Maglev trains not dead yet

Discussion in 'transport' started by hash tag, Nov 16, 2014.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

LeslieB likes this.
  2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Braithwaite will be spinning in his grave - sorry - at his linear induction motor development being exploited over there. But pleased as well.
    There are several maglev schemes, but they are not common, unfortunate as I think they are very quiet compared against iron wheels on iron tracks.

3. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

ITYM Eric Laithwaite; I saw him on one the the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures.

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

He was very good in those RI lectures, as were several others.
    I usually enjoyed them ..........

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wooooo!

iamwithnail and Greebo like this.
  6. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

Aren't they horribly inefficient without room-temperature superconductors?

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

I always wondered how they brake. You can't just cut the power to the rails 3 miles out can you, it'd hit the deck doing 400 mph and rip itself apart

LeslieB likes this.
  8. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The system being used in Japan for the construction of the Tokyo-Nagoya line generates lift by the interaction of the train's superconducting magnets (which, being superconductors, maintain their magnetic field for as long as they are kept cold) moving past the passive magnet windings in the track walls. At slow speeds, this lift drops away and the train falls onto rubber wheels. A separate set of coils pushes the train along.

So even in a case of total power loss, the train will "glide" until slow enough to touch down on wheels.

iamwithnail, A380, LeslieB and 2 others like this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

If you crash at 500kph or 360kph, you're going to have a bad day regardless. So long as you keep the track clear, maglev is safer, in theory. No moving parts to wear down, and fail-safe behaviour in a power cut.

The big drawbacks remain cost and interoperability. A 360kph steel wheeled train can slow down and squeeze into existing stations at the "country" end of the high speed line, like the Southeastern services to Kent. Maglev systems must be entirely self-contained (and are a bugger to switch tracks, so favour single end-to-end routes)

teuchter, A380 and hash tag like this.
  11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

12. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

Done that, not got the tee-shirt.
    My first time in China and as I was being driven from Pudong airport, Shanghai toward my destination in Suzhou, this blur went by my right shoulder and disappeared into the distance. I thought I’m having some of that. When we spent a weekend in Shanghai we did the return 36 mile all round trip from Longyan road station to the airport and back. It was amazing to travel at that speed, hardly cost anything and we were also aware it was just a folly, not serving any real purpose other than being a pleasure to ride.
    Great experience I expect at some point the system may expand but the cost may be prohibitive.

Rosemary Jest likes this.