Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I don't fully understand the merger. Coop site says it is good deal for Nisa shops.

Co-op completes acquisition of Nisa Retail Limited

This closure contradicts what Coop have said.

The Coop store in LJ has never worked that well. Not staff fault. Its to small. Does not have space for all Coop range. Regularly runs out of stock.

Whereas the bigger one in Brixton road has more space and is better stocked.

So if they take over Nisa site it should improve matters.

As I use Loco opposite Tesco for my cheap beers and paypoint ( which works not all the time) as well as chat. I have started to buy some groceries there. Its much quicker than Coop or Tescos.

2. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

The Coop in Loughbrough Junction works incredibly well, which is part of the problem. Talking to the staff it's always smashed its budgets, so on a KPI front, it works. But from a customer experience perspective it isn't the best, but hands down beats the service in the local Tesco and Nisa stores.

Gramsci likes this.
  3. Gramsci

I've never used Nisa so can't comment. I don't use Tescos now but always found staff helpful at LJ Tescos in past.

I use Loco opposite Tescos whose career is somewhat chequered. But I always like the Polish mainstay Monika and the banter there. People from estate use the erratic paypoint. Ive spent more time chatting there than shopping. It is genuine convenience store. And great for chats.

On the Coop shop. I'm a member. They know me and treat me well

4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Work going on at the old David Grieg shop. (You can see the lovely mosaic at the entrance inside). Man when I asked said it was going to be a restaurant.

Waladli, alcopop and CH1 like this.
  5. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

What kind?

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I don’t know! Should have asked. Hopefully not just a takeaway, there’s a garden / yard out the back.

alcopop likes this.
  7. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Nisa shop is shutting today . :( He said maybe January it might re open. That’s a long time.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's an odd sounding arrangement. Surely it's a goner now?

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Maybe the owner is some sort of franchisee and needs to do a refit?
    Similar to the shop which was Loco and now isn't.

10. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

And cats!

Gramsci and bimble like this.
  11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I don't understand it either but as Gramsci says it seems quite likely co-op might move across the road , just weird they said it will be closed for almost half a year.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It'll be one hell of a refit if it goes on till Jan 2019!

CH1 likes this.
  13. aka

aka Brixton Hill

someone's bluff is being called. Nisa is a dharma egg of franchisees.

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I told you it would make a good gallery.

15. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

What is up with all those "hands off Loughborough" posters? I was up in the gardens the other day and saw a couple on the way

16. Gramsci

Have you photo? I haven't seen them.

17. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

If I'm up that way over weekend I'll take a photo

Gramsci likes this.
  18. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Police have said they are removing stop/search restrictions in Camberwell and bits of Lambeth as well, after the knife attacks

19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Have you got more info on that and what it means? A link maybe? I'm interested. The news this morning (four people stabbed in one attack up the road a few meters from where two people have been murdered in the last few weeks, this is not normal, or I hope it's not normal.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Not a lot. A friend in Southwark told me earlier in day and I checked twitter, this is the map from Southwark police twitter, and this is the tweet

"Following yesterdays violence in #CamberwellGreen further Section 60 search powers have been authorised in the highlighted area. These powers are authorised between 15:00 on the 17th Aug until 05:00 on the 18th Aug."

[​IMG]

21. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

New shop open on the little parade next to Hero of Switzerland: it’s half head shop half food (snacks drinks ice cream cake). Very friendly people, hope it works .

23. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

What is the story with the Loughborough Master Plan? I was having a look around to see what it said about East Brixton Station but am still not clear what status is. The council website has this helpful graphic

[​IMG]

24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Can you put the url please? Or choose full size for your picture - looks like it's a thumbnail

25. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

That's the joke - this is what I found - the roadmap info on their site!

editor likes this.
  26. Gramsci

Its been consulted on but not finished by officers yet. This is because of the dispute over future of the adventure playground in Gordon Grove.

BusLanes likes this.
  27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Saw the hoardings up for the LJworks thing yesterday. The text on it seemed pretty much 'gentrification here soon' to me, and in the context of things going on recently/locally somewhat facepalm, PR wise. Either the people running these things just don't get it, or the discussions we have here are simply not representative of how most local people feel about stuff. Although this will be taken as a troll comment, honestly I'm not really sure which is the case.

28. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Probably a mix of the two. At some point in time, you would expect the gentrifiers to outnumber the locals (whether pro or anti) so the anti-gentrification view on U75 will eventually become a minority view.

alcopop likes this.
  29. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

'Gentrifiers' are not necessarily 'pro' gentrification.

30. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

True. I added the pro-anti bracket to the second bunch but forgot the first bunch. But, in general terms, it's a fair statement.