first 20 mins
but we were not
no luck
Still feel its the defence that is the issue
We could lose all the players bar Dylan, Mills and Preston (in my opinion)
New year is key - that's the red line

Laurie hill

I can take us losing away but it’s the home form that’s killing us this season - I can’t actually remember us playing well at home this season in the league bar the hard fought win against Wealdstone.

at this rate it will come down to winning a couple of those games now - Tonbridge etc

and we can stop that stupid dance warm up after half time - we took forever to come back out today after only 1 min added time and it clearly doesn’t work for us....

RabbleLevi

sad for our team and supporters
listening to Tom Bale sounded like we could have actually been ahead 3-1 in first 20 mins
but we were not
no luck
Still feel its the defence that is the issue
We could lose all the players bar Dylan, Mills and Preston (in my opinion)
New year is key - that's the red line
We could have been 3-1 ahead against Maidstone, could have been 2-0 up against Richmond...that’s not down to the defence.

I think the defence would be more motivated to fight to defend a lead than if they watch the attackers squander chance after chance...

Moroccan Sunset

We could have been 3-1 ahead against Maidstone, could have been 2-0 up against Richmond...that’s not down to the defence.

I think the defence would be more motivated to fight to defend a lead than if they watch the attackers squander chance after chance...
I think it's all connected: the defence gets tense and jumpy because they know they've got to keep it tight because we're not scoring. The attackers know they've got to score because they know we'll concede. It's a vicious circle, IMO.