1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loughborough Junction regeneration project, inc. Farm site

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Crispy, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Two weeks ago, Lambeth found out about the London Regeneration Fund, which aims to "help London’s high streets and workplaces by supporting projects that are innovative and locally specific." Up to £2.5m per project is available. The deadline for applications is this Friday.

So they've spent 2 weeks frantically trying to put a bid together.

I'm not 100% but I believe the site also covers the garages/sheds between the estate and the breakers' yard. Refurbishment of vacant Rathgar Road arches for short-term temporary lets is also on the cards. They'd also like to open one of these arches up to provide a pedestrian route under the railway to link up with Station Avenue.

[​IMG]

As per the minutes of the LJ Neighbourhood Planning Forum ( View attachment 77420 View attachment 77421 ) (further notes from Gramsci here)

• The site is council land and a Key Industrial Business Area
    • Focus of bid needs to be employment based. Aiming for 100 jobs.
    • Space for training and employment
    • Possible outdoor gym and remnants of the farm?
    • Studios and workspaces
    • No food and drink (POP has left a bad taste and some councillors are keen not to repeat mistakes)
    • Meanwhile Space CIC and LJAG are involved
    • Lambeth want Loughborough EMB and LETRA on board too.
    I imagine we'll be able to get more details after Friday.

The decision for funding should be made before the end of the year.

2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If they have put the gym in the plan that will pour some oil on troubled waters.

3. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

At the meeting on 16th the issue of this bid, what it's merits might be etc, was pretty much completely hijacked / submerged by the passionate resentment felt by some people towards LJAG, the farm, Anthea, whether or not people who live on the estate ever visit the farm etc etc.

One thing I remember is someone asking what will happen if nothing like this is done, if no funding is secured for a plan like this one: Whether or not Lambeth could choose to just sell the land to something like (her example) a giant hangar-like pet supplies shop.
    Far as I recall the answer to this was yes, if it creates employment.

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  4. Crispy

One worrying thing is that Lambeth evidently don't have the manpower to manage the construction and operation of such a project, so will be relying on a patchwork of community groups and businesses to somehow provide coherent leadership.. As Pop has shown, this has the potential to cause distortion of the brief, and there's potential for all sorts of mismanagement/waste/delays.

Would also be good to know how long they expect all this to last. What's the long-term plan?

Greebo likes this.
  5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Network Rail must be involved with this to some extent, if opening up the railway arches is part of the plan.

I wonder if the KIBA designation applies to the arches themselves too.

Making a new connection between the two sides of the tracks seems like a good thing in principle, to me.

Greebo likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Are you sure about that? I had a nosey round an hour ago, and there is a substantial yard full of red shipping containers with people working there - not sure what they do, but it is clearly an active business of some kind.
    So more than 1/2 your site as indicated by the red boundary seems to be in current commercial use.

Greebo likes this.
  7. Crispy

bimble says that both areas were included in the plans they saw, and I've heard this information 2nd hand from someone else too.

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  8. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I only visited the thread because it had the words "regeneration" and "[city] farm" in the title. On the face of it, "development" and homogenisation of a city farm is a bad thing. Indeed, it might be a step to gentrification...

Is the farm seen as that?

Or what? (Feel free to be brief!)

9. bimble

The farm is perceived by some (not me) as an invasion of middle class organic cupcake waving twits on what was once apparently (I'm not clear on the legal backstory to this) land belonging to the Loughborough Estate.

Gramsci likes this.
  10. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Ah, thanks.

An invasion... 25-30 years ago? Or has it been taken over by cupcakeistas?

11. teuchter

The invasion has been within the last 5 years I think.

12. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

OK, I misremembered. Was it wild land before? (My main reason for supporting city farms as a concept is that they're wilder and less rule-bound than the average urban landscape...)

13. teuchter

Vacant plot previously I think. But I don't know the longer term history of it. I'm sure it will come out in the wash in this thread.

Out of interest why do you support the "wildness" concept? From ecosystem point of view, or other?

Personally, rows of growbags don't match my concept of wilderness.

Belushi likes this.
  14. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I could say it was for biodiversity and shit, especially if I were writing a funding application :D

But it's more political-aesthetic. The existence of a space that's the opposite of a shopping mall.

If this one's really a row of growbags, or if it's excluding people who live in the neighbourhood (by waving chamomile tea at them or otherwise) it can get stuffed.

15. teuchter

I don't want to sound like I'm particularly anti it. As far as I know it's open to everyone, and I'm sure lots of people get a lot out of it.

Not sure if there's a strong argument to have it in this particular location. There may be better uses for this particular site. That aren't shopping malls.

16. Crispy

South London Makerspace have been asked to endorse the funding application. Given that a) the alternative is probably selling the land to developers, and b) that more studios/workshops in the area is a good thing, we decided to endorse the project, risky and loosely-defined as it is.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Brixton Hatter and editor like this.
  17. teuchter

So is it a meanwhile project or permanent?

18. Crispy

"25 years" is the number being thrown around.

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, for such long-term useage I would have thought the Farm land could more properly used as an imaginative housing scheme (remember it was pointed out that this land belonged to Loughborough Estate EMB).

The railway arches behind seem derelict/disused. Plenty of scope for workshops/studios there I would of thought - plus the extra through way to link Styles Gardens/Station Avenue, LJ Station, CHL.

20. Crispy

My suspicion is that NR have other ideas about the arches, given the "meanwhile" us assigned to them in this plan.

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not more coffee bars surely? - the two at the station now are surviving, but not exactly bustling.

22. teuchter

If it's KIBA designated then it couldn't be housing.

23. teuchter

They're the same arches as accessed from the other side on Rathgar Rd (I assume).

At a recent consultation the NR man was pointing out that many of the arches in LJ are empty. This in response to people saying that redeveloping would push out existing businesses.

24. Crispy

Many of the arches in LJ are empty because they are only accessible from long dark alleys, and are in a state of general ruin. Some don't even have concrete floors.

25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If the Rathgar Road arches are empty and in disrepair, then those ones should be fitted up. They are closer to the centre of the newly vibrant Loughborough Junction Village, and repairing derelict arches to turn them into community facilities sounds a really constructive thing for Network Rail to do.

26. bimble

Where's this ?

27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Aeryn and bimble like this.
  28. concerned1

concerned1 behind the small print

They are Mears the Contractors who are using the Shipping containers. They are working on Loughborough Estate fitting new kitchens/bathrooms to properties with outdated facilities.

CH1 likes this.
  29. Beasley

Beasley Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the history of all these railway arches?

Were they always enclosed as work spaces etc or were they originally left open?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  30. Crispy

They were left open when built, and have been converted piecemeal over time. The less accessible ones still have a dirt floor.

When the first tracks came through, it was literally all fields.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015