1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madrid - It Fucking Well Rocks!

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

I think people would have to know what I like about cities before expecting too much!

I love it here. The place has mutated into some sort of huge wrongness :cool:

There are a couple of healthy areas (my favourite is around Atocha), but on the whole it's just a mush of wrong goodness. I doubt there's a town planner living today who will admit to any involvement in this, but it does fucking well rock!

ice-is-forming likes this.
  2. Big Gunz

Big Gunz Well-Known Member

Explain what you mean.

3. Stanley Edwards

I've just explored the new river walk. That is actually very well considered and very nice in a very orderly way. Salamanca district is also very orderly and full of twats :)

The rest of Madrid is a bit chaotic. It's all wrong and confusing. The usual seediness of big cities with big tourism industries, but somehow it gets away without any naffness.

Chueca and Atocha are great areas IMO. Real people doing real stuff. Loads going on. New ideas. Good cultural mix. It all seems to have happend accidentally - a very natural, genuine vibe. The 'wrongness' is simply that it wasn't planned to happen this way. That's a good wrongness in a city :)

4. Stanley Edwards

I almost fell out of love with Madrid today.

It can be a hard city!

But, I turned things around :)

Not the sort of city you can expect easy money in. Loads of homeless, street people etc. Loads of cardboard houses. It has it's downside!

5. Stanley Edwards

I'm taking a place in Madrid (Lavapies - the coolest part of town. A positively buzzin' multicultural mix of funness area).

I won't be there! I'm just looking to store furniture and shit. An empty flat in Madrid available to any Urbanites who fancy a break on the cheap. Supermarkets close by. 10 minute walk to all the tourist shit. Very cool bars (Lavapies is rapidly becoming the very, very, coolest international artists bario in Europa (lots of international dudes here)).

Anything I can recover on the rent and bills I have to pay is good with me. I trust you all. Available for 2 years from January 2011. Sort of €100/week for 2 bedroom flat. Or, €60 for a weekend.

Anyone interested PM me. Server fund donation will happen also of course. 50% to my bills. 50% to the U75 server.

I'm not looking for profit here. Just need an official address and storage. All seems to make sense to me.

6. torquemad

torquemad " I'll give you fuck all, champ"

Like the sound of this Stanley. Hope we will be able to take you up on it in 011. 2

7. Stanley Edwards

PM me when you have dates. I'm actually renting a place in Madrid and a place in Granada. Both will be empty for most of the year. Obviously, I will be grateful for anything I can recover. Bus from Madrid to Granada is only €17 if you fancy squashing 2 great cities into a short break.

8. lolo

lolo Well-Known Member

I will definitely be in touch next year for dates for this, went to Madrid for the first time in October – solo trip and loved every minute – such a cool place

9. r0bb0

r0bb0 wheres my balloon

Good thread, has much changed. Is there a party line for raves? :cool:

10. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

What's happened to Stan?

11. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

I suspect he's been harvested by Farmfoods

12. Stanley Edwards

I'm in the other thread.

Anyone looking for cheap accommodation should PM me for details of a very fun, safe, unofficial hostal in Lavapies for €8/night.

Only went to Madrid for a couple of weeks this year, but it still rocks. My mate Juan Carlos put on an excellent installation. He smashed somewhere in the region of 5,000 empty wine bottles into a little gallery space :) Fun, fun, fun.

13. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Which one? There are thousands!

14. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

OOooh, might be going to Madrid in May to visit a lovely lady I met in Ibiza last year. :cool:

15. Johnny Vodka

Flights booked for April 30th - May 5th. :cool:

16. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Hola! We're off to Madrid this weekend. Think I've pretty much got it sorted WRT museums, galleries etc. One thing we have to do, though, is watch the Liverool game on Sunday. Any recommendations for somewhere we can go to watch it?

QueenOfGoths and Johnny Vodka like this.
  17. Johnny Vodka

Maybe you'll bump into Stanley Edwards? :D

18. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

I'd try the James Joyce Irish bar near Plaza de Cibeles. It's ok for an Irish bar, not tacky and they've got some good beers in. There's another Irish bar near Sol called O'Donnell's which is also decent, more of a cheesy tourist trap but maybe better located. You may like to go to El Rastro market on Sunday morning, it's huge and quite good for people watching. Nice bars in that area also.

Hope you have fun! I'm living in Madrid at the mo and the parents are visiting next weekend, so I'll probably be exploring the same museums!

19. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Thanks! I saw some of the Irish pubs listed on the Go Madrid website, making them sound less tacky than such places usually are.

I'll keep an eye out for anyone who might look like an urbanite at the Prado. B-)

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

does it still rock?
    going soon and apparently staying Tirso de Molina
    is it possible to get cider in Madrid?

21. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Still rocks!!

Def got cider. Proper Asturian cider in the right places!! Highly recommended. British Irishy stuff at the usual places too but def not everywhere. Pronounced "see-dra" in Espanish.

When are you thinking about coming? Tirso is a good area with everything and everywhere in every direction. Very central and closer to more alternative kinda action as well as the more touristy centre.

From the airport your options are:

Terminal 1. Aeroexpress yellow bus to Atocha. Fairly fast and regular. 5€. Easy peasy but can be big queues.

Terminal 2ish (you have to walk for ages from T1 for the metro, it sucks). Metro line and change at Nuevos Ministerios, then Tribunal and change to Line 1 light blue. From €4.70 - 5.50 with the mandatory supplement.

Terminal 4. Cercanias train. Goes to Atocha (metro, taxi or walk to Tirso). €2-3 I think. Ballache if youre flying in to other terminals tho, dont bother, altho it is def possible.

My sneaky tip, aside from just getting a taxi however is...

Terminal 1. Bus 200 to Canijellas, the first BIG stop on a horrible roudabout with peeps getting on/off, and then Green line to La Latina right next to Tirso from the metro there. See if you can buy a 'T10 diez viajes' metro ticket and it'll only cos yas €2.40 each and is actually probably the fastest way. Will be slightly more if you pay bus in cash, but not much. Not many people know this route but it works very well.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    ddraig likes this.
  22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

cool! cheers
    are you there atm?
    next week

e2a remember the cider now ta