Macbook help needed please!

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by clandestino, Dec 7, 2018.

1. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Computer help please!

My Macbook has started acting very erratically. I've done all the usual things to try and fix it - resetting PRAM, running the disc doctor to fix permissions - but nothing seems to be helping. I feel like some sort of nasty malware has got into it and it needs a good hoovering out. What else can I do to try and fix it?

Symptoms are - it's running very slowly, the fan is very loud, whenever I open Chrome it now says it's unable to access my permissions, there's some stuff in the bin that I'm unable to delete because it contains things that can't be read or written (error code 36), it's just generally sluggish and something seems to be up. The Macbook is very old and I'm running OS 10.6.8. - it was working fine up until a few days ago.

Any ideas?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Did you have an external drive connected when the problems started up?

3. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Have you run the First Aid in Disk Utility to check the hard drive is ok?

How much free disk space have you got on your Hard Drive?

4. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Running First Aid on the drive is probably a good start. Also have a look at Activity Monitor to see if there's any obvious problems (processes hogging the CPU etc).

peterkro likes this.
  5. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Turns out the hard drive was failing. It's at the repair shop now. Thanks for the replies!