1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love Blackheath

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Mr Blob, Aug 4, 2012.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

Thank your confirming my suspicions.
    1868 - that should be long enough to forgive and forget :D

Maggot likes this.
  2. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

It's more to with class. Focussing on colour is daft and leads to such liberal fallacies as seeing an ethnically mixed establishment as somehow being 'progress' and something to be celebrated.

3. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Sydenham hill ftw.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

Oh yeah? Looks a bit expensive...

5. spanglechick

We've just bought a three bed house (ex council) for £250,000 - if you want a pretty Victorian terrace, it is expensive. But in the estates it's affordable, nice, and not far from the number 3 bus stop to whizz you into Brixton, or sydenham station for the train to central London. And then Sydenham station is even on the east London line.

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Want, yes, afford, probably not. Any 30s houses around? I quite like those too.

7. spanglechick

moreso down in sydenham proper, i should think.

basically, we set a 3 mile radius of where we live now, ruled out places we don't like (thornton heath comes up a lot), and saw what came up in our price range. then we cross-referenced that with ease of access to brixton, herne hill and central london. west norwood was favourite, but the only things that came up were grim... you can plan all you like, but if the houses aren't there to buy in your range, you have to look elsewhere or be prepared to wait and hope.

8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Ta.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

You can regaurd them any way you like but the reallity is that it's in selhurst which is in the London bourgh of Croydon.

xenon likes this.
  10. xenon

xenon ·≈0

Peple always get the hate on for Croydon.

Though TBF. They've probably been there.

11. Maggot

Maggot .

There's a great little deli right by Blackheath Station - can't remember what it's called, but it does lovely pies, quiche and veggie Scotch eggs.

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

As I keep saying, Croydon is a big place, the largest London Borough. Think of the difference between bermonsey and the southbank , both in SE1. I love where I live, but yes there are some shitty bits in Croydon.
    Or what about that recent murder in new addington, the worst place in 'Croydon' . . . . which is actually in Mitcham in the Borough of Merton.
    Croydon gets a bad rep.

13. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

One of the problems I always found staying in Blackheath was that it's full of places like that but nowhere to buy a cheap tin of beans.

oryx likes this.
  14. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

It (New Addington) was in the London Borough of Croydon when I lived there, CRO postcode etc.

15. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

That's what my bro' used to say when he lived off Fulham Road. You could walk out of the door and find an antique vase, or at least a Swatch* within five minutes, but were buggered if you wanted a pint of milk or a paper.
    * it was the 80s!

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

It depends whether you're defining 'London' as

- the 1889-1965 County of London
    - the post 1965 Greater London Council / Authority area
    - the London postal area
    - the London telephone dialling code area
    - the pre 2000 Metropolitan Police area
    - inside the M25
    - travelcard zones 1 to 6
    - the 'Greater London Urban Area'

all of which have different boundaries

:p

(disclaimer - some of my posts on this thread may not be entirely serious)

17. Maggot

Maggot .

And I keep correcting you -- Bromley is the largest borough.

And New Addington is in Croydon.

18. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Maybe I mean the greenest.
    Check the news, murder, new addington, see what you find out about the location.

19. ATOMIC SUPLEX

They may all be meaningless boundaries but apart from the dated ones croydon falls within the London area in all of them.

20. spanglechick

Have you become confused because the girl lived with her mother in Merton, went to school in Merton, but the murder happened in new addington - which is Croydon?

Maggot likes this.
  21. Maggot

Maggot .

I don't need to check the news. I know New Addington is in Croydon.

[​IMG]

22. xenon

xenon ·≈0

It's alright I know. :) Grew up in Thornton Heath, went to primary school in Croydon area.

Perversely perhaps, I always kinda liked the blocky post modern concrete jungle that a lot of Croydon town centre looks like. It looked sorta filmish...

Don't know if New Addinton's the worst place in Croydon. It's definitely in Croydon burrugh though.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus