1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumiere London, 14-17 January 2016

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Maggot, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

This looks pretty cool. On 14-17 January there will be loads of light installations/artworks at various central London locations, all free to view. Some major landmarks are being transformed. And it's all free.

What is Lumiere London 2016?

There's so many, I'm not sure which ones to go to.

It's by Artichoke who did the Sultan's Elephant amongst other things, so I've got high expectations.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. Maggot

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm definitely going to check this out. I just hope the crowds don't get too crazy.

Greebo likes this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Because it's such a huge scale over a few different sites, I don't expect it to be a problem. So far, I really like the phone box turned into a fish tank.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Maggot

I'm going up there tonight Hope it will be less crowded than Friday and Saturday, also hoping the cold weather will keep the numbers down.

Greebo likes this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Hmmm, snow has been mentioned for the south east :thumbs:

Greebo likes this.
  7. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I really really want to go and see this ...but I'm all cosy under a blanket on the sofa. Hoping for a heatwave at the weekend :(

Greebo likes this.
  8. Maggot

It's definitely worth braving the cold for. (Btw I've just found out where your tag line comes from)

We went last night and managed to see most of them apart from the ones at Kings Cross. Really enjoyed it and it wasn't too busy, especially as they closed so many roads off. You really need to get a map to find them, the guides at most of the sites give them out. I don't think you could see them all in one evening unless you whizzed round on a bike.

My favourites were Westminster Abbey, the Flying Fish on Piccadilly, the Phone Box Aquarium in Grosvenor Square and the stick figures in Regent Street.

The stupid boxes sponsored by Land Rover seemed pretty pointless, but they are providing sponsorship money.

Photos to follow.

Greebo and clicker like this.
  9. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Gonna cycle round as many sites as possible tomorrow night

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

We were out last night anyway and checked out Trafalgar Square (OK but one of the big things didn't light up) and Piccadilly / Regents Street - both of which were cool and were blocked off for traffic.

IMG_2615.JPG

(Photo (c) my daughter :thumbs:)

BCBlues, Greebo and mango5 like this.
  11. Maggot

The one at Oxford Circus is amazing too. You are supposed to be able to change its colour using your smartphone, but it didn't work for me.

Greebo likes this.
  12. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I went to the Kings Cross one this evening after work, or at least tried to. It was massively full of people and not very well laid out at all—you can see the things projected onto buildings, of which there are two, but everything else... One thing was taking place within a building and people were holding their phones up and recording just to be able to tell what it was. I heard some people next to me say "what is it?" "Dunno, let's look at someone's phone".

More broadly I'm coming to the conclusion that public events in London are just really badly planned in terms of what anyone will be able to see. The New Year's Day parade was shit for instance—unless you got there hours early, and stayed in one place until the parade went past, fuck seeing anything. You have to catch an event before it gets popular or you might as well not bother.

quimcunx and Greebo like this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The stick people in regent st were brilliant and the phone box at grovesnor sq. Liked the ghostly figures in st James gardens and Westminster Abbey. The dogs in Coutts were cute though the fountains in trafalgar sq were more of a statement than anything. Great fun. :thumbs:

Maggot and Greebo like this.
  14. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Mrs B & myself liked the stuff up at Kings X, and were really taken with the installation allowing the kids to electronically 'paint' the road.

[​IMG]

and really liked Janet Echelman's "1.8 London"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I have to admit that the Abbey was quite impressive...

[​IMG]

15. Maggot

Greebo and brogdale like this.
  16. brogdale

I thought there'd be loads of pics up in this thread..but..as they're aren't...here's a few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    plurker, Fozzie Bear, BCBlues and 6 others like this.
  17. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Went to Kings X, and am in complete agreement with FridgeMagnet. May try and get into town tonight to see some of the central ones.

Greebo likes this.
  18. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

There's a Gormleyesque display around St.James' square with suspended figures in the air and on buildings which is pretty cool. Yes worth braving the cold for. Anytime they close roads is always good in central Ldn.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Camera battery and spare battery charged, A to Z found, warm clothing sorted out, just about enough money on the Oyster.

VP has a migraine - ain't gonna happen. :(

20. brogdale

Sorry to hear that Greebo.:(

Greebo likes this.
  21. Greebo

*shrug* These thing happen, and your photos have persuaded me that it'd be worth getting myself up early enough tomorrow morning to attempt a few shots, so thank you for that. :cool:

brogdale likes this.
  22. brogdale

Lights on 6.30pm to 10.30pm.

23. Greebo

Drat! Tomorrow night then.

brogdale likes this.
  24. Maggot

A few shots.

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

25. Greebo

Nice one, Maggot. :)

Maggot likes this.
  26. Maggot

27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The phone box was magnificant. I suspect for some at least, like st James or kings x, the lights will go on at dusk but not reagents street as it has to be closed to traffic.

Greebo likes this.
  28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Was planning on going on Sunday, but found myself on air st earlier. Chaos - bad stewarding & planning. Had a a row with stewards in st James sq. fun!

Greebo likes this.
  29. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Planning on going tomorrow but you're not selling it to me ...

Greebo likes this.
  30. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Went Oxford Circus - Leicester Square - Jermyn St - Green Park.

Distinctly underwhelmed I was, I'm sad to say.

Greebo and ash like this.