M11 Link Road (the protest)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Firky, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

was never there myself, sure there are some urbs tho
    bit depressing video

3. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Definitely the case. I'll let them out themselves though if they want. If they're still around ...

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I was there for the eviction. Up on the roof.

The Boy, Firky and editor like this.
  6. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin All about the anatomical snuff box.

I wasn't there for the eviction but I knew quite a few people in the squats. One of them had knocked through the walls to link several houses together, as I recall.

The film, Life in the Fast Lane - No M11 campaign's worth a look.

7. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I spent a little bit of time there, got nicked on "piss Tuesday".

8. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Nice, bit of Augustus Pablo there at the start :D

9. dogDBC

dogDBC Well-Known Member

I was there. Operational feeding was a bit 'meh' and the snacks on the carrier were very poor - lots of sandwich swapping and the usual rock hard apple with a bag of crisps. Everything was assembled at the 'new' Spitalfields and India 99 probably gave the game away in any case.

Lots of standing around in the cold. Had to to use flash gloves inside the 'NI' gloves just to keep hands warm.

A380 likes this.
  10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

did you feel it was right or were you just following orders?

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i was down there a few times but didn't get nicked. did get chucked out of the cemetery the other side of the tracks tho.

12. dogDBC

dogDBC Well-Known Member

Right? Never thought about 'right'. The law said they had to go - not my job to think about right.

Firky and tufty79 like this.
  13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

ahhh the following orders defence

14. dogDBC

dogDBC Well-Known Member

Defence? I wasn't defending myself. Don't be so silly.

15. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

i was there, and wrote a big chunk of the wikipedia article back in the day :D

dogDBC likes this.
  16. el-ahrairah

gosh, there's a lot on the wiki these days. much better!

17. ChrisD

ChrisD .

I used to know some folk who where there.... last week I came across a letter I got back from The Dept of Transport in June 1993 justifying the road proposed through Oxleas Wood. One week after that letter was written the Govt abandoned that one.......

18. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

That Wiki piece is excellent isn't it?! :cool:

19. Blagsta

Seems like another age :(

20. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I think the M11 link road protests were incredibly influential and they coincided with a profound shift going on in academic circles about the benefits of building new roads.

One month after the Claremont Road eviction in December 1994 an arcane report came out published by the Standing Advisory Committee on Trunk Road Assessment called "Trunk Roads and the Generation of Traffic". It formed the basis of what is now commonly accepted and what makes governments of all political persuasions hesitate before proposing new roads to combat congestion. The basic argument that new roads fill up with traffic jams far more quickly than estimates. The reason being that drivers take advantage of them to make new trips and longer trips than they had previously considered making - the phenomena of induced traffic.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ics/rdg/nataarchivedocs/trunkroadstraffic.pdf

Hollis, chilango and ChrisD like this.
  21. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

I live 5 mins away! You'd not know there'd ever been that inspiring protest, but I agree - ever since, when anyone's planning a new highway, they've had to think twice, and really justify it. More importantly, they crystallised in people's minds the question "is this really necessary?"

Pickman's model and chilango like this.
  22. Dynamo

Dynamo Banned Banned

I bet many of those protesters are yuppies now working in high paid jobs. That happens with every generation of protesters and activists they are radical for a few years then they rejoin society. It happened with the hippies too, many of them became the middle classes of the 1980s.

23. Blagsta

How much are you prepared to bet?

24. Dynamo

Dynamo Banned Banned

Well look at the people here who were involved in the Twyford Down protest of1992 Those people look really posh now.

25. Blagsta

You failed to answer my question. Come on, money where your mouth is.

26. el-ahrairah

you're very wrong on that, i've seen their facebook pages :D

27. ChrisD

ChrisD .

Ones I know are working for transport charities: so no -they're not in highly paid jobs and are still fighting the same battles

28. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

The same old issue. He seems ok but if his boss says hit the man, woman or child over the head he will do it straight away. ACAB.

29. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I used to drop in on the way back from delivering parcels in Cambridge. Lots of strange people amongst the activists.

30. Rose Ellen

Rose Ellen New Member

Lol, just stumbled across this looking for something else and had to sign up to say.. I'm in that photo, hahahah :D
    Miss those days, was involved a fair bit, squatted in Claremont Road for some months :)

ChrisD likes this.