MacBook Pros 2018 announced by Apple - "barely more than a refresh"

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by cybershot, Jul 12, 2018.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. cybershot

3. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Or £6,209.00 in the UK
    upload_2018-7-13_14-12-7.png

mrs quoad likes this.
  4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

I'll have two.

5. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

4tb SSD. Fuck.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bad news for Mac fans looking for some whizzy new machines it appears:

Pricey too:
    MacBook 2018 release date: New MacBook Pros announced by Apple but they're barely more than a refresh

7. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

They are almost a grand on their own!

8. cybershot

pogofish, editor and Badgers like this.
  9. cybershot

10. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Tbf, id quite like to sell a kidney to get one of the fifteen inchers.

A 4gb dedicated graphics card would open up one fuck of a lot of gaming potential. And I’m not about to move to windows. And my mbp is six (faultless) years old.

So. Yeah. Just the kidney, then.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But a gain barely perceptible in everyday use. The prices are insane.

12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

For higher end graphics they are touting the use of external gpus via thunderbolt 3, they even had a demo at this years dev conference that was using multiple egpus, each in its own enclosure. I'm waiting to see what the apparently probably happening mac mini refresh is like.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well this is a nice way to treat your high=paying customers:

Apple ‘software lock’ prevents repairs on iMac Pro, 2018 MacBook Pros

14. sim667

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  15. cybershot

But it is a pain in the arse if there's no authorised Apple repair centre nearby, which can probably be said for anyone more of an hour outside any major UK city.

editor likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do any other manufacturers employ the same repair-blocking tricks?

17. sim667

Plenty of companies will void warranties if they're carried out by non authorised repairers, and lots of companies will not provide information on carrying out repairs to non authorised repairers.

The only thing I particularly dislike about apples approach is stopping someone from carrying out a repair themselves. But its not uncommon for a third party repairer to do a bodge job on a repair, then a customer have to get the bodge job repair fixed by an authorised repairer. I had a battery replace in an iphone 6 by a non authorised repairer, and it rendered the iphone basically useless. I've also known more than one person pay for a repair on an item, and the repairer has fucked up the repair so badly it then becomes a write off, which of course a 3rd party repairer has no liability for under their t&c's.

Its your choice to buy an item with those restrictions, or not.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They certainly can't in the States and the law is increasingly on the side of the consumer in Europe too.

Regulators state that “warranty void if removed” stickers are absolute nonsense
    https://lifehacker.com/ftc-says-you-can-repair-your-own-electronics-without-vo-1825174202

19. sim667

The law in the states isn't really relevant, and unfortunately EU law probably wont be either soon.

Granted, I would prefer to choose my own repairer once the device is old..... but when its only 2 or 3 year old I'd rather have someone authorised look at it. The unfortunate thing is apple think we're all well off enough to be on a 3 year upgrade cycle on devices, with phones they do have contracts in place to allow that, but with macs, not so much.

The only mac I'd actually buy these days is the mac pro anyway, which is mostly user replaceable parts. The macbooks and the imacs are just silly now.

Also, off topic. You gonna be at wonderland at the Price of Wales next weekend?

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pretty much definitely! I'm going to run a free ticket comp on Buzz too if you're feeling lucky!

21. mrs quoad

Where this becomes 'worth it' in my value estimations is that I've now had 6 (6.5?) years of uninterrupted, crash-free, five-to-seven-days-a-week total workhorse delivery from my MBP. Including a decent amount of weekend gaming, and pretty much every piece of work I've delivered since 2012. And it's still running flawlessly / without a stutter, and not one of the iOS upgrades has been a massive three-day clusterfuck resulting in me wondering whether or not I've destroyed my computer for good (QV: 'upgrade' from Vista; 'upgrade' from Windows 7; and the hard drive replacement in my beyond-dead £1k Dell. And, tbf, most of those 'upgrades' were attempts at de-upfucking the computer I'd originally bought, and bringing it to a point where it could occasionally be used for windows-requiring software). :thumbs:

co-op and Kid_Eternity like this.
  22. sim667

I'm there with my camera again...... say hi if you see me.

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

FYI: Macs use the same hard drives as everyone else so you can't really blame Windows for that particular ill.

24. mrs quoad

Only all the rest #lol

Tbf, it wasn't installing the hard drive per se that was the problem (and there was no hard drive failure, I was just hoping that a SSD would make a teeth-clenchingly slow machine function), it was getting the f***ing OS and files transferred that led to the standard 'oh this is familiar' experience of a three-day 'is my laptop dead?' fuck-up. (Familiar, in the sense of that's also what's happened with every major upgrade I've personally experienced on Windows machines. Perhaps they've got better since 8, mind!)

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Windows has come a long long way since Windows 8. Most reviewers put Mac vs Windows OS as very much equal these days, with both having their good and bad points.

Mind you, given how they've completely destroyed their once invincible-looking domination of the lucrative US education market, I'd imagine Apple are more worried about Chromebooks than Microsoft these days.

26. mrs quoad

Only the preceding 20 years of horror and ballaches to forget, then? It's all ok now!

I still remember my first OS upgrade on a Mac. It was, like. 'Click this. It's installing. It's done now. Away you go.'

----> "ACTUAL OMG." How the hell did I get to my mid-30s, with 20 years of continuous computer ownership, with no idea that shit like this could actually not be a massive fucking nightmare?

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You've been lucky. I worked in an office where they had so much trouble with Macs that the 'network' was reduced to people passing around physical media to transfer, and there was always problems when I was teaching.

But that was some time ago. I'm struggling to remember the last time I had an issue with a Windows upgrade on my desktop but I'm sure plenty of others have had problems.

28. sim667

All anecdotal from me as my only contact with windows is 7, but I do see a lot of people I know in offices saying quite often they get to work, turn on a PC and have to wait an hour or so for updates to complete before they can do anything

29. cybershot

Not really true, remember when Vista used to thrash the disk for no good reason!

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus