1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lucky Croydon to get its own Boxpark retail pop up

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 10, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Everyone loves a pop up boxpark! Don't they?

2. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I can't even envisage where they're planning on putting this?

3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

That whole area is stupid mess. We now have a sainsburys local on each end of the street yards apart. On the opposite side of the road from the proposed site there are loads of empty shops.
    Gadget shop? It's a CEX mostly full of DVDs.
    Like SIm says, I can't imagine what they are going to put in them. The Centrale in Croydon still has a whole level without any shops (some tried and failed while the economy was still stable) and the food hall barely lasted a year.

ska invita likes this.
  4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

it says where they are going to put this, where the CEX shop is and that visitor centre. I am assuming they are going to have access down to the wasteland behind and put the actual boxpark there.

that land has been derilict for years - apart from where the theatre was. be good to see it being used albeit temporarily, the site has been drifting for years.

5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Hasn't it been drifting because crazy planning applications keep being objected to by residents, and the one the application that was excepted many many years ago (which kept the theatre) seemed to be blocked by the council in favour of rejected plans, leaving the area in limbo? That's all over now though and they have their stupid tower underway, despite massive public objection.

Sorry, that looks like a statement, it was a question.

6. sim667

Oh yes I do know now....... if you turn right out of the station, its on the right hand side yeah? I used to play quake at a gaming cafe in my yoot right there.

TBF it'll be better than the derelict shithole thats been there for ages.

7. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

yeah, it's been a fuck up for years. as with the whole Whitgift saga, iirc there was competing developers with competing plans fluttering their eyes at Croydon Council for that whole site (anyone remember the sports stadium idea!)

It does finally seem to be resolved, for better or worse, but appears contingent in selling the space. TBH you would think it would be an attractive site for any central london business, given the rail links and likely savings of floor space etc, but maybe not.

8. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Didn't the last owners ( who seemed to be building something that residents approved of, actually wanted and had planning permission), actually buy the land but were blocked by the council. The council wanted their big business buddy's to have it despite constant plan rejections. I think even the current plan got through unfairly and was rubber stamped all over by Boris.

9. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

that does sound quite familiar. i do recall the people who owned the land were blocked by the council from carrying out their plans.

as with the Whitgift situation, its gone on for years. I am fairly sure Commercial Property Surveyors will do a module on Whitgift. iirc 3 major land developers all with crucial land holdings competing for the main prize. I think the ones who own St Georges Walk are the ones left holding the turkey.

10. sim667

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for st georges walk.....

A. They didn't tell you off for skating down it.
    B. They were really quite reasonable for trying to start new shops etc, short term leases etc. They let some freinds of mine do a pop up shop for a month in the run up to xmas selling their art, and I don't think they charged them for the unit at all.

I'm now being nostalgic about the shittest part of east croydon :hmm:

TopCat and Dan U like this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

pop-up malls stop being fucking pop-up after a year. then they should pop-down.

12. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

this is a fair point.

'medium term malls'

13. Pickman's model

after a while they should just sell hipsters.

BigMoaner and Dan U like this.
  14. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

What the fuck could you use a hipster for:eek:
    Already got a cat so the role of useless and annoying things already taken at least a cat deosnt take up much room and is cheap to feed:D

15. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Who wants to be pop up housing will be next an ironic take on the shanty town:rolleyes::mad:

16. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

it's already been and (thankfully) gone around my area.

17. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Making coffee

18. Pickman's model

there are 101 uses for a dead hipster. fewer for a live one, of course.

mather and likesfish like this.
  19. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

I'm not sure Croydon's right for hipsters, they'd just wither and die.

Though if we have 101 uses for a dead one, then perhaps Croydon is right after all...

Callie likes this.
  20. Pickman's model

from where do you think we got our dead hipsters?

likesfish likes this.
  21. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

The Dalston Superstore, no?

22. Pickman's model

[​IMG]
    they were lying on this street

likesfish likes this.
  23. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

This is a lie. The area was trendy before the Boxpark arrived - this is full of chain stores and has totally corporatised the area and made it a great deal LESS trendy.

Chilli.s, spitfire and 19sixtysix like this.
  24. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

25. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I quite liked the Shoreditch one after I went with my niece. We ate cro-nuts (croissant - doughnut hybrid), and I bought some surprisingly effective stuff for glitter-encrusting my lips.

Little shops selling unusual stuff. Cool.

26. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I used to rather like it too - memories of the old-skool café near the Wellesley Road end, where me and other half used to sometimes go for lunch when we both worked in Croydon, and a couple of decent Portuguese cafes at the other end.

sim667 likes this.
  27. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

You could drink a pint of Cronx and have a Cronut in Croydon

Much more fitting.

28. Pickman's model

yeh but it's not really pop-up now it's apparently permanent. and have you noticed that on 'the apprentice' they always have some task based round that 'pop-up mall'?

29. Pickman's model

30. Pickman's model

boxpark in shoreditch is of course not in shoreditch. but let's not let its location get in the way of associating it with shoreditch.

davesgcr likes this.